• Welcome to Tux Reports: Where Penguins Fly. We hope you find the topics varied, interesting, and worthy of your time. Please become a member and join in the discussions.

No Index WP Comments and/or Post

doublespaces

Flying Bird
XenWord Professional
I see a lot of people using the excerpt. The issue with that for me, is many people are Forum first members. So if using the full post option, perhaps there is a way to no-index the forum or wordpress texts and comments.

Now, beyond just the post itself, you've got duplicated replies to the article which appear on both the forum and wordpress. At the minimum, I'd say the option to no-index this stuff on the blog side would be a good idea. I'm not sure how that relates to SEO by disconnecting the comments to a post and basically splitting them across a domain, but if you want to avoid duplicated content, I think some kind of no-index feature would be good.

LPH

Flight Director
Flight Instructor
If your members are forum first then it's fairly simple. Post the full body in the first post of the thread. Grab the thread ID from the browser, create a new WP post but paste the thread ID.

Warning: Do NOT edit the WP post. It will overwrite the thread. Version 3.3.3 fixes this issue. Please open a support ticket if you'd like an early copy.

doublespaces

Flying Bird
XenWord Professional
If your members are forum first then it's fairly simple. Post the full body in the first post of the thread. Grab the thread ID from the browser, create a new WP post but paste the thread ID.

Warning: Do NOT edit the WP post. It will overwrite the thread. Version 3.3.3 fixes this issue. Please open a support ticket if you'd like an early copy.

Okay, and does this automatically no-index the WP post and WP comments?

Gracie

Dogs Times Writer
LPH is describing this guide. Once connected, then the XenForo replies will become WordPress comments, vice-versa. I'm not sure on no-index rules.

doublespaces

Flying Bird
XenWord Professional
Thanks. Yes I understand that comments will get copied back and forth, however this is regarding no-index specifically.

doublespaces

Flying Bird
XenWord Professional
After thinking about it, I would actually prefer that the no-index comes on the forum side as search engines tend to favor blogs over forums for content. There already exists a xenforo addon which will no-index a thread based on the thread prefix. Is it possible to set the thread prefix when making a blog post to something like "Article" or "Blog"? This would solve the no-index problem for me if that could be done.

Making this possible would eliminate entirely the need for an excerpt to avoid duplicate content issues with the post and comments.

@LPH is this possible? To set a default Thread prefix for all posts?

Last edited:

doublespaces

Flying Bird
XenWord Professional
No. The rel=”nofollow” is not part of any links but you could easily add it to the code.

Thanks. We actually want noindex, rather than nofollow in regard to duplicate content concerns. And if a forum side solution cannot be found, then a blog noindex would have to be done, and I'll ask you again how this may work at that time if you're available :)

LPH

Flight Director
Flight Instructor
To follow up. According to Google, you cannot noindex a link. It's based on the meta robots tag in the theme. I'd also disagree with Albert that adding nofollow would help.

Now, if you are trying to add a thread prefix at the time of publishing then it is part of XenWord 4 (for XF 2) but not part of XenWord 3. The coding is different for XenForo thread prefixes but I'll see what can be done for XenWord 3. If I recall from a previous attempt -- it was cryptic.

doublespaces

Flying Bird
XenWord Professional
To follow up. According to Google, you cannot noindex a link. It's based on the meta robots tag in the theme. I'd also disagree with Albert that adding nofollow would help.

Now, if you are trying to add a thread prefix at the time of publishing then it is part of XenWord 4 (for XF 2) but not part of XenWord 3. The coding is different for XenForo thread prefixes but I'll see what can be done for XenWord 3. If I recall from a previous attempt -- it was cryptic.
You are correct. You can no follow but that isn't what I want for the duplicate content issue. The noindex must be a meta tag as far as I know. If we can set a default prefix as I explained before, then there exists an add-on to insert the meta tag where necessary. This will make the full XF and WP site maps to be valid I believe.