• Welcome to Tux Reports: Where Penguins Fly. We hope you find the topics varied, interesting, and worthy of your time. Please become a member and join in the discussions.

No bootable DVD drive to install Win 7 upgrade with?

K

KG

Flightless Bird
If I'm correct after perusing various MS knowledge base and forum articles our system, a home
built Win XP home, 2 Gb Abit NF7-2, 2.3 AMD, 2 hdd, CD & non-bootable DVD drive, does not need to
boot the Windows 7 Home Upgrade DVD to do clean install of Win 7. If I boot XP, insert Win 7
Upgrade DVD in the DVD drive and select install it will do a clean install of Win 7 on the same HD
that had Win xp on it, correct? Then I could just transfer the image to a new HD after formatting
it using Win 7, correct? Thanks much for any help you may provide.
Thank You kgsAT@msbx.net

To reply to this email please remove the AT
after the kgs in the reply to address as shown above.

Never ever underestimate the incompetent.

C

Conor

Flightless Bird
In article <om3ml5l7taf4m6grcm3lg0vp1vuufctve6@4ax.com>, KG says...
>
> If I'm correct after perusing various MS knowledge base and forum articles our system, a home
> built Win XP home, 2 Gb Abit NF7-2, 2.3 AMD, 2 hdd, CD & non-bootable DVD drive, does not need to
> boot the Windows 7 Home Upgrade DVD to do clean install of Win 7. If I boot XP, insert Win 7
> Upgrade DVD in the DVD drive and select install it will do a clean install of Win 7 on the same HD
> that had Win xp on it, correct? Then I could just transfer the image to a new HD after formatting
> it using Win 7, correct? Thanks much for any help you may provide.
> *****************

Your DVD drive is bootable. The Abit NF7 supports booting from optical
drives. Set the BIOS options correctly,

--
Conor

I'm not prejudiced. I hate everybody equally.

K

KG

Flightless Bird
Your DVD drive is bootable. The Abit NF7 supports booting from optical
drives. Set the BIOS options correctly,

--
Conor

I'm not prejudiced. I hate everybody equally.

I'll be dammed your right, The BIOS only says CDROM, nothing about DVD but if I set the BIOS to
boot CDROM it boots Win 7 install DVD fine. Thank much, I should have had more faith in ABIT.
Thanks again and have a good one.

On Sat, 23 Jan 2010 10:23:11 -0500, KG <kgsAT@msbx.net> wrote:

>If I'm correct after perusing various MS knowledge base and forum articles our system, a home
>built Win XP home, 2 Gb Abit NF7-2, 2.3 AMD, 2 hdd, CD & non-bootable DVD drive, does not need to
>boot the Windows 7 Home Upgrade DVD to do clean install of Win 7. If I boot XP, insert Win 7
>Upgrade DVD in the DVD drive and select install it will do a clean install of Win 7 on the same HD
>that had Win xp on it, correct? Then I could just transfer the image to a new HD after formatting
>it using Win 7, correct? Thanks much for any help you may provide.
>*****************
>Thank You kgsAT@msbx.net

SNIP

Thank You kgsAT@msbx.net

To reply to this email please remove the AT
after the kgs in the reply to address as shown above.

Never ever underestimate the incompetent.