1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News reader for Win7

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Sunny, Jul 14, 2010.

  1. Sunny

    Sunny Flightless Bird

    For use on a "Netbook" ?
    With the demise of Outlook Express in Windows7 is anyone using Windows
    live Mail as a news reader?
    My searching so far seems to point that the only news reader capability is
    restricted to the soon to defunked microsoft news server. (Which will soon
    be re-directed web based "forums")
     
  2. Bob Hatch

    Bob Hatch Flightless Bird

    On 7/13/2010 11:56 PM, Sunny wrote:
    > For use on a "Netbook" ?
    > With the demise of Outlook Express in Windows7 is anyone using Windows
    > live Mail as a news reader?
    > My searching so far seems to point that the only news reader capability is
    > restricted to the soon to defunked microsoft news server. (Which will soon
    > be re-directed web based "forums")
    >
    >


    Lots of people are using WLM. I tried it and didn't like it. I then
    tried Thunderbird as well as a couple of others like Agent. Thunderbird
    was the one I settled on. It's easy to use and the cost is right. :)


    --
    "There are no jobs that Americans
    will not do. There are jobs Americans
    will not be hired for because an
    illegal alien has taken it."

    "Illegal Alien = Job Thief"

    http://www.bobhatch.com
    http://www.tdsrvresort.com
    http://www.keepazsafe.com/
     
  3. Gordon

    Gordon Flightless Bird

    On Wed, 14 Jul 2010 16:56:07 +1000, Sunny wrote:


    > My searching so far seems to point that the only news reader capability
    > is restricted to the soon to defunked microsoft news server. (Which will
    > soon be re-directed web based "forums")



    Don't know where you got that from. Any newsreader will connect to any
    NNTP server...
     
  4. Sunny

    Sunny Flightless Bird

    "Bob Hatch" <bob.hatch@ymail.com> wrote in message
    news:4c3d63aa$0$32374$c3e8da3@news.astraweb.com...
    > On 7/13/2010 11:56 PM, Sunny wrote:
    >> For use on a "Netbook" ?
    >> With the demise of Outlook Express in Windows7 is anyone using Windows
    >> live Mail as a news reader?
    >> My searching so far seems to point that the only news reader capability
    >> is
    >> restricted to the soon to defunked microsoft news server. (Which will
    >> soon
    >> be re-directed web based "forums")
    >>
    >>

    >
    > Lots of people are using WLM. I tried it and didn't like it. I then
    > tried Thunderbird as well as a couple of others like Agent. Thunderbird
    > was the one I settled on. It's easy to use and the cost is right. :)


    Thanks, Looks like I have to use Agent or Thunderbird then :)
    Are they both OK as e-mail programs as well ?

    She who must be obeyed now has an iPod touch and IPad for travelling, and
    needs a wifi point for e-mail access using Outlook, I use a Netbook that
    can use wifi or Ethernet access, but it comes with Win7 and no e-mail/news
    reader programs. My home computers use WinXP.
     
  5. Tom Lake

    Tom Lake Flightless Bird

    "Sunny" <wombathouse@yahoo.com.au> wrote in message
    news:kcd%n.819$Yv.786@viwinnwfe01.internal.bigpond.com...
    > For use on a "Netbook" ?
    > With the demise of Outlook Express in Windows7 is anyone using Windows
    > live Mail as a news reader?
    > My searching so far seems to point that the only news reader capability is
    > restricted to the soon to defunked microsoft news server. (Which will soon
    > be re-directed web based "forums")


    WLM can use any news server. Where did you get the idea it's restricted?
    I like it because it's free and it works the same as Outlook Express.

    Tom L
     
  6. Rodney Pont

    Rodney Pont Flightless Bird

    On Wed, 14 Jul 2010 07:18:55 +0000 (UTC), Gordon wrote:

    >On Wed, 14 Jul 2010 16:56:07 +1000, Sunny wrote:
    >
    >> My searching so far seems to point that the only news reader capability
    >> is restricted to the soon to defunked microsoft news server. (Which will
    >> soon be re-directed web based "forums")

    >
    >Don't know where you got that from. Any newsreader will connect to any
    >NNTP server...


    I'll back that up. I'm using WLM for my news on W7 and am not using the
    microsoft news servers.

    --
    Regards - Rodney Pont
    The from address exists but is mostly dumped,
    please send any emails to the address below
    e-mail rpont (at) gmail (dot) com
     
  7. Gordon

    Gordon Flightless Bird

    On Wed, 14 Jul 2010 03:49:10 -0400, Tom Lake wrote:

    > "Sunny" <wombathouse@yahoo.com.au> wrote in message
    > news:kcd%n.819$Yv.786@viwinnwfe01.internal.bigpond.com...
    >> For use on a "Netbook" ?
    >> With the demise of Outlook Express in Windows7 is anyone using Windows
    >> live Mail as a news reader?
    >> My searching so far seems to point that the only news reader capability
    >> is restricted to the soon to defunked microsoft news server. (Which
    >> will soon be re-directed web based "forums")

    >
    > WLM can use any news server. Where did you get the idea it's
    > restricted? I like it because it's free and it works the same as Outlook
    > Express.
    >
    > Tom L


    Except beware of the new Beta version - it's considerably different.



    --
    Registered Linux User no 240308
    Ubuntu 10.04 LTS
    gordonDOTburgessparkerATyahooDOTcoDOTuk
    to email me replace the obvious!
     
  8. Bob Hatch

    Bob Hatch Flightless Bird

    On 7/14/2010 12:25 AM, Sunny wrote:
    > "Bob Hatch"<bob.hatch@ymail.com> wrote in message
    > news:4c3d63aa$0$32374$c3e8da3@news.astraweb.com...
    >> On 7/13/2010 11:56 PM, Sunny wrote:
    >>> For use on a "Netbook" ?
    >>> With the demise of Outlook Express in Windows7 is anyone using Windows
    >>> live Mail as a news reader?
    >>> My searching so far seems to point that the only news reader capability
    >>> is
    >>> restricted to the soon to defunked microsoft news server. (Which will
    >>> soon
    >>> be re-directed web based "forums")
    >>>
    >>>

    >>
    >> Lots of people are using WLM. I tried it and didn't like it. I then
    >> tried Thunderbird as well as a couple of others like Agent. Thunderbird
    >> was the one I settled on. It's easy to use and the cost is right. :)

    >
    > Thanks, Looks like I have to use Agent or Thunderbird then :)
    > Are they both OK as e-mail programs as well ?
    >
    > She who must be obeyed now has an iPod touch and IPad for travelling, and
    > needs a wifi point for e-mail access using Outlook, I use a Netbook that
    > can use wifi or Ethernet access, but it comes with Win7 and no e-mail/news
    > reader programs. My home computers use WinXP.
    >
    >


    Both can be used as email programs. Agent is no free, T-Bird is. That
    said I don't like to use the same program for email and newsgroups. Just
    my quirky style. I use Outlook for email, T-Bird for newsgroups.


    --
    "There are no jobs that Americans
    will not do. There are jobs Americans
    will not be hired for because an
    illegal alien has taken it."

    "Illegal Alien = Job Thief"

    http://www.bobhatch.com
    http://www.tdsrvresort.com
    http://www.keepazsafe.com/
     
  9. Gordon

    Gordon Flightless Bird

    On Wed, 14 Jul 2010 01:32:41 -0700, Bob Hatch wrote:

    > On 7/14/2010 12:25 AM, Sunny wrote:
    >> "Bob Hatch"<bob.hatch@ymail.com> wrote in message
    >> news:4c3d63aa$0$32374$c3e8da3@news.astraweb.com...
    >>> On 7/13/2010 11:56 PM, Sunny wrote:
    >>>> For use on a "Netbook" ?
    >>>> With the demise of Outlook Express in Windows7 is anyone using
    >>>> Windows live Mail as a news reader?
    >>>> My searching so far seems to point that the only news reader
    >>>> capability is
    >>>> restricted to the soon to defunked microsoft news server. (Which will
    >>>> soon
    >>>> be re-directed web based "forums")
    >>>>
    >>>>
    >>>>
    >>> Lots of people are using WLM. I tried it and didn't like it. I then
    >>> tried Thunderbird as well as a couple of others like Agent.
    >>> Thunderbird was the one I settled on. It's easy to use and the cost is
    >>> right. :)

    >>
    >> Thanks, Looks like I have to use Agent or Thunderbird then :) Are they
    >> both OK as e-mail programs as well ?
    >>
    >> She who must be obeyed now has an iPod touch and IPad for travelling,
    >> and needs a wifi point for e-mail access using Outlook, I use a Netbook
    >> that can use wifi or Ethernet access, but it comes with Win7 and no
    >> e-mail/news reader programs. My home computers use WinXP.
    >>
    >>
    >>

    > Both can be used as email programs. Agent is no free, T-Bird is. That
    > said I don't like to use the same program for email and newsgroups. Just
    > my quirky style. I use Outlook for email, T-Bird for newsgroups.


    The only real problem with using TBird for newsgroups is that its
    filtering system is crippled for news messages...
     
  10. Sunny Bard

    Sunny Bard Flightless Bird

    Gordon wrote:

    > The only real problem with using TBird for newsgroups is that its
    > filtering system is crippled for news messages...


    Slightly less crippled in TB3.x than previous versions, but still poor
    compared to most other newsreaders, doesn't stop me using it though.
     
  11. Slap

    Slap Flightless Bird

    "Sunny" <wombathouse@yahoo.com.au> wrote in message
    news:kcd%n.819$Yv.786@viwinnwfe01.internal.bigpond.com...
    > For use on a "Netbook" ?
    > With the demise of Outlook Express in Windows7 is anyone using Windows
    > live Mail as a news reader?
    > My searching so far seems to point that the only news reader capability is
    > restricted to the soon to defunked microsoft news server. (Which will soon
    > be re-directed web based "forums")
    >


    Windows Live Mail works fine as a news reader. It has no restrictions and
    looks and feels like the old Express. You just set up your account(s) like
    you did in Express.
    --
     
  12. Stephen Wolstenholme

    Stephen Wolstenholme Flightless Bird

    On Wed, 14 Jul 2010 16:56:07 +1000, "Sunny" <wombathouse@yahoo.com.au>
    wrote:

    >For use on a "Netbook" ?
    >With the demise of Outlook Express in Windows7 is anyone using Windows
    >live Mail as a news reader?
    >My searching so far seems to point that the only news reader capability is
    >restricted to the soon to defunked microsoft news server. (Which will soon
    >be re-directed web based "forums")
    >
    >
    >
    >


    I have been using Agent for news and e-mail since 1995 with every
    version of Windows and nothing in W7 has made me want to change that.

    Microsoft's stupid move to web forums won't make any difference to me
    either as I find all web forums slow and clumsy relative to NNTP
    groups.

    Steve

    --
    Neural Planner Software Ltd www.NPSL1.com
    EasyNN-plus. Neural Networks plus. www.easynn.com
    SwingNN. Forecast with Neural Networks. www.swingnn.com
    JustNN. Just Neural Networks. www.justnn.com
     
  13. News123

    News123 Flightless Bird

    Sunny Bard wrote:
    > Gordon wrote:
    >
    >> The only real problem with using TBird for newsgroups is that its
    >> filtering system is crippled for news messages...

    >
    > Slightly less crippled in TB3.x than previous versions, but still poor
    > compared to most other newsreaders, doesn't stop me using it though.


    Is there any filtering in TB for usenet?

    I'd be glad to add kill file entries for some users or topics,
    (especially since I subscribe to slighly noisier groups) , but don't
    know how to do it with TB
     
  14. Alias

    Alias Flightless Bird

    On 07/14/2010 01:03 PM, News123 wrote:
    > Sunny Bard wrote:
    >> Gordon wrote:
    >>
    >>> The only real problem with using TBird for newsgroups is that its
    >>> filtering system is crippled for news messages...

    >>
    >> Slightly less crippled in TB3.x than previous versions, but still poor
    >> compared to most other newsreaders, doesn't stop me using it though.

    >
    > Is there any filtering in TB for usenet?
    >
    > I'd be glad to add kill file entries for some users or topics,
    > (especially since I subscribe to slighly noisier groups) , but don't
    > know how to do it with TB


    Select a message from someone you want to kill file and then go to
    Message/Create filter from message ... and it's self explanatory from there.

    --
    Alias
     
  15. Sunny Bard

    Sunny Bard Flightless Bird

    News123 wrote:

    > Is there any filtering in TB for usenet?


    Tools, Message Filters, select relevant group, add one or more filters,
    for each filter match on one or more criteria and specify one or more
    actions ...
     
  16. LouB

    LouB Flightless Bird

    News123 wrote:
    > Sunny Bard wrote:
    >> Gordon wrote:
    >>
    >>> The only real problem with using TBird for newsgroups is that its
    >>> filtering system is crippled for news messages...

    >> Slightly less crippled in TB3.x than previous versions, but still poor
    >> compared to most other newsreaders, doesn't stop me using it though.

    >
    > Is there any filtering in TB for usenet?
    >
    > I'd be glad to add kill file entries for some users or topics,
    > (especially since I subscribe to slighly noisier groups) , but don't
    > know how to do it with TB


    Actually fairly easy:
    Load msg from idiot, right click on From (it is in blue), get drop down
    list, last choice is "Create filter..". You do not need to type anything.
     
  17. LouB

    LouB Flightless Bird

    Stephen Wolstenholme wrote:
    > On Wed, 14 Jul 2010 16:56:07 +1000, "Sunny" <wombathouse@yahoo.com.au>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> For use on a "Netbook" ?
    >> With the demise of Outlook Express in Windows7 is anyone using Windows
    >> live Mail as a news reader?
    >> My searching so far seems to point that the only news reader capability is
    >> restricted to the soon to defunked microsoft news server. (Which will soon
    >> be re-directed web based "forums")
    >>
    >>
    >>
    >>

    >
    > I have been using Agent for news and e-mail since 1995 with every
    > version of Windows and nothing in W7 has made me want to change that.
    >
    > Microsoft's stupid move to web forums won't make any difference to me
    > either as I find all web forums slow and clumsy relative to NNTP
    > groups.
    >
    > Steve
    >

    Yabut many of the newsgroups have become full of trolls
     
  18. Stephen Wolstenholme

    Stephen Wolstenholme Flightless Bird

    On Wed, 14 Jul 2010 07:49:36 -0400, LouB <Lou@invalid.invalid> wrote:

    >News123 wrote:
    >> Sunny Bard wrote:
    >>> Gordon wrote:
    >>>
    >>>> The only real problem with using TBird for newsgroups is that its
    >>>> filtering system is crippled for news messages...
    >>> Slightly less crippled in TB3.x than previous versions, but still poor
    >>> compared to most other newsreaders, doesn't stop me using it though.

    >>
    >> Is there any filtering in TB for usenet?
    >>
    >> I'd be glad to add kill file entries for some users or topics,
    >> (especially since I subscribe to slighly noisier groups) , but don't
    >> know how to do it with TB

    >
    >Actually fairly easy:
    >Load msg from idiot, right click on From (it is in blue), get drop down
    >list, last choice is "Create filter..". You do not need to type anything.


    It's even easier with Agent. Ctrl K

    Steve

    --
    Neural Planner Software Ltd www.NPSL1.com
    EasyNN-plus. Neural Networks plus. www.easynn.com
    SwingNN. Forecast with Neural Networks. www.swingnn.com
    JustNN. Just Neural Networks. www.justnn.com
     
  19. Stephen Wolstenholme

    Stephen Wolstenholme Flightless Bird

    On Wed, 14 Jul 2010 07:51:15 -0400, LouB <Lou@invalid.invalid> wrote:

    >Stephen Wolstenholme wrote:
    >> On Wed, 14 Jul 2010 16:56:07 +1000, "Sunny" <wombathouse@yahoo.com.au>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>> For use on a "Netbook" ?
    >>> With the demise of Outlook Express in Windows7 is anyone using Windows
    >>> live Mail as a news reader?
    >>> My searching so far seems to point that the only news reader capability is
    >>> restricted to the soon to defunked microsoft news server. (Which will soon
    >>> be re-directed web based "forums")
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>

    >>
    >> I have been using Agent for news and e-mail since 1995 with every
    >> version of Windows and nothing in W7 has made me want to change that.
    >>
    >> Microsoft's stupid move to web forums won't make any difference to me
    >> either as I find all web forums slow and clumsy relative to NNTP
    >> groups.
    >>
    >> Steve
    >>

    >Yabut many of the newsgroups have become full of trolls


    It's trivial to filter out trolls. Far more easy than looking for
    changes in forums.

    Steve

    --
    Neural Planner Software Ltd www.NPSL1.com
    EasyNN-plus. Neural Networks plus. www.easynn.com
    SwingNN. Forecast with Neural Networks. www.swingnn.com
    JustNN. Just Neural Networks. www.justnn.com
     
  20. News123

    News123 Flightless Bird

    Thanks a lot for all your answers.


    I'm quiet embarrassed, that I never stumbled over it so far, as it is
    really quite easy.

    It seems, that somehow I never clicked on the message menu.

    I tried 'right-clicking on the message' forgetting, that the right click
    menus are very often a littlre reduced in features.


    Thanks again an happy news reading :)


    Stephen Wolstenholme wrote:
    > On Wed, 14 Jul 2010 07:49:36 -0400, LouB <Lou@invalid.invalid> wrote:
    >
    >> News123 wrote:
    >>> Sunny Bard wrote:
    >>>> Gordon wrote:
    >>>>
    >>>>> The only real problem with using TBird for newsgroups is that its
    >>>>> filtering system is crippled for news messages...
    >>>> Slightly less crippled in TB3.x than previous versions, but still poor
    >>>> compared to most other newsreaders, doesn't stop me using it though.
    >>> Is there any filtering in TB for usenet?
    >>>
    >>> I'd be glad to add kill file entries for some users or topics,
    >>> (especially since I subscribe to slighly noisier groups) , but don't
    >>> know how to do it with TB

    >> Actually fairly easy:
    >> Load msg from idiot, right click on From (it is in blue), get drop down
    >> list, last choice is "Create filter..". You do not need to type anything.

    >
    > It's even easier with Agent. Ctrl K
    >
    > Steve
    >
     

Share This Page