1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New motherboard, CheckDisk every startup

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Asger-P, Apr 21, 2010.

  1. Asger-P

    Asger-P Flightless Bird

    Hi

    I had to replace my motherboard, fortunately I got
    one that was almost the same as the one i had, so
    I didn't had to reinstall, but now XP wants to do
    check disk at every startup on 4 of my partitions.

    Is there a way that I can stop XP from doing that ?

    p.s. the first time I did let XP do the check disk
    all the way.


    Thanks in advance
    Best regards
    Asger-P
     
  2. Mark Adams

    Mark Adams Flightless Bird

    "Asger-P" wrote:

    > Hi
    >
    > I had to replace my motherboard, fortunately I got
    > one that was almost the same as the one i had, so
    > I didn't had to reinstall, but now XP wants to do
    > check disk at every startup on 4 of my partitions.
    >
    > Is there a way that I can stop XP from doing that ?
    >
    > p.s. the first time I did let XP do the check disk
    > all the way.
    >
    >
    > Thanks in advance
    > Best regards
    > Asger-P
    > .
    >



    You might need to do a repair install, see:

    http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm
     
  3. On 4/21/2010 6:58 AM, Asger-P wrote:
    > Hi
    >
    > I had to replace my motherboard, fortunately I got
    > one that was almost the same as the one i had, so
    > I didn't had to reinstall, but now XP wants to do
    > check disk at every startup on 4 of my partitions.
    >
    > Is there a way that I can stop XP from doing that ?
    >
    > p.s. the first time I did let XP do the check disk
    > all the way.
    >
    >
    > Thanks in advance
    > Best regards
    > Asger-P


    Which partition/drive does it want to check? What were the results, any
    bad sectors? Make a backup of all personal files and data and check to
    make sure that the drive cable is connected firmly at both ends.

    --
    Sorry, iPad - iPass. I want a real keyboard, with real apps, real
    multitasking, real freedom, and real choice.
     
  4. John Wunderlich

    John Wunderlich Flightless Bird

    =?Utf-8?B?TWFyayBBZGFtcw==?= <MarkAdams@discussions.microsoft.com>
    wrote in news:F02B12B9-3CC7-46E2-8644-27E0DF713FDB@microsoft.com:

    >
    >
    > "Asger-P" wrote:
    >
    >> Hi
    >>
    >> I had to replace my motherboard, fortunately I got
    >> one that was almost the same as the one i had, so
    >> I didn't had to reinstall, but now XP wants to do
    >> check disk at every startup on 4 of my partitions.
    >>
    >> Is there a way that I can stop XP from doing that ?
    >>
    >> p.s. the first time I did let XP do the check disk
    >> all the way.
    >>
    >>
    >> Thanks in advance
    >> Best regards
    >> Asger-P
    >> .
    >>

    >
    >
    > You might need to do a repair install, see:
    >
    > http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm


    I'll second that recommendation.
    From the article:

    "Chkdsk Runs Each Time That You Start Your Computer"
    <http://support.microsoft.com/kb/316506>

    One cause cited is a corrupted registry. Pulling the
    hardware/motherboard out from under the OS and replacing it could
    easily look like a corrupted registry to the OS. A Repair Install
    should fix that.

    HTH,
    John
     
  5. Asger-P

    Asger-P Flightless Bird

    Hi Mark and John

    Den 21.04.2010 kl. 16:43 Mark Adams wrote:


    > You might need to do a repair install, see:
    >
    > http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm


    John wrote:
    > I'll second that recommendation.
    > From the article:


    > "Chkdsk Runs Each Time That You Start Your Computer"
    > <http://support.microsoft.com/kb/316506>


    Thanks for Your replies, but I would very much like to avoid
    a repair install, it always mess up every thing..:(
    And in this case there is absolutely nothing wrong with my PC,
    except for the check disk at startup, every thing works fine.

    Last time I did a repair install it took almost to days before
    everything was back to normal and at average I reboot once a
    week, so I thing I will live with the check disk if there is
    no other way then a repair install.


    There must be a place where XP store the result of the
    check disk, where it checks if its needed or not.

    Thanks again
    Best regards
    Asger-P
     
  6. Asger-P

    Asger-P Flightless Bird

    Hi Nina

    Thanks for Your reply.

    On 21.04.2010 - 17:31 Nina DiBoy wrote:

    > Which partition/drive does it want to check?


    Only first disk, which contains C, D, E, F, G and H, but
    it only want to check G, F, D and H in that order

    p.s. I have 4 internal disks and one extern usb

    > What were the results, any bad sectors?


    No everything is OK.

    > Make a backup of all personal files and data and check to make sure that
    > the drive cable is connected firmly at both ends.


    It must be, as everything is working as it should and XP dont
    want to check the C partition


    Thanks again.
    Best regards
    Asger-P
     
  7. John John - MVP

    John John - MVP Flightless Bird

    Asger-P wrote:
    > Hi Mark and John
    >
    > Den 21.04.2010 kl. 16:43 Mark Adams wrote:
    >
    >
    >> You might need to do a repair install, see:
    >>
    >> http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

    >
    > John wrote:
    >> I'll second that recommendation.
    >> From the article:

    >
    >> "Chkdsk Runs Each Time That You Start Your Computer"
    >> <http://support.microsoft.com/kb/316506>

    >
    > Thanks for Your replies, but I would very much like to avoid
    > a repair install, it always mess up every thing..:(
    > And in this case there is absolutely nothing wrong with my PC,
    > except for the check disk at startup, every thing works fine.


    At a command prompt issue:

    CHKNTFS /D

    and see if things change.

    Did you install the motherboard/chipset drivers?

    John
     
  8. Asger-P

    Asger-P Flightless Bird

    Hi John

    On 22.04.2010 kl. 16:29 John John wrote:

    > At a command prompt issue:
    >
    > CHKNTFS /D
    >
    > and see if things change.


    Actually they didn't, but CHKNTFS was definitely the way to go

    CHKNTFS c: d: e: f: g: h: j:

    gave me the partitions that the system thought was changed
    then I did a

    chkdsk f: /R
    chkdsk g: /R
    etc.

    on the drives that was mentioned and they disappeared from
    the changed list and now the PC boots as normal.


    > Did you install the motherboard/chipset drivers?


    Yes.

    I didn't know about that CHKNTFS command. :)

    Thank You very much.
    Best regards
    Asger-P
     
  9. John John - MVP

    John John - MVP Flightless Bird

    Asger-P wrote:
    > Hi John
    >
    > On 22.04.2010 kl. 16:29 John John wrote:
    >
    >> At a command prompt issue:
    >>
    >> CHKNTFS /D
    >>
    >> and see if things change.

    >
    > Actually they didn't, but CHKNTFS was definitely the way to go
    >
    > CHKNTFS c: d: e: f: g: h: j:
    >
    > gave me the partitions that the system thought was changed
    > then I did a
    >
    > chkdsk f: /R
    > chkdsk g: /R
    > etc.
    >
    > on the drives that was mentioned and they disappeared from
    > the changed list and now the PC boots as normal.
    >
    >
    >> Did you install the motherboard/chipset drivers?

    >
    > Yes.
    >
    > I didn't know about that CHKNTFS command. :)
    >
    > Thank You very much.


    You're welcome.

    John
     

Share This Page