• Welcome to Tux Reports: Where Penguins Fly. We hope you find the topics varied, interesting, and worthy of your time. Please become a member and join in the discussions.

Multisite Installation

Jose Lopez

Teen Bird
Hey guys, I apologize if this is not the right place to ask but technically it is a pre-sale question that others might wonder down the line, so this felt appropriate.

I do have Xenword working correctly on a single website currently. I had an idea recently of doing a multisite wordpress install and xenforo would be at the heart of the setup so I wanted to cross check exactly how xenword would work under such environment.

My idea atm is to have the main website domain.com feature everything that is within each multisite: site1.domain.com, site2.domain.com etc. So I would have xenword/xenforo on the main domain.

Each individual website of the network will point to a particular category of xenforo from the root domain. My questions are:

- How does user mapping work in this scenario? My better judgement tells me xenword will only map with users of the main domain? which means each site within the network would need to register users from the main domain and not have its own users, or is there a way that xenword can interact with users from each of the sites in the network?
- If the above isn't possible, is it viable to have xenforo on the main domain and xenword on each individual website (all mapped to the single xenforo install on the root)? meaning each forum user would map to any individual website user table (which kind of makes a bit more sense, except for the fact that users would be "universal" across the network which I think is fine in this scenario).

In any case and assuming this is in some way possible, what would be the appropriate license for this setup? a developer license? everything will be under a single domain but potentially xenword might be installed on each individual website of the network, so I am guessing I'll need a developer license?

Thank you for the help, at this point I am just considering the idea and I am not yet 100% sold on the path I'll take, so this is part of my research in setting up the approach to take on the website.

I appreciate the feedback.

doublespaces

Flying Bird
XenWord Professional
I haven't thought about doing it this way... But what I am doing is I have XenCentral MultiSite installed and I have one WP installation. I use WP Catagories to act as my 'home blog' so when they click Home from the forum, they are sent to that particular subject's catagory list on WP. I'm waiting for XC MultiSite to be ported to XF2 and I'll try to upgrade.

Keep in mind, what you're doing and what I am doing are very complicated, likely to break a lot and will always lag behind due to the various parts in motion. I don't recommend it. Its best to use this addon for its intended purpose, this bridge is fairly involved considering it brings two different softwares together without direct support from either.