• Welcome to Tux Reports: Where Penguins Fly. We hope you find the topics varied, interesting, and worthy of your time. Please become a member and join in the discussions.

Op Ed Microsoft's Lost Decade

LPH

Flight Director
Flight Instructor
VanityFair lambasted Steve Ballmer and explained in 6 pages how Microsoft went from a tech darling to a dog.

It is really easy. Microsoft turned inward and forgot the technology. However, there is hope. The Microsoft surface is something they needed to release 7 years ago. Windows 8 is actually nice to use. As a hint - the right click button becomes important in Windows 8. I've also played with Windows Office 2013 - and man there are some clever features.

Is it fair to say that Ballmer has destroyed Microsoft. I've heard those rumblings for years. Considering the tech failures - it's always the person at the top who should take the fall. For some reason, though, Ballmer has stayed at the top.

Maybe it is time for him to retire. But who would take his place? Would he be able to create a culture of innovation and invention?

My bet is on someone willing to shake up the product lines - and demand a leap - a leap that requires creating the future rather than living in the moment.