• Welcome to Tux Reports: Where Penguins Fly. We hope you find the topics varied, interesting, and worthy of your time. Please become a member and join in the discussions.

Microsoft Surface: 3-5 Million On Order

LPH

Flight Director
Flight Instructor

The Wall Street Journal is reporting Microsoft ordered 3-5 million Surface tablets to be manufactured. This is just in time for the fourth quarter holiday sales. The report does not state if these are RT, the full deal, or a combination.

The orders are on par with Amazon's Kindle Fire and Google's Nexus 7 tablets. However, pricing deals are unavailable. However, one-million devices per month is not a high sales expectation relative to the Apple iPad.

I've been saving my money for both a Windows RT and a Windows 8 Pro Surface tablets. Why? The Apple iPad is nice but Microsoft Office is a staple in my daily diet of work. ActivInspire is another one - and that'll probably only run on the Windows 8 Pro.

Specifications: From Microsoft
View on the Blog

Robert Heiny

Research Scientist of Learning and Education
Flight Instructor
Why would I want a new "surface" tablet instead of my five year old tried and true HP tablet? Do I have to master what I have before I can use one of these new surfaces?

LPH

Flight Director
Flight Instructor
Robert Heiny

Not every new piece of hardware is for everyone. For example, the android based tablets have never interested me because they do not fit my ecosystem of other hardware. They also do not fit within the school ecosystem.

In your case, though, the Microsoft Surface Pro might be a great fit for you (February / March availability). Why? It balances touch and keyboard input. The clarity of the screen, improved screen resolution, would also help you while you surf the web. Next, reading Kindle books will be better. Blogging would not change for you - except Windows 8 is much smoother than Windows 7 when it comes to touch. Launching applications is far easier. Finally, I prefer the start page over a start button - everything fits on that single [expandable] page.

Oh - and one more reason - you could finally get away from that awful browser version that you use .... :eek: