1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Laptop with several XP problems

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by mm, Jun 7, 2010.

  1. mm

    mm Flightless Bird

    Revised:

    A young friend with not much money was given a beautiful laptop with
    XP on it, as originally sold.


    Oh, yes, Mike, sorry. It's an Averatec 3700 Series, with AMD 1800 MHz
    CPU, 512Meg RAM, 60 Gig HDD, 4 in 1 card reader, Firewire, USB2, DVD
    and CD-RW burner, wireless, and only 4 lbs.

    No evidence of a hidden partition in the manual. Folder Options has
    "Show hidden files and folders". Is that enough to see it?

    It also has checked "Hide protected operating system files", but
    unchecking that didn't show me a partition in Windows Explorer.


    But it has a strange collection of problems!

    Maybe they're related or maybe some are well known?

    1) None of the 3 USB ports work, with a flashdrive or a mouse. I think
    they used to. The mouse or flash drive light up when plugged in, but
    aren't noticed by Windows. How do I tell if this is a software or
    hardware problem? (I really need a USB mouse because I hate the
    built-in pad.)

    2) The sound doesn't work and it says there is no sound device, though
    there used to be!

    3) When Device Manager is displayed, NO devices appear.

    4) It boots maybe quicker than mine, but some things are verry slow.
    A virus/trojan full hard drive scan showed nothing.

    When I had this problem, a month after installing XP, I disabled all
    the services and startup programs and reinstalled them a little at a
    time. I found two services**, either of which slowed me down
    tremendously, but he doesn't have either of those. Before checking
    the services for him and startup programs, is there something I should
    do first?

    **Shell Hardware Detection, and Uninteruptable Power Supply.

    Thanks a lot.
     
  2. windrider

    windrider Flightless Bird

    It sounds like the orignal owenr formated the HD then reinstalled the OS.
    When this is done many non-microsoft drivers are not reinstalled (I've had
    the same problem). You can either hunt down the individual drivers or order
    the Recovery CD form the manufacturer. When I did this it cost $20 and a lot
    less headaches.

    "mm" wrote:

    > Revised:
    >
    > A young friend with not much money was given a beautiful laptop with
    > XP on it, as originally sold.
    >
    >
    > Oh, yes, Mike, sorry. It's an Averatec 3700 Series, with AMD 1800 MHz
    > CPU, 512Meg RAM, 60 Gig HDD, 4 in 1 card reader, Firewire, USB2, DVD
    > and CD-RW burner, wireless, and only 4 lbs.
    >
    > No evidence of a hidden partition in the manual. Folder Options has
    > "Show hidden files and folders". Is that enough to see it?
    >
    > It also has checked "Hide protected operating system files", but
    > unchecking that didn't show me a partition in Windows Explorer.
    >
    >
    > But it has a strange collection of problems!
    >
    > Maybe they're related or maybe some are well known?
    >
    > 1) None of the 3 USB ports work, with a flashdrive or a mouse. I think
    > they used to. The mouse or flash drive light up when plugged in, but
    > aren't noticed by Windows. How do I tell if this is a software or
    > hardware problem? (I really need a USB mouse because I hate the
    > built-in pad.)
    >
    > 2) The sound doesn't work and it says there is no sound device, though
    > there used to be!
    >
    > 3) When Device Manager is displayed, NO devices appear.
    >
    > 4) It boots maybe quicker than mine, but some things are verry slow.
    > A virus/trojan full hard drive scan showed nothing.
    >
    > When I had this problem, a month after installing XP, I disabled all
    > the services and startup programs and reinstalled them a little at a
    > time. I found two services**, either of which slowed me down
    > tremendously, but he doesn't have either of those. Before checking
    > the services for him and startup programs, is there something I should
    > do first?
    >
    > **Shell Hardware Detection, and Uninteruptable Power Supply.
    >
    > Thanks a lot.
    > .
    >
     
  3. Mike S

    Mike S Flightless Bird

    On 6/7/2010 10:25 AM, mm wrote:
    > Revised:
    >
    > It's an Averatec 3700 Series, with AMD 1800 MHz
    > CPU, 512Meg RAM, 60 Gig HDD, 4 in 1 card reader, Firewire, USB2, DVD
    > and CD-RW burner, wireless, and only 4 lbs.
    >
    > No evidence of a hidden partition in the manual. Folder Options has
    > "Show hidden files and folders". Is that enough to see it?
    >
    > It also has checked "Hide protected operating system files", but
    > unchecking that didn't show me a partition in Windows Explorer.

    <snip>

    Sorry I wasn't clearer. Instead of giving out CDs or DVDs for OS
    reinstallations often there is a hidden partition that I don't think
    Windows will show you (but a partition manager would) that has an image
    of the OS. Anyway I'd give this a try if you don't mind wiping out
    everything on the machine and starting over with a clean OS, the
    condition it was in when the computer was new.

    To be clear, if these instructions work, EVERYTHING will be deleted and
    all data will be LOST. So if you're okay with that follow the
    instructions to restore the machine to the factory defaults. Then you'll
    have to install all Microsoft updates, and all software you want,
    including your own security software, e.g. antivirus, antimalware, etc.
    along with any drivers for any new hardware you want to use.

    ------
    http://www.fixya.com/support/t887129-need_restore_factory_defaults

    "When you turn on your system press F4 until you see the Phoenix
    recovery Software appear. This should guide you to fix your problem.."

    http://forum.notebookreview.com/averatec/244550-how-restore-3700-if-cant-boot.html

    "When booting up, press F4 to access Recovey Option if your hard drive
    has a hidden partition which stores factory images."
    ------

    Does that work on your computer? Make sure you press and hold down the
    F4 key immediately after turning the computer on. I think you may see
    the typical windows graphics for a while, so don't reboot immediately,
    give it a chance to load and make sure whether Windows or the restore
    programs has loaded.

    The manual can be downloaded here:
    http://www.trigem.com/us/support/manuals.asp
    You'll have to rename the download filename from 3700 to 3700.pdf to be
    able to open it.

    Mike
     
  4. mm

    mm Flightless Bird

    On Mon, 07 Jun 2010 15:02:02 -0700, Mike S <mscir@yahoo.com> wrote:

    >On 6/7/2010 10:25 AM, mm wrote:
    >> Revised:
    >>
    >> It's an Averatec 3700 Series, with AMD 1800 MHz
    >> CPU, 512Meg RAM, 60 Gig HDD, 4 in 1 card reader, Firewire, USB2, DVD
    >> and CD-RW burner, wireless, and only 4 lbs.
    >>
    >> No evidence of a hidden partition in the manual. Folder Options has
    >> "Show hidden files and folders". Is that enough to see it?
    >>
    >> It also has checked "Hide protected operating system files", but
    >> unchecking that didn't show me a partition in Windows Explorer.

    ><snip>
    >
    >Sorry I wasn't clearer. Instead of giving out CDs or DVDs for OS
    >reinstallations often there is a hidden partition that I don't think
    >Windows will show you (but a partition manager would) that has an image


    I have a partition manager. If I don't make enough progress here,
    I'll find it and check.

    >of the OS. Anyway I'd give this a try if you don't mind wiping out
    >everything on the machine and starting over with a clean OS, the
    >condition it was in when the computer was new.
    >
    >To be clear, if these instructions work, EVERYTHING will be deleted and
    >all data will be LOST. So if you're okay with that follow the


    Well, I've been careful not to read my friend or his brother's email,
    but not much seems installed. I may leave this decision up to him.
    He's only 22 and ready to give up on this thing. I'm the one insisting
    it can probably be fixed.

    >instructions to restore the machine to the factory defaults. Then you'll
    >have to install all Microsoft updates, and all software you want,
    >including your own security software, e.g. antivirus, antimalware, etc.
    >along with any drivers for any new hardware you want to use.
    >
    >------
    >http://www.fixya.com/support/t887129-need_restore_factory_defaults
    >
    >"When you turn on your system press F4 until you see the Phoenix
    >recovery Software appear. This should guide you to fix your problem.."
    >
    >http://forum.notebookreview.com/averatec/244550-how-restore-3700-if-cant-boot.html
    >
    >"When booting up, press F4 to access Recovey Option if your hard drive
    >has a hidden partition which stores factory images."
    >------
    >
    >Does that work on your computer? Make sure you press and hold down the


    Yes, Wow, thanks. This isn't in the owner's manual. So far the only
    thing unusual is that it says Mouse not detected, even though the
    mouse pad is working in Windows and in this Phoenix cME console
    Troubleshooting/System Check section. Aha. Plugging in a USB mouse,
    which didn't work in XP, is working here. Now the computer just
    turned off for some reason! On restart to the same place, now it says
    mouse is detected! And both the USB mouse and built-in mouse pad
    work.

    So this means, does it not, that the USB port does not have a hardware
    problem, only a software problem in Windows?

    Everything else in the Pheonix cME console works, but isn't meant to
    do much. (Although it will run external programs). Except FWIW, I
    looked at Phoenix FirstWare Recover Pro Quick Start, which will
    restore to the last or some previous Backup Point, and the mouse
    doesn't work there, but the mouse pad does.

    Do you think a Restore would help, especially if I can find out when
    the sound, USB port, or Device Manager used to work?

    Okay I restarted and the mouse doesn't work.

    >F4 key immediately after turning the computer on. I think you may see
    >the typical windows graphics for a while, so don't reboot immediately,
    >give it a chance to load and make sure whether Windows or the restore
    >programs has loaded.


    >The manual can be downloaded here:
    >http://www.trigem.com/us/support/manuals.asp
    >You'll have to rename the download filename from 3700 to 3700.pdf to be
    >able to open it.


    Thanks again.

    >Mike
     
  5. Mike S

    Mike S Flightless Bird

    <snip>
    > Do you think a Restore would help, especially if I can find out when
    > the sound, USB port, or Device Manager used to work?

    <snip>

    I agree with a previous post by Dave, doing a complete factory defaults
    restore would be the best idea, because it would remove a lot of junk.

    Poorly written windows programs may not completely uninstall, bloating
    the registry or leaving files that bloat windows. You may have programs
    or fonts, or incorrect drivers, or less than optimal windows settings
    left over from previous programs and users.

    I think you're right about it having software issues, the hardware
    sounds like it's working fine, if you are reluctant to do a restore I
    would recommend reinstalling all of the drivers you can find.

    Myself I would definitely do the factory restore. I just helped a woman
    friend do that on a pc she got 2nd hand and she was surprised at how
    much faster it was.
     
  6. mm

    mm Flightless Bird

    On Tue, 08 Jun 2010 03:11:09 -0700, Mike S <mscir@yahoo.com> wrote:

    ><snip>
    >> Do you think a Restore would help, especially if I can find out when
    >> the sound, USB port, or Device Manager used to work?

    ><snip>
    >
    >I agree with a previous post by Dave, doing a complete factory defaults
    >restore would be the best idea, because it would remove a lot of junk.


    Okay. Thanks to both you and Daave.

    I just checked and the factory restore point is the only one on the
    list.

    When I restore to it, does that nomrally delete data, like email
    that's been received, or or remove software, like Chrome Browser?

    >Poorly written windows programs may not completely uninstall, bloating
    >the registry or leaving files that bloat windows. You may have programs
    >or fonts, or incorrect drivers, or less than optimal windows settings
    >left over from previous programs and users.
    >
    >I think you're right about it having software issues, the hardware
    >sounds like it's working fine, if you are reluctant to do a restore I
    >would recommend reinstalling all of the drivers you can find.
    >
    >Myself I would definitely do the factory restore. I just helped a woman
    >friend do that on a pc she got 2nd hand and she was surprised at how
    >much faster it was.


    My young friend says it's very slow too. And it might be, so that
    would be great.
     
  7. mm

    mm Flightless Bird

    On Tue, 08 Jun 2010 19:07:18 -0400, mm <NOPSAMmm2005@bigfoot.com>
    wrote:

    >On Tue, 08 Jun 2010 03:11:09 -0700, Mike S <mscir@yahoo.com> wrote:
    >
    >><snip>
    >>> Do you think a Restore would help, especially if I can find out when
    >>> the sound, USB port, or Device Manager used to work?

    >><snip>
    >>
    >>I agree with a previous post by Dave, doing a complete factory defaults
    >>restore would be the best idea, because it would remove a lot of junk.

    >
    >Okay. Thanks to both you and Daave.


    >I just checked and the factory restore point is the only one on the
    >list.


    >When I restore to it, does that nomrally delete data, like email
    >that's been received, or or remove software, like Chrome Browser?


    I should have said that it is Phoenix Recover Pro.

    Apparently this is available free for win2000 and XP. It works even
    when windows is totally broken the website says, but I havent' found
    the answer to the question above yet. One site:
    http://www.pcauthority.com.au/Download/58906,phoenix-recover-pro-6.aspx
     
  8. mm

    mm Flightless Bird

    On Tue, 08 Jun 2010 19:30:02 -0400, mm <NOPSAMmm2005@bigfoot.com>
    wrote:

    >On Tue, 08 Jun 2010 19:07:18 -0400, mm <NOPSAMmm2005@bigfoot.com>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>On Tue, 08 Jun 2010 03:11:09 -0700, Mike S <mscir@yahoo.com> wrote:
    >>
    >>><snip>
    >>>> Do you think a Restore would help, especially if I can find out when
    >>>> the sound, USB port, or Device Manager used to work?
    >>><snip>
    >>>
    >>>I agree with a previous post by Dave, doing a complete factory defaults
    >>>restore would be the best idea, because it would remove a lot of junk.

    >>
    >>Okay. Thanks to both you and Daave.

    >
    >>I just checked and the factory restore point is the only one on the
    >>list.

    >
    >>When I restore to it, does that nomrally delete data, like email
    >>that's been received, or or remove software, like Chrome Browser?

    >
    >I should have said that it is Phoenix Recover Pro.
    >
    >Apparently this is available free for win2000 and XP. It works even
    >when windows is totally broken the website says, but I havent' found
    >the answer to the question above yet. One site:
    >http://www.pcauthority.com.au/Download/58906,phoenix-recover-pro-6.aspx


    Sorry. it turns out this points to www.phoenix.com , the author,
    which doesn't have it anymore, and the other sites are torrents or
    something that I know little about except they scare me.
    Also, www.nowfreedomdownloads.com seemed to have version 6, but it was
    20 dollars a year and I'm afraid of it too. It wanted 6 more dollars
    for dl protection, and 5 dollars for privacy. Why would I want
    privacy?
     
  9. Daave

    Daave Flightless Bird

    mm wrote:
    > On Tue, 08 Jun 2010 03:11:09 -0700, Mike S <mscir@yahoo.com> wrote:
    >
    >> <snip>
    >>> Do you think a Restore would help, especially if I can find out when
    >>> the sound, USB port, or Device Manager used to work?

    >> <snip>
    >>
    >> I agree with a previous post by Dave, doing a complete factory
    >> defaults restore would be the best idea, because it would remove a
    >> lot of junk.

    >
    > Okay. Thanks to both you and Daave.
    >
    > I just checked and the factory restore point is the only one on the
    > list.
    >
    > When I restore to it, does that nomrally delete data, like email
    > that's been received, or or remove software, like Chrome Browser?


    Yes. Make sure you back up all data first, including e-mails and the
    address book and Web browser favorites/bookmarks, to other media -- for
    example, an external hard drive. Backing up e-mail (unless copies exist
    on a mail server) can be a bit tricky if you don't know where to look.
    If your friend uses Outlook Express, this page should help:

    http://www.insideoe.com/backup/

    Otherwise, Google for information for the mail client or ask here again.

    Programs will need to be reinstalled. Likewise, service packs and
    subsequent updates. If the clean restore takes you back to SP1, you may
    install SP3 (since it includes SP2). Otherwise, post back for more
    guidance.
     
  10. mm

    mm Flightless Bird

    On Tue, 8 Jun 2010 21:50:02 -0400, in
    microsoft.public.windowsxp.general you wrote:

    >mm wrote:
    >> On Tue, 08 Jun 2010 03:11:09 -0700, Mike S <mscir@yahoo.com> wrote:
    >>
    >>> <snip>
    >>>> Do you think a Restore would help, especially if I can find out when
    >>>> the sound, USB port, or Device Manager used to work?
    >>> <snip>
    >>>
    >>> I agree with a previous post by Dave, doing a complete factory
    >>> defaults restore would be the best idea, because it would remove a
    >>> lot of junk.

    >>
    >> Okay. Thanks to both you and Daave.
    >>
    >> I just checked and the factory restore point is the only one on the
    >> list.
    >>
    >> When I restore to it, does that nomrally delete data, like email
    >> that's been received, or or remove software, like Chrome Browser?

    >
    >Yes. Make sure you back up all data first, including e-mails and the
    >address book and Web browser favorites/bookmarks, to other media -- for
    >example, an external hard drive. Backing up e-mail (unless copies exist
    >on a mail server) can be a bit tricky if you don't know where to look.


    I was afraid that would be the case, so I've made arrangements with
    him to back the stuff up. What he should have done is make a restore
    point after he had everything installed, including service packs, but
    he didn't. And every month? or so thereafter. Live and learn. I
    don't think he even knew he had this restore program. It's not
    mentioned in the manual. I think this will work. I hope so.

    >If your friend uses Outlook Express, this page should help:
    >
    >http://www.insideoe.com/backup/


    Actualy, I think he keeps all his mail on the web. He doesn't get
    that much iiuc. I've been trying to talk him out of that, but this
    time it helps him out. Plus maybe some of his brother's stuff is on
    it.

    >Otherwise, Google for information for the mail client or ask here again.
    >
    >Programs will need to be reinstalled. Likewise, service packs and
    >subsequent updates. If the clean restore takes you back to SP1, you may
    >install SP3 (since it includes SP2). Otherwise, post back for more
    >guidance.


    Thanks again. Copy to him with your list of things to back up (plus
    any files he stored anywhere), and later to reinstall.
     
  11. Daave

    Daave Flightless Bird

    mm wrote:
    > On Tue, 8 Jun 2010 21:50:02 -0400, in
    > microsoft.public.windowsxp.general you wrote:
    >
    >> mm wrote:
    >>> On Tue, 08 Jun 2010 03:11:09 -0700, Mike S <mscir@yahoo.com> wrote:
    >>>
    >>>> <snip>
    >>>>> Do you think a Restore would help, especially if I can find out
    >>>>> when the sound, USB port, or Device Manager used to work?
    >>>> <snip>
    >>>>
    >>>> I agree with a previous post by Dave, doing a complete factory
    >>>> defaults restore would be the best idea, because it would remove a
    >>>> lot of junk.
    >>>
    >>> Okay. Thanks to both you and Daave.
    >>>
    >>> I just checked and the factory restore point is the only one on the
    >>> list.
    >>>
    >>> When I restore to it, does that nomrally delete data, like email
    >>> that's been received, or or remove software, like Chrome Browser?

    >>
    >> Yes. Make sure you back up all data first, including e-mails and the
    >> address book and Web browser favorites/bookmarks, to other media --
    >> for example, an external hard drive. Backing up e-mail (unless
    >> copies exist on a mail server) can be a bit tricky if you don't know
    >> where to look.

    >
    > I was afraid that would be the case, so I've made arrangements with
    > him to back the stuff up. What he should have done is make a restore
    > point after he had everything installed, including service packs, but
    > he didn't. And every month? or so thereafter. Live and learn. I
    > don't think he even knew he had this restore program. It's not
    > mentioned in the manual. I think this will work. I hope so.
    >
    >> If your friend uses Outlook Express, this page should help:
    >>
    >> http://www.insideoe.com/backup/

    >
    > Actualy, I think he keeps all his mail on the web. He doesn't get
    > that much iiuc. I've been trying to talk him out of that, but this
    > time it helps him out. Plus maybe some of his brother's stuff is on
    > it.
    >
    >> Otherwise, Google for information for the mail client or ask here
    >> again.
    >>
    >> Programs will need to be reinstalled. Likewise, service packs and
    >> subsequent updates. If the clean restore takes you back to SP1, you
    >> may install SP3 (since it includes SP2). Otherwise, post back for
    >> more guidance.

    >
    > Thanks again. Copy to him with your list of things to back up (plus
    > any files he stored anywhere), and later to reinstall.


    YW. The advantage of only using the Web (including for e-mailing) is no
    backups of data are necessary. Web browser favorites/bookmarks may
    certainly be saved.
     

Share This Page