• Welcome to Tux Reports: Where Penguins Fly. We hope you find the topics varied, interesting, and worthy of your time. Please become a member and join in the discussions.

Kernel 3.4 Released

LPH

Flight Director
Flight Instructor
Linus Torvalds made the official announcement regarding Kernel 3.4
I just pushed out the 3.4 release.

Nothing really exciting happened since -rc7, although the workaround

for a linker bug on x86 is larger than I'd have liked at this stage,

and sticks out like a sore thumb in the diffstat. That said, it's not

like even that patch was really all that scary.

In fact, I think the 3.4 release cycle as a whole has been fairly

calm. Sure, I always wish for the -rc's to calm down more quickly than

they ever seem to do, but I think on the whole we didn't have any big

disruptive events, which is just how I like it. Let's hope the 3.5

merge window is a calm one too.

Kernel Newbie has a great listing of new features. The main focus is on CPUs and video cards.

Summary: This release includes several Btrfs updates: support of metadata blocks bigger than 4KB, much improved metadata performance, better error handling and better recovery tools; there is also a new X32 ABI which allows to run programs in 64-bit mode with 32-bit pointers; several updates to the GPU drivers: early modesetting of Nvidia GeForce 600 'Kepler', support of AMD Radeon 7xxx and AMD Trinity APU series, and support of Intel Medfield graphics; there is also support of x86 CPU driver autoprobing, a device-mapper target that stores cryptographic hashes of blocks to check for intrusions, another target to use external read-only devices as origin source of a thin provisioned LVM volume, several perf improvements such as GTK2 report GUI and a new 'Yama' security module. There are also many small features and new drivers and fixes are also available.

For those of you wondering, what is a kernel and why should I care? The kernel is the nucleus or controller of the operating system which sits between your computer hardware and software. It is the lowest level of software.
View the Post on the Blog