• Welcome to Tux Reports: Where Penguins Fly. We hope you find the topics varied, interesting, and worthy of your time. Please become a member and join in the discussions.

Just the Facts

LPH

Flight Director
Flight Instructor
Robert Heiny submitted a new blog post:

Just the Facts

A Learners' View (ALV) Is Of Choices On the Straightest and Fastest Path to Learning, the Oxygen Of Social Life.

Contents

Just the Facts

A LEARNERS' VIEW (ALV) CONSISTS OF FACTS (some still in note format) that describe observable actions people use to learn. Behavioral and social scientists have described increasing refinements of these facts for more than a century. These facts leave interpretations, discussions, and opinions about learning and education to others.

These facts appear consistent with theories of society described by Talcott Parsons and George Homans, with the school of symbolic interaction described by sociologists such as Charles H. Cooley, W.I. Thomas, and George Herbert Mead, and with descriptions of exchanges and transactions reported by economists.

Novelist, song writers, poets and other scribes and bards have referred to these actions for eons before and while science existed.

Empirical evidence does not exist to say that learning occurs by only inferring non-sensed phenomena or by flooding a lesson with resources. So, descriptions in Classic Education on this site do not refer to beliefs, best practice, cognition, conventional practice, ideas, information, knowledge, mental activity, thinking, etc. Nor does the application of ALV require these inferences or other conventional wisdom and folklore about eduation.

You may test this conclusion. Remove any one or more of the behavior patterns of ALV and then try to respond to the request, Tell me only obserable steps people take to learn ... Please tell us how you can do so successfully.
References

Cooley, C. H. (1902). Human Nature and the Social Order. New York: Scribner.

Homans, G. (1969). The sociological relevance of behaviorism. In R. Burgess & D. Bushell, Behavioral Sociology: The Experimental Analysis of Social Process. NY: Columbia University Press, (pp. 1-26).

Mead, G. H. (1934). Mind, Self, and Society. Chicago: University of Chicago Press.

Parsons, T. (1951). The Social System. Glencoe, IL: The Free Press.

Thomas, W. I., and Znaniecki, F. (1918–1920). The Polish Peasant in Europe and America, 5 vols. Boston: Badger.

Thomas, W. I. (1931). The Unadjusted Girl. Boston: Little, Brown.
Related Reading

1. Just the Facts Q & A
  2. Just the Facts Tip
  3. Unanswered Questions about Learning and Education

Related Resources

Return to

The Straightest Path to Learning

Article Last Update: 11/23/2013
Continue reading the Original Blog Post

Last edited by a moderator: