• Welcome to Tux Reports: Where Penguins Fly. We hope you find the topics varied, interesting, and worthy of your time. Please become a member and join in the discussions.

Op Ed Is Broadband Worth it?

LPH

Flight Director
Flight Instructor
I thought getting 50x5 installed would be worth the money.

Installation was easy. The technician came out with the modem (days after the initial sale). He installed the modem, checked the connections, and left.

I didn't run the speed tests.

The other night the modem connection ceased. I reset the modem several times and finally called tech support. She tried to send a signal to the modem and couldn't. She put in for a technician.

The technician arrived and here are the results.

Is broadband worth it? I'm not so sure :eek:

LPH

Flight Director
Flight Instructor
June 2 Speed.PNG

Today's test results. :p

50 x 5 is definitely NOT worth the money. Maybe someone needs to take them to task on misleading customers.

LPH

Flight Director
Flight Instructor
Screen Shot 2012-06-06 at 7.32.31 AM.png

What did I change?

Sometimes the obvious IS the problem. Two technicians came and said the cables were fine. This leaves the modem. I unplugged the power to the modem, waited, and reconnected. Only the modem didn't turn on. I looked at the connections and saw that the two prong plug was not going into the converter all the way. After messing around with the plug, I turned the power cable around and the plug inserted in all the way.The speed is now 50 x 5.

Interesting. Will it hold all day?

David Christie

Baby Bird
It should hold, but I would do regular speed tests as you may find that you dont get the full download speed all of the time.

LPH

Flight Director
Flight Instructor
It should hold, but I would do regular speed tests as you may find that you dont get the full download speed all of the time.

I hope it holds. New equipment from the cable company is being installed for the neighborhood. The cable techs suggest this will help too.