1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

internet options change and ie 8

Discussion in 'Internet Explorer' started by kf, May 17, 2010.

  1. kf

    kf Flightless Bird

    i have ie 8 and have noticed that my internet options icon changes and im
    wondering what that means.
    the icon is a globe type image and then for some reason not of my doing (as
    far as i know) it changes and has a white square in front of the globe and
    the square has a check mark on it.
    its probably not a big deal but im just curious what it is doing and what it
    means.
    thank you in advance.
    kf.
     
  2. Robert Aldwinckle

    Robert Aldwinckle Flightless Bird

    "kf" <kf@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    news:4F1B7252-67A7-4BEF-8BB6-983C8B8C2026@microsoft.com...
    > i have ie 8 and have noticed that my internet options icon changes and im
    > wondering what that means.
    > the icon is a globe type image and then for some reason not of my doing
    > (as
    > far as i know) it changes and has a white square in front of the globe
    > and
    > the square has a check mark on it.



    If it is really the icon for Internet Properties and not e.g. just some
    other shortcut you could try re-registering the inetcpl.cpl program.
    Run... (e.g. press Win-R and enter:)

    regsvr32.exe /n /i inetcpl.cpl

    You might have to do that from an elevated cmd window, depending on your OS
    and account.



    > its probably not a big deal but im just curious what it is doing and what
    > it
    > means.
    > thank you in advance.
    > kf.



    Good luck

    Robert Aldwinckle
    ---
     
  3. kf

    kf Flightless Bird

    i dont know anything about registering internet options.
    this is a screen grab of the icon as it changes.
    the icon is a shortcut i placed on my taskbar quicklaunch.
    it probably doesnt mean anything but i search around and found no
    explanation anywhere.
    sorry i didnt mention i have xp home.

    [​IMG]

    direct image link-
    http://img7.imageshack.us/img7/1073/intoptions.png

    the screen grab is hosted by imageshack.
    thanks.

    kf.

    "Robert Aldwinckle" wrote:

    >
    >
    > "kf" <kf@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > news:4F1B7252-67A7-4BEF-8BB6-983C8B8C2026@microsoft.com...
    > > i have ie 8 and have noticed that my internet options icon changes and im
    > > wondering what that means.
    > > the icon is a globe type image and then for some reason not of my doing
    > > (as
    > > far as i know) it changes and has a white square in front of the globe
    > > and
    > > the square has a check mark on it.

    >
    >
    > If it is really the icon for Internet Properties and not e.g. just some
    > other shortcut you could try re-registering the inetcpl.cpl program.
    > Run... (e.g. press Win-R and enter:)
    >
    > regsvr32.exe /n /i inetcpl.cpl
    >
    > You might have to do that from an elevated cmd window, depending on your OS
    > and account.
    >
    >
    >
    > > its probably not a big deal but im just curious what it is doing and what
    > > it
    > > means.
    > > thank you in advance.
    > > kf.

    >
    >
    > Good luck
    >
    > Robert Aldwinckle
    > ---
    >
    > .
    >
     
  4. Robert Aldwinckle

    Robert Aldwinckle Flightless Bird

    "kf" <kf@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    news:47CC5208-71BD-431A-BA93-BF213449E5F8@microsoft.com...
    > i dont know anything about registering internet options.
    > this is a screen grab of the icon as it changes.


    > the icon is a shortcut i placed on my taskbar quicklaunch.



    Then that is what you need to look at. How did you create it? What are
    its Properties? You can probably change the icon to whatever you like if
    it's just a standard Desktop shortcut. I was assuming that you were
    talking about *the* Internet Explorer Desktop icon (which is not
    customizable in the way that normal shortcuts are.)


    > it probably doesnt mean anything but i search around and found no
    > explanation anywhere.
    > sorry i didnt mention i have xp home.



    This symptom really has nothing to do with IE and more to do with your OS.


    Good luck

    Robert
    ---


    >> If it is really the icon for Internet Properties and not e.g. just some
    >> other shortcut you could try re-registering the inetcpl.cpl program.


    ....
     
  5. Dan

    Dan Flightless Bird

    Are you running any kind of skin or taskbar customising application, such as
    Stardock? If so, I would guess this is a function of that application so you
    will need to ask the developers about this.

    Dan


    "kf" <kf@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    news:47CC5208-71BD-431A-BA93-BF213449E5F8@microsoft.com...
    > i dont know anything about registering internet options.
    > this is a screen grab of the icon as it changes.
    > the icon is a shortcut i placed on my taskbar quicklaunch.
    > it probably doesnt mean anything but i search around and found no
    > explanation anywhere.
    > sorry i didnt mention i have xp home.
    >
    > [​IMG]
    >
    > direct image link-
    > http://img7.imageshack.us/img7/1073/intoptions.png
    >
    > the screen grab is hosted by imageshack.
    > thanks.
    >
    > kf.
    >
    > "Robert Aldwinckle" wrote:
    >
    >>
    >>
    >> "kf" <kf@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> news:4F1B7252-67A7-4BEF-8BB6-983C8B8C2026@microsoft.com...
    >> > i have ie 8 and have noticed that my internet options icon changes and
    >> > im
    >> > wondering what that means.
    >> > the icon is a globe type image and then for some reason not of my doing
    >> > (as
    >> > far as i know) it changes and has a white square in front of the globe
    >> > and
    >> > the square has a check mark on it.

    >>
    >>
    >> If it is really the icon for Internet Properties and not e.g. just some
    >> other shortcut you could try re-registering the inetcpl.cpl program.
    >> Run... (e.g. press Win-R and enter:)
    >>
    >> regsvr32.exe /n /i inetcpl.cpl
    >>
    >> You might have to do that from an elevated cmd window, depending on your
    >> OS
    >> and account.
    >>
    >>
    >>
    >> > its probably not a big deal but im just curious what it is doing and
    >> > what
    >> > it
    >> > means.
    >> > thank you in advance.
    >> > kf.

    >>
    >>
    >> Good luck
    >>
    >> Robert Aldwinckle
    >> ---
    >>
    >> .
    >>
     
  6. Dan

    Dan Flightless Bird

    I've just noticed that the internet options icon in IE8 on my PC here has
    the tick box on it. I'm guessing that you are seeing the results of caching
    in the taskbar - it's showing you the old icon without the tick box for a
    while, then updating and showing the new icon. However, if that's the case
    it should be caching the new icon, unless you are using a custom taskbar
    application that isn't updating the icon correctly.

    Dan


    "kf" <kf@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    news:47CC5208-71BD-431A-BA93-BF213449E5F8@microsoft.com...
    > i dont know anything about registering internet options.
    > this is a screen grab of the icon as it changes.
    > the icon is a shortcut i placed on my taskbar quicklaunch.
    > it probably doesnt mean anything but i search around and found no
    > explanation anywhere.
    > sorry i didnt mention i have xp home.
    >
    > [​IMG]
    >
    > direct image link-
    > http://img7.imageshack.us/img7/1073/intoptions.png
    >
    > the screen grab is hosted by imageshack.
    > thanks.
    >
    > kf.
    >
    > "Robert Aldwinckle" wrote:
    >
    >>
    >>
    >> "kf" <kf@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> news:4F1B7252-67A7-4BEF-8BB6-983C8B8C2026@microsoft.com...
    >> > i have ie 8 and have noticed that my internet options icon changes and
    >> > im
    >> > wondering what that means.
    >> > the icon is a globe type image and then for some reason not of my doing
    >> > (as
    >> > far as i know) it changes and has a white square in front of the globe
    >> > and
    >> > the square has a check mark on it.

    >>
    >>
    >> If it is really the icon for Internet Properties and not e.g. just some
    >> other shortcut you could try re-registering the inetcpl.cpl program.
    >> Run... (e.g. press Win-R and enter:)
    >>
    >> regsvr32.exe /n /i inetcpl.cpl
    >>
    >> You might have to do that from an elevated cmd window, depending on your
    >> OS
    >> and account.
    >>
    >>
    >>
    >> > its probably not a big deal but im just curious what it is doing and
    >> > what
    >> > it
    >> > means.
    >> > thank you in advance.
    >> > kf.

    >>
    >>
    >> Good luck
    >>
    >> Robert Aldwinckle
    >> ---
    >>
    >> .
    >>
     
  7. kf

    kf Flightless Bird

    ive had the shortcut as a quicklaunch for a few years.
    not using any special program or different icon for it.
    since upgrading from ie 6 to ie 8 ive notice the check appearing.
    i hope, as you say, its just caching files and not needing my attention.
    thanx.


    "Dan" wrote:

    > I've just noticed that the internet options icon in IE8 on my PC here has
    > the tick box on it. I'm guessing that you are seeing the results of caching
    > in the taskbar - it's showing you the old icon without the tick box for a
    > while, then updating and showing the new icon. However, if that's the case
    > it should be caching the new icon, unless you are using a custom taskbar
    > application that isn't updating the icon correctly.
    >
    > Dan
     
  8. Dan

    Dan Flightless Bird

    As I said, the check is actually the icon for this in IE8. Looking at your
    screenshot it's clear you're not using a standard XP theme, have you loaded
    any sort of theme manager?

    Dan


    "kf" <kf@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    news:48CE710D-F592-4FC3-AE41-F7767B6B9541@microsoft.com...
    >
    > ive had the shortcut as a quicklaunch for a few years.
    > not using any special program or different icon for it.
    > since upgrading from ie 6 to ie 8 ive notice the check appearing.
    > i hope, as you say, its just caching files and not needing my attention.
    > thanx.
    >
    >
    > "Dan" wrote:
    >
    >> I've just noticed that the internet options icon in IE8 on my PC here has
    >> the tick box on it. I'm guessing that you are seeing the results of
    >> caching
    >> in the taskbar - it's showing you the old icon without the tick box for a
    >> while, then updating and showing the new icon. However, if that's the
    >> case
    >> it should be caching the new icon, unless you are using a custom taskbar
    >> application that isn't updating the icon correctly.
    >>
    >> Dan

    >
     
  9. kf

    kf Flightless Bird

    oh ok i understand.
    yes i have windowblinds installed.
    i unloaded it but the same thing is going on.
    so for some reason i just have an ie6 internet options icon that takes
    awhile to change to ie8s internet options icon.
    thanx.

    "Dan" wrote:

    > As I said, the check is actually the icon for this in IE8. Looking at your
    > screenshot it's clear you're not using a standard XP theme, have you loaded
    > any sort of theme manager?
    >
    > Dan
    >
    >
     
  10. Dan

    Dan Flightless Bird

    Sounds like WindowsBlinds wasn't fully removed, or you still have a theme
    manager of some kind. WindowsBlinds is often awkward to remove.

    Dan


    "kf" <kf@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    news:E34D64E2-6AD6-4EE2-9930-C520929F4317@microsoft.com...
    > oh ok i understand.
    > yes i have windowblinds installed.
    > i unloaded it but the same thing is going on.
    > so for some reason i just have an ie6 internet options icon that takes
    > awhile to change to ie8s internet options icon.
    > thanx.
    >
    > "Dan" wrote:
    >
    >> As I said, the check is actually the icon for this in IE8. Looking at
    >> your
    >> screenshot it's clear you're not using a standard XP theme, have you
    >> loaded
    >> any sort of theme manager?
    >>
    >> Dan
    >>
    >>

    >
     

Share This Page