1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

IE8 Installation Problem

Discussion in 'Internet Explorer' started by KeithIrv, Feb 15, 2010.

  1. KeithIrv

    KeithIrv Flightless Bird

    When I try to update to IE8 (either through automatic update or manually),
    the installation process fails to install IE8. Auto Update runs through the
    installation but puts a red cross against the "Install Internet Explorer 8"
    line. If I try manually, the installation package complains that I need an
    update and points me to a page to download an update (KB932823). When I run
    this update, it stops telling me that "Setup has detected that the Service
    Pack version of the system is newer than the update being applied. There is
    no need to install the update". My OS is reported as XP SP3 v 5.1.2600 SP3
    version 5913, build 2600 from System Info. I seem to be stuck in a chicken
    and egg situation. Any suggestions as to how to rectify this so that I can
    install IE8 and get rid of the annoying "Updates are available for your
    computer" notification that keeps popping up!
     
  2. Robert Aldwinckle

    Robert Aldwinckle Flightless Bird

    (cross-post added to WU)

    "KeithIrv" <KeithIrv@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    news:2CFCC87F-34C2-4FE8-93BC-7C91F225FEB9@microsoft.com...
    > When I try to update to IE8 (either through automatic update or manually),
    > the installation process fails to install IE8. Auto Update runs through
    > the
    > installation but puts a red cross against the "Install Internet Explorer
    > 8"
    > line.


    What kind of "red cross"? Depending on the context I can visualize
    something which denotes a file not found or something which failed. In the
    former case right-click, Properties or View Source might help clarify; in
    the latter case doubleclicking on that button might give you more
    information about it.

    In fact, though, if what are describing is actually a failed download or
    install attempt you would get more explicit clues from the
    WindowsUpdate.log (ref. KB902093).


    > If I try manually, the installation package complains that I need an
    > update and points me to a page to download an update (KB932823).



    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/932823

    <quote>
    This problem occurs if the Japanese Input Method Editor (IME) is the default
    keyboard layout.
    </quote>

    Do you have such a keyboard even configured? ; }


    > When I run
    > this update, it stops telling me that "Setup has detected that the Service
    > Pack version of the system is newer than the update being applied. There
    > is
    > no need to install the update". My OS is reported as XP SP3 v 5.1.2600
    > SP3
    > version 5913, build 2600 from System Info.



    <quote>
    To resolve this problem, obtain the latest service pack for Windows XP.
    </quote>

    Evidently you have the latest service pack for your OS but perhaps some of
    its modules are out of synch? The WU log should show you more details
    about that, even without resorting to its verbose logging, though that would
    be a potentially more complete diagnostic. In addition you could
    supplement either by running ProcMon to see what else was happening at the
    time of each write in terms of file and registry accesses. The ProcMon
    trace doesn't exactly identify each message being written but it's not too
    difficult to infer that based on the timestamp and the length of the write
    involved.


    > I seem to be stuck in a chicken
    > and egg situation. Any suggestions as to how to rectify this so that I
    > can
    > install IE8 and get rid of the annoying "Updates are available for your
    > computer" notification that keeps popping up!



    First you need to clarify your symptoms. Remember, your words have to
    substitute for what our eyes might notice.


    HTH

    Robert Aldwinckle
    ---
     
  3. PA Bear [MS MVP]

    PA Bear [MS MVP] Flightless Bird

    [Crosspost to Windows Update per Robert's lead]

    1. Start | Run | (type) WINVER | OK

    Write down the complete, second line of text displayed then post it in a
    reply to this post.

    2. In Windows Explorer, navigate to and right-click on...

    C:/Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.EXE <=this file

    Select Properties | Version (tab): What file version is displayed here
    (e.g., v8.0.1234.56789)?

    3. What anti-virus application or security suite is installed and is your
    subscription current? What anti-spyware applications (other than Defender)?
    What third-party firewall (if any)? Were any of these applications running
    in the background when you attempted to install IE8?

    4. Has a(another) Norton or McAfee application ever been installed on the
    computer (e.g., a free-trial version that came preinstalled when you bought
    it)?
    --
    ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
    MS MVP-IE, Mail, Security, Windows Client - since 2002


    KeithIrv wrote:
    > When I try to update to IE8 (either through automatic update or manually),
    > the installation process fails to install IE8. Auto Update runs through
    > the
    > installation but puts a red cross against the "Install Internet Explorer
    > 8"
    > line. If I try manually, the installation package complains that I need
    > an
    > update and points me to a page to download an update (KB932823). When I
    > run
    > this update, it stops telling me that "Setup has detected that the Service
    > Pack version of the system is newer than the update being applied. There
    > is
    > no need to install the update". My OS is reported as XP SP3 v 5.1.2600
    > SP3
    > version 5913, build 2600 from System Info. I seem to be stuck in a
    > chicken
    > and egg situation. Any suggestions as to how to rectify this so that I
    > can
    > install IE8 and get rid of the annoying "Updates are available for your
    > computer" notification that keeps popping up!
     
  4. KeithIrv

    KeithIrv Flightless Bird

    Robear,

    Apologies for being slow replying!

    1. Version 5.1 (Build 2600.xpsp_sp3_gdr.091208-2036: service Pack3,v.5 ..
    and then its off the side of the info box and I cannot see the rest)

    2. 7.0.6000.16981 at the top f the tab and 7.00.6000.16981
    (vista_gdr.091215-2244) in the File Version Value box.

    3. Macafee Security Centre. Which is fully updated and current. I have
    tried to install IE8 with all AV software and firewalls switched off as well
    as all switched on. The result is the same as described.

    4. The only AV software has been the Macafee Security Centre as above. Its
    a self build machine and I am certain that no free trials AV software (or
    spyware) has been installed.

    Grateful for your help

    Keith


    "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

    > [Crosspost to Windows Update per Robert's lead]
    >
    > 1. Start | Run | (type) WINVER | OK
    >
    > Write down the complete, second line of text displayed then post it in a
    > reply to this post.
    >
    > 2. In Windows Explorer, navigate to and right-click on...
    >
    > C:/Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.EXE <=this file
    >
    > Select Properties | Version (tab): What file version is displayed here
    > (e.g., v8.0.1234.56789)?
    >
    > 3. What anti-virus application or security suite is installed and is your
    > subscription current? What anti-spyware applications (other than Defender)?
    > What third-party firewall (if any)? Were any of these applications running
    > in the background when you attempted to install IE8?
    >
    > 4. Has a(another) Norton or McAfee application ever been installed on the
    > computer (e.g., a free-trial version that came preinstalled when you bought
    > it)?
    > --
    > ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
    > MS MVP-IE, Mail, Security, Windows Client - since 2002
    >
    >
    > KeithIrv wrote:
    > > When I try to update to IE8 (either through automatic update or manually),
    > > the installation process fails to install IE8. Auto Update runs through
    > > the
    > > installation but puts a red cross against the "Install Internet Explorer
    > > 8"
    > > line. If I try manually, the installation package complains that I need
    > > an
    > > update and points me to a page to download an update (KB932823). When I
    > > run
    > > this update, it stops telling me that "Setup has detected that the Service
    > > Pack version of the system is newer than the update being applied. There
    > > is
    > > no need to install the update". My OS is reported as XP SP3 v 5.1.2600
    > > SP3
    > > version 5913, build 2600 from System Info. I seem to be stuck in a
    > > chicken
    > > and egg situation. Any suggestions as to how to rectify this so that I
    > > can
    > > install IE8 and get rid of the annoying "Updates are available for your
    > > computer" notification that keeps popping up!

    >
    > .
    >
     
  5. KeithIrv

    KeithIrv Flightless Bird

    Robert,

    Apologies for slow reply,

    Its just a small x as opposed to the green tick that appears against other
    lines, such as "Downloading Files" (indicating that the line its against was
    not actioned. It also appears againt the line "Checking computer for
    Malicious Software"). Its on the "Install Windows Internet Explorer 8"
    screen that appears via Automatic Updates.

    From WindowsUpdate.log:
    "2010-02-19 09:04:11:859 1224 a18 Agent * Added update
    {37DD5CBC-6257-4291-96A9-333FE0AAC9E5}.100 to search result
    2010-02-19 09:04:11:859 1224 a18 Agent * Found 1 updates and 55 categories
    in search; evaluated appl. rules of 697 out of 1910 deployed entities
    2010-02-19 09:04:12:421 1224 a18 Agent *********
    2010-02-19 09:04:12:421 1224 a18 Agent ** END ** Agent: Finding updates
    [CallerId = AutomaticUpdates]
    2010-02-19 09:04:12:421 1224 a18 Agent *************
    2010-02-19 09:04:12:437 1224 1144 AU >>## RESUMED ## AU: Search for
    updates [CallId = {A53AA748-1301-4EF5-989E-6D2EC9EB3632}]
    2010-02-19 09:04:12:437 1224 1144 AU # 1 updates detected
    2010-02-19 09:04:12:453 1224 1144 AU #########
    2010-02-19 09:04:12:453 1224 1144 AU ## END ## AU: Search for updates
    [CallId = {A53AA748-1301-4EF5-989E-6D2EC9EB3632}]
    2010-02-19 09:04:12:453 1224 1144 AU #############
    2010-02-19 09:04:12:453 1224 1144 AU Featured notifications is disabled.
    2010-02-19 09:04:12:453 1224 1144 AU Setting AU scheduled install time to
    2010-02-20 03:00:00
    2010-02-19 09:04:12:453 1224 1144 AU Auto-approving update for download,
    updateId = {37DD5CBC-6257-4291-96A9-333FE0AAC9E5}.100, ForUx=0, IsOwnerUx=0,
    HasDeadline=0, IsMinor=0
    2010-02-19 09:04:12:453 1224 1144 AU Auto-approved 1 update(s) for download
    (NOT for Ux)
    2010-02-19 09:04:12:453 1224 1144 AU #############
    2010-02-19 09:04:12:453 1224 1144 AU ## START ## AU: Download updates
    2010-02-19 09:04:12:453 1224 1144 AU #########
    2010-02-19 09:04:12:453 1224 1144 AU # Approved updates = 1
    2010-02-19 09:04:12:500 1224 1144 AU AU initiated download, updateId =
    {37DD5CBC-6257-4291-96A9-333FE0AAC9E5}.100, callId =
    {1EF10012-19C3-4BF7-89C2-1569BC5DA4B7}
    2010-02-19 09:04:12:500 1224 1144 AU Setting AU scheduled install time to
    2010-02-20 03:00:00
    2010-02-19 09:04:12:500 1224 1144 AU AU setting pending client directive to
    'Download Progress'
    2010-02-19 09:04:12:671 1224 1144 AU # Pending download calls = 1
    2010-02-19 09:04:12:671 1224 1144 AU <<## SUBMITTED ## AU: Download updates
    2010-02-19 09:04:13:093 1224 a18 DnldMgr *************
    2010-02-19 09:04:13:093 1224 a18 DnldMgr ** START ** DnldMgr: Downloading
    updates [CallerId = AutomaticUpdates]
    2010-02-19 09:04:13:093 1224 a18 DnldMgr *********
    2010-02-19 09:04:13:093 1224 a18 DnldMgr * Call ID =
    {1EF10012-19C3-4BF7-89C2-1569BC5DA4B7}
    2010-02-19 09:04:13:093 1224 a18 DnldMgr * Priority = 2, Interactive = 0,
    Owner is system = 1, Explicit proxy = 0, Proxy session id = -1, ServiceId =
    {7971F918-A847-4430-9279-4A52D1EFE18D}
    2010-02-19 09:04:13:093 1224 a18 DnldMgr * Updates to download = 1
    2010-02-19 09:04:13:093 1224 a18 Agent * Title = Internet Explorer 8 for
    Windows XP
    2010-02-19 09:04:13:093 1224 a18 Agent * UpdateId =
    {37DD5CBC-6257-4291-96A9-333FE0AAC9E5}.100
    2010-02-19 09:04:13:093 1224 a18 Agent * Bundles 1 updates:
    2010-02-19 09:04:13:093 1224 a18 Agent *
    {3D80CE0A-0893-4D4C-BBCE-C6FAAFA94CD5}.100
    2010-02-19 09:04:13:187 1224 a18 DnldMgr *********** DnldMgr: Regulation
    Refresh [Svc: {7971F918-A847-4430-9279-4A52D1EFE18D}] ***********
    2010-02-19 09:04:13:187 1224 a18 DnldMgr Contacting regulation server for 1
    updates.
    2010-02-19 09:04:13:281 1224 a18 Misc Validating signature for
    C:/WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution\WuRedir\7971F918-A847-4430-9279-4A52D1EFE18D\wuredir.cab:
    2010-02-19 09:04:13:296 1224 a18 Misc Microsoft signed: Yes
    2010-02-19 09:04:13:296 1224 a18 PT URL for regulation server found in
    server config.
    2010-02-19 09:04:13:296 1224 a18 DnldMgr Regulation server path:
    https://www.update.microsoft.com/v6/UpdateRegulationService/UpdateRegulation.asmx.
    2010-02-19 09:04:13:937 1224 a18 DnldMgr * Regulation call complete.
    0x00000000
    2010-02-19 09:04:13:953 1224 a18 DnldMgr *********** DnldMgr: New download
    job [UpdateId = {3D80CE0A-0893-4D4C-BBCE-C6FAAFA94CD5}.100] ***********
    2010-02-19 09:04:14:687 1224 a18 DnldMgr * All files for update were
    already downloaded and are valid.
    2010-02-19 09:04:14:765 1224 1144 AU >>## RESUMED ## AU: Download update
    [UpdateId = {37DD5CBC-6257-4291-96A9-333FE0AAC9E5}, succeeded]
    2010-02-19 09:04:14:765 1224 a18 Agent *********
    2010-02-19 09:04:14:765 1224 a18 Agent ** END ** Agent: Downloading
    updates [CallerId = AutomaticUpdates]
    2010-02-19 09:04:14:765 1224 1144 AU #########
    2010-02-19 09:04:14:765 1224 a18 Agent *************
    2010-02-19 09:04:14:765 1224 1144 AU ## END ## AU: Download updates
    2010-02-19 09:04:14:765 1224 1144 AU #############
    2010-02-19 09:04:14:765 1224 1144 AU Setting AU scheduled install time to
    2010-02-20 03:00:00
    2010-02-19 09:04:14:765 1224 1144 AU AU setting pending client directive to
    'Install Approval' "

    I do not have the Japenese keyboard congigured. Mine is UK keyboard.

    Not sure what Procmon is. It doesn't run when I type it into the "Run"
    command box from the Start menu.

    Many thanks for your help.

    Keith


    "Robert Aldwinckle" wrote:

    > (cross-post added to WU)
    >
    > "KeithIrv" <KeithIrv@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > news:2CFCC87F-34C2-4FE8-93BC-7C91F225FEB9@microsoft.com...
    > > When I try to update to IE8 (either through automatic update or manually),
    > > the installation process fails to install IE8. Auto Update runs through
    > > the
    > > installation but puts a red cross against the "Install Internet Explorer
    > > 8"
    > > line.

    >
    > What kind of "red cross"? Depending on the context I can visualize
    > something which denotes a file not found or something which failed. In the
    > former case right-click, Properties or View Source might help clarify; in
    > the latter case doubleclicking on that button might give you more
    > information about it.
    >
    > In fact, though, if what are describing is actually a failed download or
    > install attempt you would get more explicit clues from the
    > WindowsUpdate.log (ref. KB902093).
    >
    >
    > > If I try manually, the installation package complains that I need an
    > > update and points me to a page to download an update (KB932823).

    >
    >
    > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/932823
    >
    > <quote>
    > This problem occurs if the Japanese Input Method Editor (IME) is the default
    > keyboard layout.
    > </quote>
    >
    > Do you have such a keyboard even configured? ; }
    >
    >
    > > When I run
    > > this update, it stops telling me that "Setup has detected that the Service
    > > Pack version of the system is newer than the update being applied. There
    > > is
    > > no need to install the update". My OS is reported as XP SP3 v 5.1.2600
    > > SP3
    > > version 5913, build 2600 from System Info.

    >
    >
    > <quote>
    > To resolve this problem, obtain the latest service pack for Windows XP.
    > </quote>
    >
    > Evidently you have the latest service pack for your OS but perhaps some of
    > its modules are out of synch? The WU log should show you more details
    > about that, even without resorting to its verbose logging, though that would
    > be a potentially more complete diagnostic. In addition you could
    > supplement either by running ProcMon to see what else was happening at the
    > time of each write in terms of file and registry accesses. The ProcMon
    > trace doesn't exactly identify each message being written but it's not too
    > difficult to infer that based on the timestamp and the length of the write
    > involved.
    >
    >
    > > I seem to be stuck in a chicken
    > > and egg situation. Any suggestions as to how to rectify this so that I
    > > can
    > > install IE8 and get rid of the annoying "Updates are available for your
    > > computer" notification that keeps popping up!

    >
    >
    > First you need to clarify your symptoms. Remember, your words have to
    > substitute for what our eyes might notice.
    >
    >
    > HTH
    >
    > Robert Aldwinckle
    > ---
    >
    > .
    >
     
  6. Robert Aldwinckle

    Robert Aldwinckle Flightless Bird

    "KeithIrv" <KeithIrv@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    news:3F0AC6F6-0CAC-4EB6-82BD-1DE7D1AA7A77@microsoft.com...
    > Robert,
    >
    > Apologies for slow reply,
    >


    > Its just a small x as opposed to the green tick that appears against other
    > lines, such as "Downloading Files" (indicating that the line its against
    > was
    > not actioned. It also appears againt the line "Checking computer for
    > Malicious Software"). Its on the "Install Windows Internet Explorer 8"
    > screen that appears via Automatic Updates.



    Then I think you may be able to doubleclick on it and get more detail for
    it.


    >
    > From WindowsUpdate.log:



    > 2010-02-19 09:04:14:687 1224 a18 DnldMgr * All files for update were
    > already downloaded and are valid.


    > 2010-02-19 09:04:14:765 1224 1144 AU AU setting pending client directive
    > to
    > 'Install Approval' "



    I don't see a problem there.


    > I do not have the Japenese keyboard congigured. Mine is UK keyboard.
    >
    > Not sure what Procmon is. It doesn't run when I type it into the "Run"
    > command box from the Start menu.



    Try entering it in your IE search bar? ; }


    Good luck

    Robert
    ---


    >
    > Many thanks for your help.
    >
    > Keith
    >
    >
    > "Robert Aldwinckle" wrote:
    >
    >> (cross-post added to WU)
    >>
    >> "KeithIrv" <KeithIrv@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> news:2CFCC87F-34C2-4FE8-93BC-7C91F225FEB9@microsoft.com...
    >> > When I try to update to IE8 (either through automatic update or
    >> > manually),
    >> > the installation process fails to install IE8. Auto Update runs
    >> > through
    >> > the
    >> > installation but puts a red cross against the "Install Internet
    >> > Explorer
    >> > 8"
    >> > line.

    >>
    >> What kind of "red cross"? Depending on the context I can visualize
    >> something which denotes a file not found or something which failed. In
    >> the
    >> former case right-click, Properties or View Source might help clarify; in
    >> the latter case doubleclicking on that button might give you more
    >> information about it.
    >>
    >> In fact, though, if what are describing is actually a failed download or
    >> install attempt you would get more explicit clues from the
    >> WindowsUpdate.log (ref. KB902093).
    >>
    >>
    >> > If I try manually, the installation package complains that I need an
    >> > update and points me to a page to download an update (KB932823).

    >>
    >>
    >> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/932823
    >>
    >> <quote>
    >> This problem occurs if the Japanese Input Method Editor (IME) is the
    >> default
    >> keyboard layout.
    >> </quote>
    >>
    >> Do you have such a keyboard even configured? ; }
    >>
    >>
    >> > When I run
    >> > this update, it stops telling me that "Setup has detected that the
    >> > Service
    >> > Pack version of the system is newer than the update being applied.
    >> > There
    >> > is
    >> > no need to install the update". My OS is reported as XP SP3 v 5.1.2600
    >> > SP3
    >> > version 5913, build 2600 from System Info.

    >>
    >>
    >> <quote>
    >> To resolve this problem, obtain the latest service pack for Windows XP.
    >> </quote>
    >>
    >> Evidently you have the latest service pack for your OS but perhaps some
    >> of
    >> its modules are out of synch? The WU log should show you more details
    >> about that, even without resorting to its verbose logging, though that
    >> would
    >> be a potentially more complete diagnostic. In addition you could
    >> supplement either by running ProcMon to see what else was happening at
    >> the
    >> time of each write in terms of file and registry accesses. The ProcMon
    >> trace doesn't exactly identify each message being written but it's not
    >> too
    >> difficult to infer that based on the timestamp and the length of the
    >> write
    >> involved.
    >>
    >>
    >> > I seem to be stuck in a chicken
    >> > and egg situation. Any suggestions as to how to rectify this so that I
    >> > can
    >> > install IE8 and get rid of the annoying "Updates are available for your
    >> > computer" notification that keeps popping up!

    >>
    >>
    >> First you need to clarify your symptoms. Remember, your words have to
    >> substitute for what our eyes might notice.
    >>
    >>
    >> HTH
    >>
    >> Robert Aldwinckle
    >> ---
    >>
    >> .
    >>
     
  7. PA Bear [MS MVP]

    PA Bear [MS MVP] Flightless Bird

    Is McAfee Security Centre a "freebie" from your ISP or have you purchased it
    and your subscription's still current?

    The above notwithstanding, see if running this McAfee three-step fix (and
    then installing IE8 manually per my recommendations) resolves the problem:
    http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?id=TS100507

    My personal recommendations include:

    => Install IE8 manually, not via Windows Update/Automatic Updates!!
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows/internet-explorer/worldwide-sites.aspx

    NB: Save the installer to your desktop, do not Run it. When you're prepared
    to install IE8, double-click on the saved file.

    => Uninstall all third-party toolbars (e.g., Google; Yahoo; Windows Live)
    and third-party Windows Themes before installing IE8.

    => Close all open applications (i.e., anything with a taskbar icon) before
    installing or uninstalling IE8.

    => Disable all McAfee Security Centre processes (i.e., anti-virus;
    anti-spyware; firewall) and then enable the Windows Firewall prior to
    installing IE8.

    => Reboot twice after installing or uninstalling IE8, then go to
    http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com | Select CUSTOM and scan | Install any
    Critical Security Updates offered (i.e., KB976325). If a Root Certificates
    update is listed in the Optional Updates category, install it to take full
    advantage of IE's enhanced security.
    --
    ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
    MS MVP-IE, Mail, Security, Windows Client - since 2002


    KeithIrv wrote:
    > Robear,
    >
    > Apologies for being slow replying!
    >
    > 1. Version 5.1 (Build 2600.xpsp_sp3_gdr.091208-2036: service Pack3,v.5 ..
    > and then its off the side of the info box and I cannot see the rest)
    >
    > 2. 7.0.6000.16981 at the top f the tab and 7.00.6000.16981
    > (vista_gdr.091215-2244) in the File Version Value box.
    >
    > 3. Macafee Security Centre. Which is fully updated and current. I have
    > tried to install IE8 with all AV software and firewalls switched off as
    > well
    > as all switched on. The result is the same as described.
    >
    > 4. The only AV software has been the Macafee Security Centre as above.
    > Its
    > a self build machine and I am certain that no free trials AV software (or
    > spyware) has been installed.
    >
    > Grateful for your help
    >
    > Keith
    >
    >
    > "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
    >
    >> [Crosspost to Windows Update per Robert's lead]
    >>
    >> 1. Start | Run | (type) WINVER | OK
    >>
    >> Write down the complete, second line of text displayed then post it in a
    >> reply to this post.
    >>
    >> 2. In Windows Explorer, navigate to and right-click on...
    >>
    >> C:/Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.EXE <=this file
    >>
    >> Select Properties | Version (tab): What file version is displayed here
    >> (e.g., v8.0.1234.56789)?
    >>
    >> 3. What anti-virus application or security suite is installed and is your
    >> subscription current? What anti-spyware applications (other than
    >> Defender)? What third-party firewall (if any)? Were any of these
    >> applications running in the background when you attempted to install IE8?
    >>
    >> 4. Has a(another) Norton or McAfee application ever been installed on the
    >> computer (e.g., a free-trial version that came preinstalled when you
    >> bought
    >> it)?
    >> --
    >> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
    >> MS MVP-IE, Mail, Security, Windows Client - since 2002
    >>
    >>
    >> KeithIrv wrote:
    >>> When I try to update to IE8 (either through automatic update or
    >>> manually),
    >>> the installation process fails to install IE8. Auto Update runs through
    >>> the
    >>> installation but puts a red cross against the "Install Internet Explorer
    >>> 8"
    >>> line. If I try manually, the installation package complains that I need
    >>> an
    >>> update and points me to a page to download an update (KB932823). When I
    >>> run
    >>> this update, it stops telling me that "Setup has detected that the
    >>> Service
    >>> Pack version of the system is newer than the update being applied.
    >>> There
    >>> is
    >>> no need to install the update". My OS is reported as XP SP3 v 5.1.2600
    >>> SP3
    >>> version 5913, build 2600 from System Info. I seem to be stuck in a
    >>> chicken
    >>> and egg situation. Any suggestions as to how to rectify this so that I
    >>> can
    >>> install IE8 and get rid of the annoying "Updates are available for your
    >>> computer" notification that keeps popping up!

    >>
    >> .
     

Share This Page