1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

IE 7

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by bandi, Feb 14, 2010.

  1. bandi

    bandi Flightless Bird

    I have both Internet Explorer 7 and Mozilla Firefox installed on this PC
    w/XP running on it. I'd like to uninstall IE 7 and it's listed in
    add/remove in control panel but at only 2.46 MBs. I assume that's an
    upgrade so haven't tried to uninstall it. Any suggestions anyone? Anyone?
    Thanks.
     
  2. philo

    philo Flightless Bird

    bandi wrote:
    > I have both Internet Explorer 7 and Mozilla Firefox installed on this PC
    > w/XP running on it. I'd like to uninstall IE 7 and it's listed in
    > add/remove in control panel but at only 2.46 MBs. I assume that's an
    > upgrade so haven't tried to uninstall it. Any suggestions anyone? Anyone?
    > Thanks.
    >
    >



    though you can uninstall it...
    I'd keep it

    not sure why you'd want to go back to IE6?
     
  3. Bruce Hagen

    Bruce Hagen Flightless Bird

    "bandi" <mnkwms@charter.net> wrote in message
    news:%23%23vJEbdrKHA.1352@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...
    >I have both Internet Explorer 7 and Mozilla Firefox installed on this PC
    >w/XP running on it. I'd like to uninstall IE 7 and it's listed in
    >add/remove in control panel but at only 2.46 MBs. I assume that's an
    >upgrade so haven't tried to uninstall it. Any suggestions anyone?
    >Anyone? Thanks.



    XP came with IE6, so if IE7 is listed in Add/remove, it is removable. That
    will revert you back to IE6 which is not removable.

    If you go into the Control Panel | Add Remove Programs | Add/Remove
    Windows Components. you can uncheck Internet Explorer and that will stop
    it from running regardless of the version.
    --
    Bruce Hagen
    MS-MVP [Mail]
    Imperial Beach, CA
     
  4. Daave

    Daave Flightless Bird

    bandi wrote:
    > I have both Internet Explorer 7 and Mozilla Firefox installed on this
    > PC w/XP running on it. I'd like to uninstall IE 7 and it's listed in
    > add/remove in control panel but at only 2.46 MBs. I assume that's an
    > upgrade so haven't tried to uninstall it. Any suggestions anyone?
    > Anyone? Thanks.


    When you upgraded to IE7, were you at SP2 or SP3? The bottom line is if
    you upgraded to IE7 before upgrading to SP3, you need to uninstall SP3
    before you uninstall IE7.

    That being said, *why* do you want to roll back to IE6? This is very
    likely a very bad idea!
     
  5. Bill in Co.

    Bill in Co. Flightless Bird

    Daave wrote:
    > bandi wrote:
    >> I have both Internet Explorer 7 and Mozilla Firefox installed on this
    >> PC w/XP running on it. I'd like to uninstall IE 7 and it's listed in
    >> add/remove in control panel but at only 2.46 MBs. I assume that's an
    >> upgrade so haven't tried to uninstall it. Any suggestions anyone?
    >> Anyone? Thanks.

    >
    > When you upgraded to IE7, were you at SP2 or SP3? The bottom line is if
    > you upgraded to IE7 before upgrading to SP3, you need to uninstall SP3
    > before you uninstall IE7.
    >
    > That being said, *why* do you want to roll back to IE6? This is very
    > likely a very bad idea!


    Some of us can't stand IE7, and actually *prefer* IE6, if, for nothing else,
    it's customability. Actually, in my case, it's even more than that; I
    can't use CacheSentryPro reliably with IE7 or IE8, and I rely on that TIF
    cache manager (since I'm on dial-up, it really comes in handy with its
    options for the caching).
     
  6. Jose

    Jose Flightless Bird

    On Feb 14, 7:36 pm, "bandi" <mnk...@charter.net> wrote:
    > I have both Internet Explorer 7 and Mozilla Firefox installed on this PC
    > w/XP running on it.  I'd like to uninstall IE 7 and it's listed in
    > add/remove in control panel but at only 2.46 MBs.  I assume that's an
    > upgrade so haven't tried to uninstall it.  Any suggestions anyone?   Anyone?
    > Thanks.


    Since you are looking at MBs, are you trying to free up room on your
    hard disk? There are probably many better alternatives.

    Sometimes when folks compose WWW pages, their attitude is if it works
    with IE, development is done and they will not be keen to fix problems
    concerning other popular browsers - like Firefox.

    Also, at some point you may need to use the Microsoft WWW site (a
    Windows update for example) and they are going to insist you use some
    version of their browser (IE something). Sooner or later, you may
    need a reliable IE when you find something that is peculiar in some
    non IE browser. If you say you have a problem with Firefox, the next
    question is likely going to be "Does it work in IE?". You need to
    have a good answer or avoid the question by testing it yourself before
    the question gets asked.

    I have IE7 and Firefox also, and still have a reason to use IE once in
    a great while. Now I use Chrome mostly - I don't even like Firefox
    much anymore and used to think it was great! If I have a Chrome
    oddity, I will try it in Firefox, then try it in IE.

    Unless you have a compelling reason to uninstall IE7 and go back to
    IE6, I would leave it.

    That is my suggestion.
     
  7. bandi

    bandi Flightless Bird

    Guess I failed to say that I don't want either IE6 or IE7 but will continue
    with what I have, both 7 and Firefox. No, I'm not trying to save space.


    "Jose" <jose_ease@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    news:c8d32e50-2c69-4a4e-9e79-322a41fbccfe@z26g2000yqm.googlegroups.com...
    On Feb 14, 7:36 pm, "bandi" <mnk...@charter.net> wrote:
    > I have both Internet Explorer 7 and Mozilla Firefox installed on this PC
    > w/XP running on it. I'd like to uninstall IE 7 and it's listed in
    > add/remove in control panel but at only 2.46 MBs. I assume that's an
    > upgrade so haven't tried to uninstall it. Any suggestions anyone? Anyone?
    > Thanks.


    Since you are looking at MBs, are you trying to free up room on your
    hard disk? There are probably many better alternatives.

    Sometimes when folks compose WWW pages, their attitude is if it works
    with IE, development is done and they will not be keen to fix problems
    concerning other popular browsers - like Firefox.

    Also, at some point you may need to use the Microsoft WWW site (a
    Windows update for example) and they are going to insist you use some
    version of their browser (IE something). Sooner or later, you may
    need a reliable IE when you find something that is peculiar in some
    non IE browser. If you say you have a problem with Firefox, the next
    question is likely going to be "Does it work in IE?". You need to
    have a good answer or avoid the question by testing it yourself before
    the question gets asked.

    I have IE7 and Firefox also, and still have a reason to use IE once in
    a great while. Now I use Chrome mostly - I don't even like Firefox
    much anymore and used to think it was great! If I have a Chrome
    oddity, I will try it in Firefox, then try it in IE.

    Unless you have a compelling reason to uninstall IE7 and go back to
    IE6, I would leave it.

    That is my suggestion.
     
  8. PA Bear [MS MVP]

    PA Bear [MS MVP] Flightless Bird

    You can uninstall IE7 via Add/Remove Programs but all that will do is
    restore IE6. You can deny access to IE but you cannot remove it from any
    version of Windows.
    --
    ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
    MS MVP-IE, Mail, Security, Windows Client - since 2002


    bandi wrote:
    > I have both Internet Explorer 7 and Mozilla Firefox installed on this PC
    > w/XP running on it. I'd like to uninstall IE 7 and it's listed in
    > add/remove in control panel but at only 2.46 MBs. I assume that's an
    > upgrade so haven't tried to uninstall it. Any suggestions anyone?
    > Anyone?
    > Thanks.
     
  9. Daave

    Daave Flightless Bird

    Since IE is integrated into Windows XP, you don't have a choice in the
    matter (unless you do some serious hacking, I suppose).

    My recommendation is to simply use Firefox whenever you surf the Web.
    Trash the shortcuts for IE if you wish.

    Question: How do you plan on getting critical Windows updates?


    bandi wrote:
    > Guess I failed to say that I don't want either IE6 or IE7 but will
    > continue with what I have, both 7 and Firefox. No, I'm not trying to
    > save space.
     
  10. 20100215

    20100215 Flightless Bird

    "Daave" <daave@example.com> wrote in message
    news:ug%23iEvjrKHA.4236@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
    > Since IE is integrated into Windows XP, you don't have a choice in the
    > matter (unless you do some serious hacking, I suppose).
    >
    > My recommendation is to simply use Firefox whenever you surf the Web.
    > Trash the shortcuts for IE if you wish.
    >
    > Question: How do you plan on getting critical Windows updates?


    In Europe, the domination of IE is likely to end from end of this month when
    we will get a patch/pop up to ditch IE. The pop up will not be from any
    spyware writer but MICROSOFT. Read the entire article here:

    http://crave.cnet.co.uk/software/0,39029471,49303146,00.htm

    I am sure BBC website also has a news story about this. The effective date
    is 1st March 2010 but I understand M$ wants some time to sort out how to
    push critical updates for Windows and other applications.

    I will search for the article on BBC website and post it here if I can find
    it.
     

Share This Page