1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do I Import office pst file from 2003 to 2002

Discussion in 'Microsoft Office' started by lbw6303, Mar 27, 2010.

  1. lbw6303

    lbw6303 Flightless Bird

    I have a saved PST file with all outlook folders and contacts in
    Office/outlook 2003 that I want to import backwards into Office/outlook 2002.
    I keep getting an "incompatible file" message. How is this supposed to be
    done?
     
  2. DL

    DL Flightless Bird

    It cannot;
    You would need to create a pst in Outlook 2003 using the old format
    (97-2002) then copy the data to this new pst. Close the pst within Outlook.
    Copy it to the other PC, eg My Documents, then within Outlook 2002 open that
    data file

    "lbw6303" <lbw6303@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    news:81B3950E-7AA3-4566-9DDF-F7F56781EE1B@microsoft.com...
    > I have a saved PST file with all outlook folders and contacts in
    > Office/outlook 2003 that I want to import backwards into Office/outlook
    > 2002.
    > I keep getting an "incompatible file" message. How is this supposed to be
    > done?
     
  3. lbw6303

    lbw6303 Flightless Bird

    OK. I have another computer with ofc 2003 on it. I can import this pst file
    to it. How do I then reformat and export a pst file in 97-2002 format?
    Thanks lbw6303

    "DL" wrote:

    > It cannot;
    > You would need to create a pst in Outlook 2003 using the old format
    > (97-2002) then copy the data to this new pst. Close the pst within Outlook.
    > Copy it to the other PC, eg My Documents, then within Outlook 2002 open that
    > data file
    >
    > "lbw6303" <lbw6303@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > news:81B3950E-7AA3-4566-9DDF-F7F56781EE1B@microsoft.com...
    > > I have a saved PST file with all outlook folders and contacts in
    > > Office/outlook 2003 that I want to import backwards into Office/outlook
    > > 2002.
    > > I keep getting an "incompatible file" message. How is this supposed to be
    > > done?

    >
    > .
    >
     
  4. LD55ZRA

    LD55ZRA Flightless Bird

    lbw6303 wrote:

    > OK. I have another computer with ofc 2003 on it. I can import this pst file
    > to it. How do I then reformat and export a pst file in 97-2002 format?
    > Thanks lbw6303



    I suggest read this article from Microsoft:

    <http://support.microsoft.com/kb/830336>

    The entire thread of this post is now archived here permanently due to
    censorship by M$:

    <http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.office.misc/browse_thread/thread/0dccf61ad9d4ced4?hl=en#>

    hth
     
  5. Gordon

    Gordon Flightless Bird

    "lbw6303" <lbw6303@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    news:5A66922A-81BB-4B30-8F09-3FC9B2468D1F@microsoft.com...
    > OK. I have another computer with ofc 2003 on it. I can import this pst
    > file
    > to it. How do I then reformat and export a pst file in 97-2002 format?
    > Thanks lbw6303
    >


    You do none of those.
    Copy the pst file to the computer with Outlook 2003. OPEN it - do NOT
    import - that will merge it with the existing pst file.
    In Outlook do File-Open-Outlook Data File.
    Then in Outlook do File-New-Outlook Data File and ensure that you choose the
    97-2002 type. Then copy all the data from the 2003 file to the 97-2002 file.
    Close Outlook.
    Copy the 97-2992 type pst file to your computer with Office 2002. Again do
    NOT use the import function. Just open Outlook and do File-Open-Outlook Data
    File.
    You can then either copy the data to the existing pst file or set the newly
    opened file as the default delivery location.

    HTH
     
  6. lbw6303

    lbw6303 Flightless Bird

    Hi: I've tried both of the suggestions from the last two posts. In all
    cases, when i try to inport or copy the Office 2003 pst folder into office
    2002, I get the same error message. " The file blah, blah, is not compatible
    with this version of the personal folders information service. Please contact
    your Administrator". Well unfortunately that's me. It's probably all "Cockpit
    error" on my part. I did confirm that the pst file is still in the "1997 -
    2002" format. That's where it originated from when I pulled it into ofc 2003
    when I tried to upgrade.

    I believe I may have a defective Office 2003 CD. Until I can remedy that,
    I'm trying to get everything back to 2002. Worse case is that I have to wait
    to get to certain folders until I can get another CD/License.

    Any other suggestions about the how to get past/solve the file
    incompatibility problem?
    Does anyone know if I can provide my "Key" and do a download of Office 2003
    from microsoft?

    Thanks for the help.

    "Gordon" wrote:

    >
    > "lbw6303" <lbw6303@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > news:5A66922A-81BB-4B30-8F09-3FC9B2468D1F@microsoft.com...
    > > OK. I have another computer with ofc 2003 on it. I can import this pst
    > > file
    > > to it. How do I then reformat and export a pst file in 97-2002 format?
    > > Thanks lbw6303
    > >

    >
    > You do none of those.
    > Copy the pst file to the computer with Outlook 2003. OPEN it - do NOT
    > import - that will merge it with the existing pst file.
    > In Outlook do File-Open-Outlook Data File.
    > Then in Outlook do File-New-Outlook Data File and ensure that you choose the
    > 97-2002 type. Then copy all the data from the 2003 file to the 97-2002 file.
    > Close Outlook.
    > Copy the 97-2992 type pst file to your computer with Office 2002. Again do
    > NOT use the import function. Just open Outlook and do File-Open-Outlook Data
    > File.
    > You can then either copy the data to the existing pst file or set the newly
    > opened file as the default delivery location.
    >
    > HTH
    >
    > .
    >
     

Share This Page