1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How can i tell what XP is updating?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by bob urz, May 10, 2010.

  1. bob urz

    bob urz Flightless Bird

    Is there anyway to tell what Windows update is doing at any given time?
    I am on dial up and some updates seems to take forever.
    It will tell you its updating and the percentage, but it will NOT tell
    you.

    How can you tell which update is actually being downloaded?

    bob
     
  2. VanguardLH

    VanguardLH Flightless Bird

    bob urz wrote:

    > Is there anyway to tell what Windows update is doing at any given time?
    > I am on dial up and some updates seems to take forever.
    > It will tell you its updating and the percentage, but it will NOT tell
    > you.
    >
    > How can you tell which update is actually being downloaded?
    >
    > bob


    Configure the Automatic Updates service in Windows XP to *notify* (the safe
    setup) rather than download and install (a hazardous setup). If you let
    anyone, including Microsoft, change your host's software configuration
    whenever they choose then you chose not to have any control over your setup.
    When you elect to notify only, you can review what are the proposed updates
    and even go to links explaining them.
     
  3. PA Bear [MS MVP]

    PA Bear [MS MVP] Flightless Bird

    See http://support.microsoft.com/kb/306525

    If you select the Notify Only option, you'll know which updates have been
    approved for download and which updates have been approved for
    installation...because you will have approved same.


    bob urz wrote:
    > Is there anyway to tell what Windows update is doing at any given time?
    > I am on dial up and some updates seems to take forever.
    > It will tell you its updating and the percentage, but it will NOT tell
    > you.
    >
    > How can you tell which update is actually being downloaded?
    >
    > bob
     
  4. Bob I

    Bob I Flightless Bird

    Set Update to notify only, and then YOU pick them one at a time to
    download and install.

    bob urz wrote:
    > Is there anyway to tell what Windows update is doing at any given time?
    > I am on dial up and some updates seems to take forever.
    > It will tell you its updating and the percentage, but it will NOT tell
    > you.
    >
    > How can you tell which update is actually being downloaded?
    >
    > bob
     
  5. PA Bear [MS MVP]

    PA Bear [MS MVP] Flightless Bird

    [There's that goddamn echo again!]

    Bob I wrote:
    > Set Update to notify only, and then YOU pick them one at a time to
    > download and install.
    >
    > bob urz wrote:
    >> Is there anyway to tell what Windows update is doing at any given time?
    >> I am on dial up and some updates seems to take forever.
    >> It will tell you its updating and the percentage, but it will NOT tell
    >> you.
    >>
    >> How can you tell which update is actually being downloaded?
    >>
    >> bob
     
  6. VanguardLH

    VanguardLH Flightless Bird

    PA Bear wrote:

    > Bob I wrote:
    >
    >> bob urz wrote:
    >>
    >>> Is there anyway to tell what Windows update is doing at any given time?
    >>> How can you tell which update is actually being downloaded?

    >>
    >> Set Update to notify only, and then YOU pick them one at a time to
    >> download and install.

    >
    > [There's that goddamn echo again!]


    You're assuming he doesn't killfile you (like you do me).
     
  7. WaIIy

    WaIIy Flightless Bird

    On Mon, 10 May 2010 22:59:44 -0500, VanguardLH <V@nguard.LH> wrote:

    >Configure the Automatic Updates service in Windows XP to *notify* (the safe
    >setup) rather than download and install (a hazardous setup). If you let
    >anyone, including Microsoft, change your host's software configuration
    >whenever they choose then you chose not to have any control over your setup.
    >When you elect to notify only, you can review what are the proposed updates
    >and even go to links explaining them.


    Better avoid Microsoft Security Essentials which chose to change my
    options.
    Creeps
     
  8. LD5SZRA

    LD5SZRA Flightless Bird

    WaIIy wrote:
    >
    > On Mon, 10 May 2010 22:59:44 -0500, VanguardLH <V@nguard.LH> wrote:
    >


    > Better avoid Microsoft Security Essentials which chose to change my
    > options.


    Only a Wally would make comments like these! Wally in English
    means: "a silly or inept person".

    Now you have the facts you need!

    hth


    --
    THE INFORMATION IS PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY
    KIND. LD5SZRA DISCLAIMS ALL WARRANTIES, EITHER EXPRESSED OR
    IMPLIED, INCLUDING THE WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND
    FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. IN NO EVENT SHALL LD5SZRA
    OR ITS ASSOCIATES BE LIABLE FOR ANY DAMAGES WHATSOEVER
    INCLUDING DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, CONSEQUENTIAL, LOSS OF
    BUSINESS PROFITS OR SPECIAL DAMAGES, EVEN IF LD5SZRA OR ITS
    ASSOCIATES HAVE BEEN ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH
    DAMAGES. SOME STATES DO NOT ALLOW THE EXCLUSION OR
    LIMITATION OF LIABILITY FOR CONSEQUENTIAL OR INCIDENTAL
    DAMAGES SO THE FOREGOING LIMITATION MAY NOT APPLY.

    Copyright LD5SZRA 2010.
     
  9. LD5SZRA

    LD5SZRA Flightless Bird

    fyi


    LD5SZRA wrote:
    >
    > WaIIy wrote:
    > >


    > > Better avoid Microsoft Security Essentials which chose to change my
    > > options.

    >
    > Only a Wally would make comments like these! Wally in English
    > means: "a silly or inept person".
    >
    > Now you have the facts you need!
    >
    > hth
    >
    > --
    > THE INFORMATION IS PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY
    > KIND. LD5SZRA DISCLAIMS ALL WARRANTIES, EITHER EXPRESSED OR
    > IMPLIED, INCLUDING THE WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND
    > FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. IN NO EVENT SHALL LD5SZRA
    > OR ITS ASSOCIATES BE LIABLE FOR ANY DAMAGES WHATSOEVER
    > INCLUDING DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, CONSEQUENTIAL, LOSS OF
    > BUSINESS PROFITS OR SPECIAL DAMAGES, EVEN IF LD5SZRA OR ITS
    > ASSOCIATES HAVE BEEN ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH
    > DAMAGES. SOME STATES DO NOT ALLOW THE EXCLUSION OR
    > LIMITATION OF LIABILITY FOR CONSEQUENTIAL OR INCIDENTAL
    > DAMAGES SO THE FOREGOING LIMITATION MAY NOT APPLY.
    >
    > Copyright LD5SZRA 2010.


    --
    THE INFORMATION IS PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY
    KIND. LD5SZRA DISCLAIMS ALL WARRANTIES, EITHER EXPRESSED OR
    IMPLIED, INCLUDING THE WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND
    FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. IN NO EVENT SHALL LD5SZRA
    OR ITS ASSOCIATES BE LIABLE FOR ANY DAMAGES WHATSOEVER
    INCLUDING DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, CONSEQUENTIAL, LOSS OF
    BUSINESS PROFITS OR SPECIAL DAMAGES, EVEN IF LD5SZRA OR ITS
    ASSOCIATES HAVE BEEN ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH
    DAMAGES. SOME STATES DO NOT ALLOW THE EXCLUSION OR
    LIMITATION OF LIABILITY FOR CONSEQUENTIAL OR INCIDENTAL
    DAMAGES SO THE FOREGOING LIMITATION MAY NOT APPLY.

    Copyright LD5SZRA 2010.
     
  10. PA Bear [MS MVP]

    PA Bear [MS MVP] Flightless Bird

    WaIIy wrote:
    >> Configure the Automatic Updates service in Windows XP to *notify* (the
    >> safe
    >> setup) rather than download and install (a hazardous setup). If you let
    >> anyone, including Microsoft, change your host's software configuration
    >> whenever they choose then you chose not to have any control over your
    >> setup. When you elect to notify only, you can review what are the
    >> proposed
    >> updates and even go to links explaining them.

    >
    > Better avoid Microsoft Security Essentials which chose to change my
    > options.


    If you paid attention when you installed MSE and read the EULA, you would
    have seen the notice that installing MSE automatically "flips" your default
    update source from Windows Update to Microsoft Update. When such a change
    takes place, Automatic Updates is also changed to the Automatic setting (if
    it wasn't already selected before you installed MSE).

    The same applies to installing MS Office, Windows Live Essentials, and
    Silverlight.
     

Share This Page