1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Go ahead and laugh!

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Andy, Mar 23, 2010.

  1. Andy

    Andy Flightless Bird

    Go ahead and laugh!

    Since I got the VAIO Win7 64 laptop it came with an infrared sensor that
    came with no documentation.

    Try as I might I couldn't find anything in the device manager.

    Just today I took a brilliant (120 lumens) flashlight (I know, more
    brilliant than me) and pointed it at the sensor.

    It faintly lit up a "Blu-Ray" disk icon. It was totally invisible until I
    lit it up. Piss poor stamp if you ask me! So DON'T ask me.

    LOL!!!

    Andy
     
  2. Char Jackson

    Char Jackson Flightless Bird

    On Tue, 23 Mar 2010 18:57:26 -0500, Andy <a@b.c> wrote:

    >Go ahead and laugh!
    >
    >Since I got the VAIO Win7 64 laptop it came with an infrared sensor that
    >came with no documentation.
    >
    >Try as I might I couldn't find anything in the device manager.
    >
    >Just today I took a brilliant (120 lumens) flashlight (I know, more
    >brilliant than me) and pointed it at the sensor.
    >
    >It faintly lit up a "Blu-Ray" disk icon. It was totally invisible until I
    >lit it up. Piss poor stamp if you ask me! So DON'T ask me.
    >
    >LOL!!!
    >
    >Andy


    I wonder if I'm the only person who has absolutely no idea what you're
    talking about, but since we're not supposed to ask, I guess I'll just
    pass and go on to the next message.
     
  3. Gene E. Bloch

    Gene E. Bloch Flightless Bird

    On Tue, 23 Mar 2010 20:40:36 -0500, Char Jackson wrote:

    > On Tue, 23 Mar 2010 18:57:26 -0500, Andy <a@b.c> wrote:
    >
    >>Go ahead and laugh!
    >>
    >>Since I got the VAIO Win7 64 laptop it came with an infrared sensor that
    >>came with no documentation.
    >>
    >>Try as I might I couldn't find anything in the device manager.
    >>
    >>Just today I took a brilliant (120 lumens) flashlight (I know, more
    >>brilliant than me) and pointed it at the sensor.
    >>
    >>It faintly lit up a "Blu-Ray" disk icon. It was totally invisible until I
    >>lit it up. Piss poor stamp if you ask me! So DON'T ask me.
    >>
    >>LOL!!!
    >>
    >>Andy

    >
    > I wonder if I'm the only person who has absolutely no idea what you're
    > talking about, but since we're not supposed to ask, I guess I'll just
    > pass and go on to the next message.


    Add one.

    And just now, this is the most recent message, so I can't go on.

    Actually, I can move on - a couple of old threads have new posts.

    --
    Gene E. Bloch letters0x40blochg0x2Ecom
     
  4. Char Jackson

    Char Jackson Flightless Bird

    On Tue, 23 Mar 2010 19:40:42 -0700, "Gene E. Bloch"
    <not-me@other.invalid> wrote:

    >On Tue, 23 Mar 2010 20:40:36 -0500, Char Jackson wrote:
    >
    >> On Tue, 23 Mar 2010 18:57:26 -0500, Andy <a@b.c> wrote:
    >>
    >>>Go ahead and laugh!
    >>>
    >>>Since I got the VAIO Win7 64 laptop it came with an infrared sensor that
    >>>came with no documentation.
    >>>
    >>>Try as I might I couldn't find anything in the device manager.
    >>>
    >>>Just today I took a brilliant (120 lumens) flashlight (I know, more
    >>>brilliant than me) and pointed it at the sensor.
    >>>
    >>>It faintly lit up a "Blu-Ray" disk icon. It was totally invisible until I
    >>>lit it up. Piss poor stamp if you ask me! So DON'T ask me.
    >>>
    >>>LOL!!!
    >>>
    >>>Andy

    >>
    >> I wonder if I'm the only person who has absolutely no idea what you're
    >> talking about, but since we're not supposed to ask, I guess I'll just
    >> pass and go on to the next message.

    >
    >Add one.
    >
    >And just now, this is the most recent message, so I can't go on.
    >
    >Actually, I can move on - a couple of old threads have new posts.


    :)
     
  5. Andy

    Andy Flightless Bird

    Char Jackson <none@none.invalid> wrote:

    > I wonder if I'm the only person who has absolutely no idea what you're
    > talking about, but since we're not supposed to ask, I guess I'll just
    > pass and go on to the next message.



    Sorry.

    See http://i40.tinypic.com/2mh91jk.jpg The 12mp Nikon camera picked it up
    very clearly. It's still pretty dim for a prominent technology logo
    sticker, imho.

    My trouble was the angle of view and lighting.

    Andy
     
  6. Andy

    Andy Flightless Bird

    I'll add a "what I don't know can't hurt me" story.

    Needing a new 'puter I walked into Best Buy and strolled the laptop
    aisle. I came to a stop at the Sony Vaio for no better reason than it had
    a white keyboard with black lettering. I glanced around for a salesperson
    and called it over and declared I'll take one of these please!

    I had NO IDEA of the monster technology under the hood. For $700!

    They probably mis-priced Win7 64x 2.2Ghz, 300Gb drive, 4Gb ram, ports
    "out the wazoo" I don't know what to do with, blu ray/DVD drive, HDTV
    resolution 17" (?), some stupid "look at me!" camera (device manger
    disabled instantly), minimal sound definition but OK, it's not Deep
    Purple useful. I forget what else.

    James Bond stuff tucked nice 'n' tight in a "some shaped" pizza box!

    Andy
     
  7. Spanky de Monkey, ESQ

    Spanky de Monkey, ESQ Flightless Bird

    They didn't mis-price the PC.



    "Andy" <a@b.c> wrote in message news:Xns9D454754B7F8DCotd@216.196.97.131...
    > I'll add a "what I don't know can't hurt me" story.
    >
    > Needing a new 'puter I walked into Best Buy and strolled the laptop
    > aisle. I came to a stop at the Sony Vaio for no better reason than it had
    > a white keyboard with black lettering. I glanced around for a salesperson
    > and called it over and declared I'll take one of these please!
    >
    > I had NO IDEA of the monster technology under the hood. For $700!
    >
    > They probably mis-priced Win7 64x 2.2Ghz, 300Gb drive, 4Gb ram, ports
    > "out the wazoo" I don't know what to do with, blu ray/DVD drive, HDTV
    > resolution 17" (?), some stupid "look at me!" camera (device manger
    > disabled instantly), minimal sound definition but OK, it's not Deep
    > Purple useful. I forget what else.
    >
    > James Bond stuff tucked nice 'n' tight in a "some shaped" pizza box!
    >
    > Andy
     
  8. Andrew

    Andrew Flightless Bird

    "Spanky de Monkey, ESQ" <spanky@deMonkey.gov> wrote in message
    news:4baa2221@news.x-privat.org...
    > They didn't mis-price the PC.


    Yeah that's a cheap laptop.
    I personally don't like the Sony's at all.

    --
    Andrew
     
  9. Dave

    Dave Flightless Bird

    Andy wrote:
    > Go ahead and laugh!
    >
    > Since I got the VAIO Win7 64 laptop it came with an infrared sensor
    > that came with no documentation.
    >
    > Try as I might I couldn't find anything in the device manager.
    >
    > Just today I took a brilliant (120 lumens) flashlight (I know, more
    > brilliant than me) and pointed it at the sensor.
    >
    > It faintly lit up a "Blu-Ray" disk icon. It was totally invisible
    > until I lit it up. Piss poor stamp if you ask me! So DON'T ask me.
    >
    > LOL!!!
    >
    > Andy


    Err... it's not a sensor. It's just a label.
     
  10. Char Jackson

    Char Jackson Flightless Bird

    On Wed, 24 Mar 2010 06:00:55 -0500, Andy <a@b.c> wrote:

    >I'll add a "what I don't know can't hurt me" story.
    >
    >Needing a new 'puter I walked into Best Buy and strolled the laptop
    >aisle. I came to a stop at the Sony Vaio for no better reason than it had
    >a white keyboard with black lettering. I glanced around for a salesperson
    >and called it over and declared I'll take one of these please!


    I know a lady who bought a car because it was white, had two doors,
    and a spoiler. True story. :)
     
  11. G. Morgan

    G. Morgan Flightless Bird

    Andy <a@b.c> wrote:

    >Needing a new 'puter I walked into Best Buy and strolled the laptop
    >aisle. I came to a stop at the Sony Vaio for no better reason than it had
    >a white keyboard with black lettering. I glanced around for a salesperson
    >and called it over and declared I'll take one of these please!


    Best Buy, huh? White keyboard sold ya, huh?

    >I had NO IDEA of the monster technology under the hood. For $700!


    It sounds like you still don't know what you have.

    >They probably mis-priced Win7 64x 2.2Ghz, 300Gb drive, 4Gb ram, ports
    >"out the wazoo"


    They probably did. That's too high.

    > I don't know what to do with, blu ray/DVD drive, HDTV
    >resolution 17" (?), some stupid "look at me!" camera (device manger
    >disabled instantly), minimal sound definition but OK, it's not Deep
    >Purple useful. I forget what else.
    >
    >James Bond stuff tucked nice 'n' tight in a "some shaped" pizza box!


    Me thinks you have more dollars than sense.
     
  12. Gene E. Bloch

    Gene E. Bloch Flightless Bird

    On Wed, 24 Mar 2010 12:45:56 -0500, Char Jackson wrote:

    > On Wed, 24 Mar 2010 06:00:55 -0500, Andy <a@b.c> wrote:
    >
    >>I'll add a "what I don't know can't hurt me" story.
    >>
    >>Needing a new 'puter I walked into Best Buy and strolled the laptop
    >>aisle. I came to a stop at the Sony Vaio for no better reason than it had
    >>a white keyboard with black lettering. I glanced around for a salesperson
    >>and called it over and declared I'll take one of these please!

    >
    > I know a lady who bought a car because it was white, had two doors,
    > and a spoiler. True story. :)


    She would have done better if she had picked the one with the engine.

    (Yes, I had to say that!)

    --
    Gene E. Bloch letters0x40blochg0x2Ecom
     
  13. Al Smith

    Al Smith Flightless Bird

    G. Morgan wrote:
    > Andy<a@b.c> wrote:
    >
    >> Needing a new 'puter I walked into Best Buy and strolled the laptop
    >> aisle. I came to a stop at the Sony Vaio for no better reason than it had
    >> a white keyboard with black lettering. I glanced around for a salesperson
    >> and called it over and declared I'll take one of these please!

    >
    > Best Buy, huh? White keyboard sold ya, huh?
    >
    >> I had NO IDEA of the monster technology under the hood. For $700!

    >
    > It sounds like you still don't know what you have.
    >
    >> They probably mis-priced Win7 64x 2.2Ghz, 300Gb drive, 4Gb ram, ports
    >> "out the wazoo"

    >
    > They probably did. That's too high.
    >
    >> I don't know what to do with, blu ray/DVD drive, HDTV
    >> resolution 17" (?), some stupid "look at me!" camera (device manger
    >> disabled instantly), minimal sound definition but OK, it's not Deep
    >> Purple useful. I forget what else.
    >>
    >> James Bond stuff tucked nice 'n' tight in a "some shaped" pizza box!

    >
    > Me thinks you have more dollars than sense.
    >


    Not any more, he doesn't.

    -Al-
     

Share This Page