• Welcome to Tux Reports: Where Penguins Fly. We hope you find the topics varied, interesting, and worthy of your time. Please become a member and join in the discussions.

Generating user activity on the forums

DPF

Teen Bird
Anyone have tips/ideas for generating user activity on the forums of a site? I'm having a decent time obtaining new members, but getting them involved with discussions isn't going well at all.

I'm currently at almost 1600 members and just 600 topics and 2200 replies. I feel like it should be higher since the majority of the replies and topics are coming from 5-6 users.

Gracie

Dogs Times Writer
It takes years to build a site and moments to destroy it. Tux Reports was vibrant with over 50K active daily readers. This was due to hourly updates with new articles, and exchanges between readers. It was also due to publishing since 1996. This was all lost in 2010 with the loss of a family member. Most of us couldn't come here and post. People lost interest. Spammers even destroyed old posts, etc.

My point, keep going. Traffic leads to more traffic and the word of mouth leads to interaction. Don't force anything. Don't be cute. Don't bait. Just stay focused on your niche and publish often.

It'll happen if you keep going.

DPF

Teen Bird
That sucks, I always hate seeing communities loose activity.

But it seems after I added a WP powered front page, put up some great/decent articles things are starting to pick up. Just gonna keep on keeping on and see where it goes!

Thanks!