• Welcome to Tux Reports: Where Penguins Fly. We hope you find the topics varied, interesting, and worthy of your time. Please become a member and join in the discussions.

Gathering Feedback for Teachers

LPH

Flight Director
Flight Instructor
MET published a study suggesting criteria for evaluating teachers.

http://metproject.org/downloads/MET_Gathering_Feedback_Practioner_Brief.pdf

1. Choose an observation instrument that sets clear expectations

2. Require observers to demonstrate accuracy before they rate teacher practice

3. Require multiple observations prior to high-stakes decisions

4. Track system-level reliability by double-scoring some teachers with impartial observers

5. Combine observations with student achievement gains and student feedback

6. Regularly verify that teachers with stronger observation scores also have stronger student achievement gains on average

In a statement Friday, American Federation of Teachers President Randi Weingarten, points out that the study fails to offer suggestions on how to use that evaluation process to improve teacher practice.

Excuse me? The responsibility for improving solely rests on the teacher and no one else. Period. Once the teacher receives feedback then they must adjust. No one can make them.

Robert Heiny

Research Scientist of Learning and Education
Flight Instructor
Measures of Effective Teaching has been a conventional, although grand approach to measuring what contributes to effective teaching. Even the title features what teachers do as though their actions matter. The project has included students in its model, but it does not include, unless I missed them, references to over 100 years of experimental empirical behavioral science research findings that describe how learners try to complete teachers' lessons successfully. I wonder to what extent this failure invalidates the project's results?