1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Folder Sort Order keeps changing

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by JGreg7, May 14, 2010.

  1. JGreg7

    JGreg7 Flightless Bird

    For some unknown reason, somewhwere after mid-April my folder sort order is
    messed up. Normally I have the sort order set to alphabetical, which is
    applied to all folders, however now, the sort order keeps changing.

    The predominate sort is a reverse alphabetical order (Z to A), however I
    also get other sorts including some totally random sorts. This seems to
    happen regardless of the view (list, details, icons, etc.) and happens quite
    randomly.

    I have been watching this for a couple of weeks, but I have not been able to
    discern any pattern for this happening, or what sort order I may get. I have
    repeatedly re-set the sort order and applied it to all folders, but this does
    not have any affect.

    The sort issue seems to happen with all programs that provide some type of
    file view (such as an open dialog).

    I can easily re-sort the folder, but I have to do this every time I open it.
    This is quite a nuissance.

    Is there a way to fix this?

    --
    Thank you,
    John Gregory
     
  2. Bob I

    Bob I Flightless Bird

    I suspect the number of folders you have is the issue, fix is at link.

    My view settings or customizations for a folder are lost or incorrect
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/813711/

    JGreg7 wrote:

    > For some unknown reason, somewhwere after mid-April my folder sort order is
    > messed up. Normally I have the sort order set to alphabetical, which is
    > applied to all folders, however now, the sort order keeps changing.
    >
    > The predominate sort is a reverse alphabetical order (Z to A), however I
    > also get other sorts including some totally random sorts. This seems to
    > happen regardless of the view (list, details, icons, etc.) and happens quite
    > randomly.
    >
    > I have been watching this for a couple of weeks, but I have not been able to
    > discern any pattern for this happening, or what sort order I may get. I have
    > repeatedly re-set the sort order and applied it to all folders, but this does
    > not have any affect.
    >
    > The sort issue seems to happen with all programs that provide some type of
    > file view (such as an open dialog).
    >
    > I can easily re-sort the folder, but I have to do this every time I open it.
    > This is quite a nuissance.
    >
    > Is there a way to fix this?
    >
     
  3. JGreg7

    JGreg7 Flightless Bird

    I followed the link which showed registry edits. When I looked in the
    registry, these keys were already in place. Any other ideas?

    --
    Thank you,
    John Gregory


    "Bob I" wrote:

    > I suspect the number of folders you have is the issue, fix is at link.
    >
    > My view settings or customizations for a folder are lost or incorrect
    > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/813711/
    >
    > JGreg7 wrote:
    >
    > > For some unknown reason, somewhwere after mid-April my folder sort order is
    > > messed up. Normally I have the sort order set to alphabetical, which is
    > > applied to all folders, however now, the sort order keeps changing.
    > >
    > > The predominate sort is a reverse alphabetical order (Z to A), however I
    > > also get other sorts including some totally random sorts. This seems to
    > > happen regardless of the view (list, details, icons, etc.) and happens quite
    > > randomly.
    > >
    > > I have been watching this for a couple of weeks, but I have not been able to
    > > discern any pattern for this happening, or what sort order I may get. I have
    > > repeatedly re-set the sort order and applied it to all folders, but this does
    > > not have any affect.
    > >
    > > The sort issue seems to happen with all programs that provide some type of
    > > file view (such as an open dialog).
    > >
    > > I can easily re-sort the folder, but I have to do this every time I open it.
    > > This is quite a nuissance.
    > >
    > > Is there a way to fix this?
    > >

    >
    > .
    >
     
  4. Bob I

    Bob I Flightless Bird

    Raise the count from 5000 to 8000?

    JGreg7 wrote:

    > I followed the link which showed registry edits. When I looked in the
    > registry, these keys were already in place. Any other ideas?
    >
     

Share This Page