1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

favorites not working

Discussion in 'Internet Explorer' started by Derek, Apr 27, 2010.

  1. Derek

    Derek Flightless Bird

    I have searched the forums but couldnt find my particular problem so here
    goes :-

    I am using IE8 in Vista with service pack 2.
    yesterday without warning my favorites stopped working.
    the icons for the favorites are just the plain default.

    when i click on a favorite (from side bar or menu or links) sometimes
    nothing happens and sometimes i get a box

    asking me if i want to open or save.
    If i open - nothing happens - if i save it save the favorite but it still
    doesnt work.

    I have uninstalled ie8 and tried ie7 but no good.
    i reinstalled ie8 but still the same.

    i used a reg cleaner and optimiser, still not working.

    i exported my favorites and then imported them but still no good. (and yes i
    am rebooting after every change).

    when i click on the exported file, ie opens with a list of my favorites and
    when i click on one it works ok.

    If i add a new favorite it doesnt work.

    ie works ok if i type in the address.

    i have tried restoring my favorites from a backup but no joy.

    i have tried using system restore but for some reason nonme of my restore
    points are sucssesful.

    the only time a favorite will work is from the exported file.

    I have run an anti virus & mallware/spyware and after removing the finds and
    rebooting its still the same.

    i have searched the internet but everything i have tried does no good.

    can anyone help before i tear my hair out!!!!

    thanks in advance
    Derek
     
  2. Rob

    Rob Flightless Bird

    Derek <Derek@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
    > I have searched the forums but couldnt find my particular problem so here
    > goes :-


    Posting one time is enough.
     
  3. Derek

    Derek Flightless Bird

    Yes sorry about that but everytime i posted it i was told there had been an
    error and to try again.
    when i finally got it posted i discovered all these postings.
    I have now got the problem sorted - i managed to do a system restore using
    my install disks instead of via windows. after restoring the earliest one
    there was everything worked ok.
    btw the problem also affected live mail. i was getting an error 0x80041161
    and after uninstalling, the system would not run the install again (i assume
    because the install download was just a link).

    "Rob" wrote:

    > Derek <Derek@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
    > > I have searched the forums but couldnt find my particular problem so here
    > > goes :-

    >
    > Posting one time is enough.
    > .
    >
     

Share This Page