1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Drivers for HP 5187-7583?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by XS11E, May 8, 2010.

  1. XS11E

    XS11E Flightless Bird

    I'd like to use the keyboard from my old HP computer with my new one
    but I can't find any Win7 drivers so none of the media or internet keys function.

    HP provides drivers for Vista 64 but none for Win7 64 nor have I had
    any luck finding any????

    I keep coming up with stuff like:
    http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Other-Desktop-PC-questions/HP-5187-driver-needed-for-WIN7/m-p/247482
    so it looks like I'm not alone...

    Any help?

    --
    XS11E, Killing all posts from Google Groups
    The Usenet Improvement Project:
    http://twovoyagers.com/improve-usenet.org/
     
  2. Gordon

    Gordon Flightless Bird

    "XS11E" <xs11eNO@SPAMyahoo.com> wrote in message
    news:Xns9D72ECB40FB4Fxs11eyahoocom@127.0.0.1...
    > I'd like to use the keyboard from my old HP computer with my new one
    > but I can't find any Win7 drivers so none of the media or internet keys
    > function.
    >
    > HP provides drivers for Vista 64 but none for Win7 64 nor have I had
    > any luck finding any????
    >
    > I keep coming up with stuff like:
    > http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Other-Desktop-PC-questions/HP-5187-driver-needed-for-WIN7/m-p/247482
    > so it looks like I'm not alone...
    >
    > Any help?


    Have you tried the Vista drivers? There's a chance they might work...
     
  3. XS11E

    XS11E Flightless Bird

    "Gordon" <gordonbparker@yahoo.com> wrote:

    >
    > "XS11E" <xs11eNO@SPAMyahoo.com> wrote in message
    > news:Xns9D72ECB40FB4Fxs11eyahoocom@127.0.0.1...
    >> I'd like to use the keyboard from my old HP computer with my new
    >> one but I can't find any Win7 drivers so none of the media or
    >> internet keys function.
    >>
    >> HP provides drivers for Vista 64 but none for Win7 64 nor have I
    >> had any luck finding any????
    >>
    >> I keep coming up with stuff like:
    >> http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Other-Desktop-PC-questions/HP-5187-dr
    >> iver-needed-for-WIN7/m-p/247482 so it looks like I'm not alone...
    >>
    >> Any help?

    >
    > Have you tried the Vista drivers? There's a chance they might
    > work...


    Yes, of course I have but they don't work.

    --
    XS11E, Killing all posts from Google Groups
    The Usenet Improvement Project:
    http://twovoyagers.com/improve-usenet.org/
     
  4. DL

    DL Flightless Bird

    Well if HP don't supply new drivers your obviously stuck

    "XS11E" <xs11eNO@SPAMyahoo.com> wrote in message
    news:Xns9D73A99F97BExs11eyahoocom@127.0.0.1...
    > "Gordon" <gordonbparker@yahoo.com> wrote:
    >
    >>
    >> "XS11E" <xs11eNO@SPAMyahoo.com> wrote in message
    >> news:Xns9D72ECB40FB4Fxs11eyahoocom@127.0.0.1...
    >>> I'd like to use the keyboard from my old HP computer with my new
    >>> one but I can't find any Win7 drivers so none of the media or
    >>> internet keys function.
    >>>
    >>> HP provides drivers for Vista 64 but none for Win7 64 nor have I
    >>> had any luck finding any????
    >>>
    >>> I keep coming up with stuff like:
    >>> http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Other-Desktop-PC-questions/HP-5187-dr
    >>> iver-needed-for-WIN7/m-p/247482 so it looks like I'm not alone...
    >>>
    >>> Any help?

    >>
    >> Have you tried the Vista drivers? There's a chance they might
    >> work...

    >
    > Yes, of course I have but they don't work.
    >
    > --
    > XS11E, Killing all posts from Google Groups
    > The Usenet Improvement Project:
    > http://twovoyagers.com/improve-usenet.org/
     
  5. Trev

    Trev Flightless Bird

    "XS11E" <xs11eNO@SPAMyahoo.com> wrote in message
    news:Xns9D73A99F97BExs11eyahoocom@127.0.0.1...
    > "Gordon" <gordonbparker@yahoo.com> wrote:
    >
    >>
    >> "XS11E" <xs11eNO@SPAMyahoo.com> wrote in message
    >> news:Xns9D72ECB40FB4Fxs11eyahoocom@127.0.0.1...
    >>> I'd like to use the keyboard from my old HP computer with my new
    >>> one but I can't find any Win7 drivers so none of the media or
    >>> internet keys function.
    >>>
    >>> HP provides drivers for Vista 64 but none for Win7 64 nor have I
    >>> had any luck finding any????
    >>>
    >>> I keep coming up with stuff like:
    >>> http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Other-Desktop-PC-questions/HP-5187-dr
    >>> iver-needed-for-WIN7/m-p/247482 so it looks like I'm not alone...
    >>>
    >>> Any help?

    >>
    >> Have you tried the Vista drivers? There's a chance they might
    >> work...

    >
    > Yes, of course I have but they don't work.
    >

    Did you install as compatible mode.
    A quick visual guide
    http://www.trevorbowden.co.uk/Win7compatmode.html
     
  6. Gordon

    Gordon Flightless Bird

    "XS11E" <xs11eNO@SPAMyahoo.com> wrote in message
    news:Xns9D73A99F97BExs11eyahoocom@127.0.0.1...
    >
    > Yes, of course


    So why didn't you SAY you'd tried them?
     
  7. Ken Blake

    Ken Blake Flightless Bird

    On Sat, 08 May 2010 23:16:07 -0700, XS11E <xs11eNO@SPAMyahoo.com>
    wrote:

    > I'd like to use the keyboard from my old HP computer with my new one
    > but I can't find any Win7 drivers so none of the media or internet keys function.
    >
    > HP provides drivers for Vista 64 but none for Win7 64 nor have I had
    > any luck finding any????



    Then you're probably out of luck.
    Ken Blake, Microsoft MVP (Windows Desktop Experience) since 2003
     
  8. LouB

    LouB Flightless Bird

    Ken Blake wrote:
    > On Sat, 08 May 2010 23:16:07 -0700, XS11E <xs11eNO@SPAMyahoo.com>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> I'd like to use the keyboard from my old HP computer with my new one
    >> but I can't find any Win7 drivers so none of the media or internet keys function.
    >>
    >> HP provides drivers for Vista 64 but none for Win7 64 nor have I had
    >> any luck finding any????

    >
    >
    > Then you're probably out of luck.
    > Ken Blake, Microsoft MVP (Windows Desktop Experience) since 2003


    But I was told that Win7 is heavily based on Vista
     
  9. MJMIII

    MJMIII Flightless Bird

    "LouB" <Lou@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
    news:4BE6E3FF.5020502@invalid.invalid...
    > Ken Blake wrote:
    >> On Sat, 08 May 2010 23:16:07 -0700, XS11E <xs11eNO@SPAMyahoo.com>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>> I'd like to use the keyboard from my old HP computer with my new one but
    >>> I can't find any Win7 drivers so none of the media or internet keys
    >>> function.
    >>> HP provides drivers for Vista 64 but none for Win7 64 nor have I had any
    >>> luck finding any????

    >>
    >>
    >> Then you're probably out of luck.
    >> Ken Blake, Microsoft MVP (Windows Desktop Experience) since 2003

    >
    > But I was told that Win7 is heavily based on Vista


    ....and you're enough of an asshole to believe everything you read on the
    internet.
    --


    "Don't pick a fight with an old man.
    If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you."
     
  10. Ken Blake

    Ken Blake Flightless Bird

    On Sun, 09 May 2010 12:34:07 -0400, LouB <Lou@invalid.invalid> wrote:

    > Ken Blake wrote:
    > > On Sat, 08 May 2010 23:16:07 -0700, XS11E <xs11eNO@SPAMyahoo.com>
    > > wrote:
    > >
    > >> I'd like to use the keyboard from my old HP computer with my new one
    > >> but I can't find any Win7 drivers so none of the media or internet keys function.
    > >>
    > >> HP provides drivers for Vista 64 but none for Win7 64 nor have I had
    > >> any luck finding any????

    > >
    > >
    > > Then you're probably out of luck.
    > > Ken Blake, Microsoft MVP (Windows Desktop Experience) since 2003

    >
    > But I was told that Win7 is heavily based on Vista




    It is. In fact, it could have been called something like Vista Second
    Edition (as Microsoft did with Windows 98). Under the hood Vista is
    Windows 6.0 and Windows 7 is Windows 6.1, an upgrade to 6.0, not a
    whole new operating system. What Microsoft decides to call something
    is a marketing decision, not a technical one, and they apparently
    decided that giving it a new name would be likely to sell more copies.

    And in fact, Vista drivers sometimes work with Windows 7. But in this
    case, he tried the Windows Vista drivers and they did *not* work.


    Ken Blake, Microsoft MVP (Windows Desktop Experience) since 2003
     
  11. XS11E

    XS11E Flightless Bird

    Ken Blake <kblake@this.is.invalid.com> wrote:

    > And in fact, Vista drivers sometimes work with Windows 7. But in
    > this case, he tried the Windows Vista drivers and they did *not*
    > work.


    So.... why is that?

    --
    XS11E, Killing all posts from Google Groups
    The Usenet Improvement Project:
    http://twovoyagers.com/improve-usenet.org/
     
  12. Frank

    Frank Flightless Bird

    On 5/9/2010 9:21 PM, XS11E wrote:
    > Ken Blake<kblake@this.is.invalid.com> wrote:
    >
    >> And in fact, Vista drivers sometimes work with Windows 7. But in
    >> this case, he tried the Windows Vista drivers and they did *not*
    >> work.

    >
    > So.... why is that?
    >

    Simple...because Windows 7 is not Vista, nor is it Vista SE. It is
    Windows 7.
    Period.
     
  13. XS11E

    XS11E Flightless Bird

    Frank <fb@amk.cmo> wrote:

    > On 5/9/2010 9:21 PM, XS11E wrote:
    >> Ken Blake<kblake@this.is.invalid.com> wrote:
    >>
    >>> And in fact, Vista drivers sometimes work with Windows 7. But in
    >>> this case, he tried the Windows Vista drivers and they did *not*
    >>> work.

    >>
    >> So.... why is that?
    >>

    > Simple...because Windows 7 is not Vista, nor is it Vista SE. It is
    > Windows 7.


    I didn't think anyone would be stupid enough to offer that as an
    explanation, I didn't count on your limitless idiocy apparently...


    --
    XS11E, Killing all posts from Google Groups
    The Usenet Improvement Project:
    http://twovoyagers.com/improve-usenet.org/
     
  14. Trev

    Trev Flightless Bird

    "XS11E" <xs11eNO@SPAMyahoo.com> wrote in message
    news:Xns9D7490ED9D4xs11eyahoocom@127.0.0.1...
    > Frank <fb@amk.cmo> wrote:
    >
    >> On 5/9/2010 9:21 PM, XS11E wrote:
    >>> Ken Blake<kblake@this.is.invalid.com> wrote:
    >>>
    >>>> And in fact, Vista drivers sometimes work with Windows 7. But in
    >>>> this case, he tried the Windows Vista drivers and they did *not*
    >>>> work.
    >>>
    >>> So.... why is that?
    >>>

    >> Simple...because Windows 7 is not Vista, nor is it Vista SE. It is
    >> Windows 7.

    >
    > I didn't think anyone would be stupid enough to offer that as an
    > explanation, I didn't count on your limitless idiocy apparently...
    >
    >
    > --
    > XS11E, Killing all posts from Google Groups
    > The Usenet Improvement Project:
    > http://twovoyagers.com/improve-usenet.org/


    When you say did not work Did they install or did the install not work. If
    the later right click the setup Exe select properties then the compatibility
    tab and then Vista. Ok back out and Install
     
  15. Alias

    Alias Flightless Bird

    XS11E wrote:
    > Frank<fb@amk.cmo> wrote:
    >
    >> On 5/9/2010 9:21 PM, XS11E wrote:
    >>> Ken Blake<kblake@this.is.invalid.com> wrote:
    >>>
    >>>> And in fact, Vista drivers sometimes work with Windows 7. But in
    >>>> this case, he tried the Windows Vista drivers and they did *not*
    >>>> work.
    >>>
    >>> So.... why is that?
    >>>

    >> Simple...because Windows 7 is not Vista, nor is it Vista SE. It is
    >> Windows 7.

    >
    > I didn't think anyone would be stupid enough to offer that as an
    > explanation, I didn't count on your limitless idiocy apparently...
    >
    >


    You can count on it with each and every post of his. Fact is Vista is NT
    6.0 and Win 7 is NT 6.1. To anyone with a brain, that means that 7 is
    Vista SE. Course with the very bad name Vista brought upon itself, I can
    understand why the marketing dept. of MS wanted to do away with the name.

    --
    Alias
     
  16. XS11E

    XS11E Flightless Bird

    "Trev" <trev_uk@hotmail.com invalid> wrote:

    > When you say did not work Did they install or did the install not
    > work.


    Installed, did not work.


    --
    XS11E, Killing all posts from Google Groups
    The Usenet Improvement Project:
    http://twovoyagers.com/improve-usenet.org/
     
  17. Frank

    Frank Flightless Bird

    alias is an idiot!

    On 5/10/2010 4:23 AM, Alias wrote:
    > XS11E wrote:
    >> Frank<fb@amk.cmo> wrote:
    >>
    >>> On 5/9/2010 9:21 PM, XS11E wrote:
    >>>> Ken Blake<kblake@this.is.invalid.com> wrote:
    >>>>
    >>>>> And in fact, Vista drivers sometimes work with Windows 7. But in
    >>>>> this case, he tried the Windows Vista drivers and they did *not*
    >>>>> work.
    >>>>
    >>>> So.... why is that?
    >>>>
    >>> Simple...because Windows 7 is not Vista, nor is it Vista SE. It is
    >>> Windows 7.

    >>
    >> I didn't think anyone would be stupid enough to offer that as an
    >> explanation, I didn't count on your limitless idiocy apparently...
    >>
    >>

    >
    > You can count on it with each and every post of his. Fact is Vista is NT
    > 6.0 and Win 7 is NT 6.1. To anyone with a brain, that means that 7 is
    > Vista SE. Course with the very bad name Vista brought upon itself, I can
    > understand why the marketing dept. of MS wanted to do away with the name.
    >

    Only and idiot like you would make such a stupid comment as you just made.
    Let me prove my point:
    Try ordering a Vista SE OS.
    Post back with your findings.
    Oops!
     
  18. Frank

    Frank Flightless Bird

    On 5/10/2010 12:03 AM, XS11E wrote:
    > Frank<fb@amk.cmo> wrote:
    >
    >> On 5/9/2010 9:21 PM, XS11E wrote:
    >>> Ken Blake<kblake@this.is.invalid.com> wrote:
    >>>
    >>>> And in fact, Vista drivers sometimes work with Windows 7. But in
    >>>> this case, he tried the Windows Vista drivers and they did *not*
    >>>> work.
    >>>
    >>> So.... why is that?
    >>>

    >> Simple...because Windows 7 is not Vista, nor is it Vista SE. It is
    >> Windows 7.

    >
    > I didn't think anyone would be stupid enough to offer that as an
    > explanation, I didn't count on your limitless idiocy apparently...
    >
    >

    Only and idiot like you would even ask such a stupid question in the
    first place.
     
  19. Ken Blake

    Ken Blake Flightless Bird

    On Sun, 09 May 2010 21:21:19 -0700, XS11E <xs11eNO@SPAMyahoo.com>
    wrote:

    > Ken Blake <kblake@this.is.invalid.com> wrote:
    >
    > > And in fact, Vista drivers sometimes work with Windows 7. But in
    > > this case, he tried the Windows Vista drivers and they did *not*
    > > work.

    >
    > So.... why is that?



    Because they are two different operating systems. In some cases Vista
    drivers work on Windows 7, in other (probably most) cases they don't.

    Ken Blake, Microsoft MVP (Windows Desktop Experience) since 2003
     
  20. XS11E

    XS11E Flightless Bird

    Ken Blake <kblake@this.is.invalid.com> wrote:

    > On Sun, 09 May 2010 21:21:19 -0700, XS11E <xs11eNO@SPAMyahoo.com>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> Ken Blake <kblake@this.is.invalid.com> wrote:
    >>
    >> > And in fact, Vista drivers sometimes work with Windows 7. But in
    >> > this case, he tried the Windows Vista drivers and they did *not*
    >> > work.

    >>
    >> So.... why is that?

    >
    > Because they are two different operating systems. In some cases Vista
    > drivers work on Windows 7, in other (probably most) cases they don't.
    >
    > Ken Blake, Microsoft MVP (Windows Desktop Experience) since 2003


    That's about as sensible an answer as Frank's, I'm really disappointed
    in you.....

    I know they're two different OSs, the question is WHAT SPECIFIC
    DIFFERENCE is preventing the Vista driver from working? I'm hoping
    it'll turn out to be something as simple as 'decorating' a Win32 driver
    to make it work in Win64.



    --
    XS11E, Killing all posts from Google Groups
    The Usenet Improvement Project:
    http://twovoyagers.com/improve-usenet.org/
     

Share This Page