1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Disable all wireless sevices/devices on Win 7

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by machinemessiah, Sep 7, 2010.

  1. machinemessiah

    machinemessiah Flightless Bird

    Nice flame war you have going here.
    My husband has a Dell pc which seems to have a built in wireless card.
    It's not listed separately in the BIOS so I can't disable it there.
    Yesterday he started seeing other computers listed in his Network
    Status. We've figured out they are our neighboors using the free
    wireless access we have on our apt complex.
    Our network is wired and we prefer it that way for secuity reasons.
    Husband is paranoid that the neighboors can see his pc the way he sees
    theirs.
    What can I shut down in Windows 7 to block the wireless?
    I found 2 autoconfig WLAN services that I've shut down. Are there any
    more I need to check?
    Disabling the wireless card in the device manager is useless as Windows
    simply re-installs it during the next boot.
    I'd like NOT to have to install another network card w/o wireless on
    this nearly new computer to solve this issure.
    Can anyone recommend a good web forum for Windows 7 issues? This
    newsgroup seems to have been over run by trolls.
    TIA.
     
  2. Gene E. Bloch

    Gene E. Bloch Flightless Bird

    On Tue, 7 Sep 2010 19:49:41 -0400, machinemessiah wrote:

    > Nice flame war you have going here.


    Huh?

    > My husband has a Dell pc which seems to have a built in wireless card.
    > It's not listed separately in the BIOS so I can't disable it there.
    > Yesterday he started seeing other computers listed in his Network
    > Status. We've figured out they are our neighboors using the free
    > wireless access we have on our apt complex.
    > Our network is wired and we prefer it that way for secuity reasons.
    > Husband is paranoid that the neighboors can see his pc the way he sees
    > theirs.
    > What can I shut down in Windows 7 to block the wireless?
    > I found 2 autoconfig WLAN services that I've shut down. Are there any
    > more I need to check?
    > Disabling the wireless card in the device manager is useless as Windows
    > simply re-installs it during the next boot.
    > I'd like NOT to have to install another network card w/o wireless on
    > this nearly new computer to solve this issure.
    > Can anyone recommend a good web forum for Windows 7 issues? This
    > newsgroup seems to have been over run by trolls.
    > TIA.


    Set up the wireless security in your router. Don't use WEP, use at least
    WPA, but WPA2 is better if you have it.

    --
    Gene E. Bloch (Stumbling Bloch)
     
  3. Roy Smith

    Roy Smith Flightless Bird

    On 9/7/2010 6:49 PM, machinemessiah wrote:
    > Nice flame war you have going here.
    > My husband has a Dell pc which seems to have a built in wireless card.
    > It's not listed separately in the BIOS so I can't disable it there.
    > Yesterday he started seeing other computers listed in his Network
    > Status. We've figured out they are our neighboors using the free
    > wireless access we have on our apt complex.
    > Our network is wired and we prefer it that way for secuity reasons.
    > Husband is paranoid that the neighboors can see his pc the way he sees
    > theirs.
    > What can I shut down in Windows 7 to block the wireless?
    > I found 2 autoconfig WLAN services that I've shut down. Are there any
    > more I need to check?
    > Disabling the wireless card in the device manager is useless as Windows
    > simply re-installs it during the next boot.
    > I'd like NOT to have to install another network card w/o wireless on
    > this nearly new computer to solve this issure.
    > Can anyone recommend a good web forum for Windows 7 issues? This
    > newsgroup seems to have been over run by trolls.
    > TIA.


    Is this a laptop or a desktop PC? The reason I ask is that most laptops
    have a keyboard combination to turn off the wireless networking card.
    If it's a desktop, then there is a possibility of having a program
    installed on the pc that manages wireless connections, and to be able to
    turn off the card.

    If this results in a fruitless search of the PC there is an alternative.
    You can use Wireless Auto Switch which when installed automatically
    disables any wireless card when it detects a wired connection. You can
    get it here:

    http://www.wirelessautoswitch.com/

    The program is not free, but then it doesn't cost much either. It's
    only $4.95 for the Vista version which works on WIn7, and $7.95 for one
    that works on XP, Vista or WIn7.

    As for the trolls here on this newsgroup, just use a newsreader with a
    good Kill filter... :)


    --

    Roy Smith
    Windows 7 Professional
    Thunderbird 3.1.3
    Tuesday, September 07, 2010 7:53:56 PM
     
  4. Gene E. Bloch

    Gene E. Bloch Flightless Bird

    On Tue, 7 Sep 2010 17:53:29 -0700, Gene E. Bloch wrote:

    > On Tue, 7 Sep 2010 19:49:41 -0400, machinemessiah wrote:
    >
    >> Nice flame war you have going here.

    >
    > Huh?
    >
    >> My husband has a Dell pc which seems to have a built in wireless card.
    >> It's not listed separately in the BIOS so I can't disable it there.
    >> Yesterday he started seeing other computers listed in his Network
    >> Status. We've figured out they are our neighboors using the free
    >> wireless access we have on our apt complex.
    >> Our network is wired and we prefer it that way for secuity reasons.
    >> Husband is paranoid that the neighboors can see his pc the way he sees
    >> theirs.
    >> What can I shut down in Windows 7 to block the wireless?
    >> I found 2 autoconfig WLAN services that I've shut down. Are there any
    >> more I need to check?
    >> Disabling the wireless card in the device manager is useless as Windows
    >> simply re-installs it during the next boot.
    >> I'd like NOT to have to install another network card w/o wireless on
    >> this nearly new computer to solve this issure.
    >> Can anyone recommend a good web forum for Windows 7 issues? This
    >> newsgroup seems to have been over run by trolls.
    >> TIA.

    >
    > Set up the wireless security in your router. Don't use WEP, use at least
    > WPA, but WPA2 is better if you have it.


    I forgot: turn off SSID Broadcast.

    --
    Gene E. Bloch (Stumbling Bloch)
     
  5. Char Jackson

    Char Jackson Flightless Bird

    On Tue, 7 Sep 2010 19:49:41 -0400, machinemessiah <cookie@aymarat.net>
    wrote:

    >Nice flame war you have going here.
    >My husband has a Dell pc which seems to have a built in wireless card.
    >It's not listed separately in the BIOS so I can't disable it there.
    >Yesterday he started seeing other computers listed in his Network
    >Status. We've figured out they are our neighboors using the free
    >wireless access we have on our apt complex.


    I'm not going to ask how you figured that out.

    >Our network is wired and we prefer it that way for secuity reasons.


    Excellent choice.

    >Husband is paranoid that the neighboors can see his pc the way he sees
    >theirs.
    >What can I shut down in Windows 7 to block the wireless?


    Disable the wireless card or it's ability to make or accept
    connections. You can disable it in Device Manager, or you can disable
    its ability to make or accept connections in Control Panel, Network
    Connections.

    >I found 2 autoconfig WLAN services that I've shut down. Are there any
    >more I need to check?


    Not sure what you found or where you found it.

    >Disabling the wireless card in the device manager is useless as Windows
    >simply re-installs it during the next boot.


    It sounds like you're selecting the Uninstall option rather than the
    Disable option. With Disable, nothing gets uninstalled and therefore
    there's nothing to reinstall.

    >I'd like NOT to have to install another network card w/o wireless on
    >this nearly new computer to solve this issure.


    That wouldn't work anyway. You'd simply have another network card in
    addition to the one you have now.

    >Can anyone recommend a good web forum for Windows 7 issues? This
    >newsgroup seems to have been over run by trolls.


    Ignore them.
     
  6. Char Jackson

    Char Jackson Flightless Bird

    On Tue, 7 Sep 2010 17:54:38 -0700, "Gene E. Bloch"
    <not-me@other.invalid> wrote:

    >On Tue, 7 Sep 2010 17:53:29 -0700, Gene E. Bloch wrote:
    >
    >>> My husband has a Dell pc which seems to have a built in wireless card.
    >>> It's not listed separately in the BIOS so I can't disable it there.
    >>> Yesterday he started seeing other computers listed in his Network
    >>> Status. We've figured out they are our neighboors using the free
    >>> wireless access we have on our apt complex.
    >>> Our network is wired and we prefer it that way for secuity reasons.
    >>> Husband is paranoid that the neighboors can see his pc the way he sees
    >>> theirs.
    >>> What can I shut down in Windows 7 to block the wireless?
    >>> I found 2 autoconfig WLAN services that I've shut down. Are there any
    >>> more I need to check?
    >>> Disabling the wireless card in the device manager is useless as Windows
    >>> simply re-installs it during the next boot.
    >>> I'd like NOT to have to install another network card w/o wireless on
    >>> this nearly new computer to solve this issure.
    >>> Can anyone recommend a good web forum for Windows 7 issues? This
    >>> newsgroup seems to have been over run by trolls.
    >>> TIA.

    >>
    >> Set up the wireless security in your router. Don't use WEP, use at least
    >> WPA, but WPA2 is better if you have it.

    >
    >I forgot: turn off SSID Broadcast.


    Pssst :) They use a wired network, not wireless. They want to
    disable wireless capabilities, rather than make them secure.

    As for turning off SSID, please don't do that. It doesn't increase
    security, (anyone who wants to see your SSID can still easily see it),
    and it only makes it more likely that someone else will think the
    channels is clear and end up causing interference.
     
  7. Gene E. Bloch

    Gene E. Bloch Flightless Bird

    On Tue, 07 Sep 2010 20:24:27 -0500, Char Jackson wrote:

    > On Tue, 7 Sep 2010 17:54:38 -0700, "Gene E. Bloch"
    > <not-me@other.invalid> wrote:
    >
    >>On Tue, 7 Sep 2010 17:53:29 -0700, Gene E. Bloch wrote:
    >>
    >>>> My husband has a Dell pc which seems to have a built in wireless card.
    >>>> It's not listed separately in the BIOS so I can't disable it there.
    >>>> Yesterday he started seeing other computers listed in his Network
    >>>> Status. We've figured out they are our neighboors using the free
    >>>> wireless access we have on our apt complex.
    >>>> Our network is wired and we prefer it that way for secuity reasons.
    >>>> Husband is paranoid that the neighboors can see his pc the way he sees
    >>>> theirs.
    >>>> What can I shut down in Windows 7 to block the wireless?
    >>>> I found 2 autoconfig WLAN services that I've shut down. Are there any
    >>>> more I need to check?
    >>>> Disabling the wireless card in the device manager is useless as Windows
    >>>> simply re-installs it during the next boot.
    >>>> I'd like NOT to have to install another network card w/o wireless on
    >>>> this nearly new computer to solve this issure.
    >>>> Can anyone recommend a good web forum for Windows 7 issues? This
    >>>> newsgroup seems to have been over run by trolls.
    >>>> TIA.
    >>>
    >>> Set up the wireless security in your router. Don't use WEP, use at least
    >>> WPA, but WPA2 is better if you have it.

    >>
    >>I forgot: turn off SSID Broadcast.

    >
    > Pssst :) They use a wired network, not wireless. They want to
    > disable wireless capabilities, rather than make them secure.


    I guess they (or I?) confused me. I thought that they must be connected
    by wireless in order to see the other routers, and like me, was using
    wired connections internally.

    > As for turning off SSID, please don't do that. It doesn't increase
    > security, (anyone who wants to see your SSID can still easily see it),
    > and it only makes it more likely that someone else will think the
    > channels is clear and end up causing interference.


    Not *my* neighbors :)

    I see no signs of interference, and I don't want to make it easier for
    the uninformed. The others I can't control anyway.

    I do occasionally see networks with no SSID, or at least no name, IIRC.
    I'll have to look but I just ran out of time - got a 10 o'clock coming
    up right now....

    --
    Gene E. Bloch (Stumbling Bloch)
     
  8. Char Jackson

    Char Jackson Flightless Bird

    On Tue, 7 Sep 2010 21:55:56 -0700, "Gene E. Bloch"
    <not-me@other.invalid> wrote:

    >On Tue, 07 Sep 2010 20:24:27 -0500, Char Jackson wrote:
    >
    >> On Tue, 7 Sep 2010 17:54:38 -0700, "Gene E. Bloch"
    >> <not-me@other.invalid> wrote:
    >>
    >>>On Tue, 7 Sep 2010 17:53:29 -0700, Gene E. Bloch wrote:
    >>>
    >>>>> My husband has a Dell pc which seems to have a built in wireless card.
    >>>>> It's not listed separately in the BIOS so I can't disable it there.
    >>>>> Yesterday he started seeing other computers listed in his Network
    >>>>> Status. We've figured out they are our neighboors using the free
    >>>>> wireless access we have on our apt complex.
    >>>>> Our network is wired and we prefer it that way for secuity reasons.
    >>>>> Husband is paranoid that the neighboors can see his pc the way he sees
    >>>>> theirs.
    >>>>> What can I shut down in Windows 7 to block the wireless?
    >>>>> I found 2 autoconfig WLAN services that I've shut down. Are there any
    >>>>> more I need to check?
    >>>>> Disabling the wireless card in the device manager is useless as Windows
    >>>>> simply re-installs it during the next boot.
    >>>>> I'd like NOT to have to install another network card w/o wireless on
    >>>>> this nearly new computer to solve this issure.
    >>>>> Can anyone recommend a good web forum for Windows 7 issues? This
    >>>>> newsgroup seems to have been over run by trolls.
    >>>>> TIA.
    >>>>
    >>>> Set up the wireless security in your router. Don't use WEP, use at least
    >>>> WPA, but WPA2 is better if you have it.
    >>>
    >>>I forgot: turn off SSID Broadcast.

    >>
    >> Pssst :) They use a wired network, not wireless. They want to
    >> disable wireless capabilities, rather than make them secure.

    >
    >I guess they (or I?) confused me. I thought that they must be connected
    >by wireless in order to see the other routers, and like me, was using
    >wired connections internally.


    It's equally likely that they confused me, as well. I read it as they
    had clicked the button to do a wireless survey, saw some AP's nearby,
    and freaked out. No reason to freak, of course, but people do what
    they do.

    Back in about 1985, my wife's uncle had a personal computer to which
    he very loudly said he would never attach a dial-up modem. When I
    asked why, he said he didn't want people dialing up his computer in
    the middle of the night and snooping through his stuff. There's just
    so much wrong with that, but people believe what they believe. :)

    >> As for turning off SSID, please don't do that. It doesn't increase
    >> security, (anyone who wants to see your SSID can still easily see it),
    >> and it only makes it more likely that someone else will think the
    >> channels is clear and end up causing interference.

    >
    >Not *my* neighbors :)
    >
    >I see no signs of interference, and I don't want to make it easier for
    >the uninformed. The others I can't control anyway.
    >
    >I do occasionally see networks with no SSID, or at least no name, IIRC.
    >I'll have to look but I just ran out of time - got a 10 o'clock coming
    >up right now....


    SSID hiding, like MAC filtering, is one of those things that sounded
    good for a minute when you first hear about it, until you realize that
    both offer nearly zero additional protection. (Nearly zero? I should
    just say zero.)

    I hope your 10 o'clock went well. I picture you as a Dentist. :)
     
  9. Gene E. Bloch

    Gene E. Bloch Flightless Bird

    On Wed, 08 Sep 2010 08:57:54 -0500, Char Jackson wrote:

    > On Tue, 7 Sep 2010 21:55:56 -0700, "Gene E. Bloch"
    > <not-me@other.invalid> wrote:
    >
    >>On Tue, 07 Sep 2010 20:24:27 -0500, Char Jackson wrote:
    >>
    >>> On Tue, 7 Sep 2010 17:54:38 -0700, "Gene E. Bloch"
    >>> <not-me@other.invalid> wrote:
    >>>
    >>>>On Tue, 7 Sep 2010 17:53:29 -0700, Gene E. Bloch wrote:
    >>>>
    >>>>>> My husband has a Dell pc which seems to have a built in wireless card.
    >>>>>> It's not listed separately in the BIOS so I can't disable it there.
    >>>>>> Yesterday he started seeing other computers listed in his Network
    >>>>>> Status. We've figured out they are our neighboors using the free
    >>>>>> wireless access we have on our apt complex.
    >>>>>> Our network is wired and we prefer it that way for secuity reasons.
    >>>>>> Husband is paranoid that the neighboors can see his pc the way he sees
    >>>>>> theirs.
    >>>>>> What can I shut down in Windows 7 to block the wireless?
    >>>>>> I found 2 autoconfig WLAN services that I've shut down. Are there any
    >>>>>> more I need to check?
    >>>>>> Disabling the wireless card in the device manager is useless as Windows
    >>>>>> simply re-installs it during the next boot.
    >>>>>> I'd like NOT to have to install another network card w/o wireless on
    >>>>>> this nearly new computer to solve this issure.
    >>>>>> Can anyone recommend a good web forum for Windows 7 issues? This
    >>>>>> newsgroup seems to have been over run by trolls.
    >>>>>> TIA.
    >>>>>
    >>>>> Set up the wireless security in your router. Don't use WEP, use at least
    >>>>> WPA, but WPA2 is better if you have it.
    >>>>
    >>>>I forgot: turn off SSID Broadcast.
    >>>
    >>> Pssst :) They use a wired network, not wireless. They want to
    >>> disable wireless capabilities, rather than make them secure.

    >>
    >>I guess they (or I?) confused me. I thought that they must be connected
    >>by wireless in order to see the other routers, and like me, was using
    >>wired connections internally.

    >
    > It's equally likely that they confused me, as well. I read it as they
    > had clicked the button to do a wireless survey, saw some AP's nearby,
    > and freaked out. No reason to freak, of course, but people do what
    > they do.
    >
    > Back in about 1985, my wife's uncle had a personal computer to which
    > he very loudly said he would never attach a dial-up modem. When I
    > asked why, he said he didn't want people dialing up his computer in
    > the middle of the night and snooping through his stuff. There's just
    > so much wrong with that, but people believe what they believe. :)


    Man, I really got a belly laugh from that one!

    >>> As for turning off SSID, please don't do that. It doesn't increase
    >>> security, (anyone who wants to see your SSID can still easily see it),
    >>> and it only makes it more likely that someone else will think the
    >>> channels is clear and end up causing interference.

    >>
    >>Not *my* neighbors :)
    >>
    >>I see no signs of interference, and I don't want to make it easier for
    >>the uninformed. The others I can't control anyway.
    >>
    >>I do occasionally see networks with no SSID, or at least no name, IIRC.
    >>I'll have to look but I just ran out of time - got a 10 o'clock coming
    >>up right now....

    >
    > SSID hiding, like MAC filtering, is one of those things that sounded
    > good for a minute when you first hear about it, until you realize that
    > both offer nearly zero additional protection. (Nearly zero? I should
    > just say zero.)


    I had a piece of equipment recently that wouldn't let me connect to my
    router without a broadcast SSID. Oh, I remember - it was my cellphone. I
    found a workaround online that requires setting up two connections, or
    something similar, but (a) it was confusing, and (b) I don't use the
    router at home for the cell anyway, I was just experimenting. So, I
    bagged it.

    BTW, I don't really disagree with you, but this is a quiet neighborhood
    without many wardrivers (that 'fact' is pure guesswork on my part), so I
    take these small steps.

    > I hope your 10 o'clock went well. I picture you as a Dentist. :)


    Actually, we watch the 10 O'clock news pretty religiously. It forces us
    to turn off the computers before 10, so there's at least one good side
    to the habit :)

    I was thinking more 'psychiatrist', but the idea of 'dentist' is also
    something I can sink my teeth into.

    --
    Gene E. Bloch (Stumbling Bloch)
     
  10. Char Jackson

    Char Jackson Flightless Bird

    On Wed, 8 Sep 2010 13:23:52 -0700, "Gene E. Bloch"
    <not-me@other.invalid> wrote:

    >On Wed, 08 Sep 2010 08:57:54 -0500, Char Jackson wrote:
    >
    >> I hope your 10 o'clock went well. I picture you as a Dentist. :)

    >
    >Actually, we watch the 10 O'clock news pretty religiously. It forces us
    >to turn off the computers before 10, so there's at least one good side
    >to the habit :)
    >
    >I was thinking more 'psychiatrist', but the idea of 'dentist' is also
    >something I can sink my teeth into.


    Oops, I only took a quick glance at the timestamp and read it as AM,
    not PM. That's why I put you in the (dental) office rather than your
    home. :)
     
  11. kienbg.123

    kienbg.123 Flightless Bird

    Likes Received:
    0
    sell ccv good and fresh !!!!

    RE: Sell cvv good, live and fresh
    Nov 30 2009, 12:17 AM EST | Post edited: Nov 30 2009, 12:17 AM EST
    Sell cvv2 good& cheap....!!!

    yahoo : sell.good_vn

    Hello, I'm a sellers, I have any friend hacker

    my cvv are the best for you

    Ccv US is $ 2 per ccv (Visa)
    Ccv US is $ 2 per ccv (master)
    Ccv US is $ 3 per ccv (Amex + Discover)
    Ccv UK is $ 5 per ccv (Visa + Master)
    Ccv UK is $ 7 per ccv (Amex + swith)
    Ccv Ca is $ 10 per ccv (Visa+ Master)
    Ccv Ca is $ 15 per ccv (Visa Business + Visa Gold)
    Ccv EU is $ 20 per ccv (Visa + Master)
    Ccv EU is $ 20 per ccv (Amex + Discover)
    Ccv Au is $ 10 per ccv
    Ccv Italy is 20 $ per ccv
    Ccv Germany is 20$ Per Ccv
    Ccv DOB with US is 13 $ per ccv
    Ccv DOB with UK is 14 $ per ccv
    Ccv DOB + BIN with UK 20$ per ccv
    Ccv US full info is 20 $ per ccv
    Ccv UK full info is 30 $ per ccv
    Paypal with pass email = 18.5$/paypal
    Paypal don't have pass email = 8.5$/Paypal
    I can check balance in cvv,balance will be as you like and price agreements
    if u buy over 50, I will sell for you good cheap, good price


    I only accept payment with LibertyReserve
    i will discount my price for u if u are reseller buy everyday or u buy many
    all my cvv will be tested before sell, that's sure.

    Please contact me: sell.good_vn******.com
    on yahoomesenger: sell.good_vn

    contactme note: don't ask me for test
    i'm looking for who can work together
    Thank you very much !
    Best regard

    I will always update this article
    those who do not buy cvv please do not spam
    master.1 is offline Reply With Quote
     
  12. Bob I

    Bob I Flightless Bird

    Call Dell tech support and ask.

    On 9/7/2010 6:49 PM, machinemessiah wrote:
    > Nice flame war you have going here.
    > My husband has a Dell pc which seems to have a built in wireless card.
    > It's not listed separately in the BIOS so I can't disable it there.
    > Yesterday he started seeing other computers listed in his Network
    > Status. We've figured out they are our neighboors using the free
    > wireless access we have on our apt complex.
    > Our network is wired and we prefer it that way for secuity reasons.
    > Husband is paranoid that the neighboors can see his pc the way he sees
    > theirs.
    > What can I shut down in Windows 7 to block the wireless?
    > I found 2 autoconfig WLAN services that I've shut down. Are there any
    > more I need to check?
    > Disabling the wireless card in the device manager is useless as Windows
    > simply re-installs it during the next boot.
    > I'd like NOT to have to install another network card w/o wireless on
    > this nearly new computer to solve this issure.
    > Can anyone recommend a good web forum for Windows 7 issues? This
    > newsgroup seems to have been over run by trolls.
    > TIA.
     
  13. machinemessiah

    machinemessiah Flightless Bird

    Re: Disable all wireless sevices/devices on Win 7 Thank you

    In article <1aod86tjfja9j9nl7lqve3ldmjsqunrim1@4ax.com>,
    none@none.invalid says...
    > On Tue, 7 Sep 2010 19:49:41 -0400, machinemessiah <cookie@aymarat.net>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >Nice flame war you have going here.
    > >My husband has a Dell pc which seems to have a built in wireless card.
    > >It's not listed separately in the BIOS so I can't disable it there.
    > >Yesterday he started seeing other computers listed in his Network
    > >Status. We've figured out they are our neighboors using the free
    > >wireless access we have on our apt complex.

    >
    > I'm not going to ask how you figured that out.


    Snip
    lol By talking to neighboors and co-workers.
    Seems you can actually browse the contents of some people's entire hard
    drives around here. One neighboor actually demonstated this for me.
    >

    snip
    > >Husband is paranoid that the neighboors can see his pc the way he sees
    > >theirs.
    > >What can I shut down in Windows 7 to block the wireless?

    >
    > Disable the wireless card or it's ability to make or accept
    > connections. You can disable it in Device Manager, or you can disable
    > its ability to make or accept connections in Control Panel, Network
    > Connections.


    Snip
    Snip
    Thanks for that. We'd missed the "adapator settings" on the left.
    Windows was turning the wireless back on every time my husband ran the
    network trouble shooter.
    snip
    > >I found 2 autoconfig WLAN services that I've shut down. Are there any
    > >more I need to check?

    >
    > Not sure what you found or where you found it.

    snip
    Right click/COMPUTER select MANAGE browse through Services list EXTENDED
    DESCRIPTION. I stopped everything that obviously stated it was for
    wireless. I just want to be sure there aren't any I missed.
    snip
    >
    > >Disabling the wireless card in the device manager is useless as Windows
    > >simply re-installs it during the next boot.

    >
    > It sounds like you're selecting the Uninstall option rather than the
    > Disable option. With Disable, nothing gets uninstalled and therefore
    > there's nothing to reinstall.

    snip
    Yeah, he was uninstalling it.
    I told him unless he could remove it from the motherboard or shut it off
    in the bios chipset features, that was pointless.
    snip
    >
    > >I'd like NOT to have to install another network card w/o wireless on
    > >this nearly new computer to solve this issure.

    >
    > That wouldn't work anyway. You'd simply have another network card in
    > addition to the one you have now.
    >

    snip
    Sure it would.
    I'd shut the whole thing down in the BIOS under advanced chipset
    features. Then I'd just install install another card (w/o wireless) in a
    pci slot. I build my own pcs and have replaced many of the onboard
    components (audio, networkcards) on my own machines many times.
    I've got 2 dead floppy drives and 1 dead hard drive that Windows can't
    play with because I've disabled them in the BIOS setting.
    My first choice was to shut it off in the CMOS/BIOs but the wireless
    isn't a separate component.
    snip
    > >Can anyone recommend a good web forum for Windows 7 issues? This
    > >newsgroup seems to have been over run by trolls.

    >
    > Ignore them.
    >

    snip
    >Yeah, my kill file got a pretty good work out when I pulled in all the

    headers for this group.
    Thanks very much.
     
  14. machinemessiah

    machinemessiah Flightless Bird

    Re: Disable all wireless sevices/devices on Win 7 Thanks.

    In article <H8Bho.132544$pX3.17942@en-nntp-11.dc1.easynews.com>,
    rasmith1959@live.com says...
    > On 9/7/2010 6:49 PM, machinemessiah wrote:

    snip
    >
    > Is this a laptop or a desktop PC? The reason I ask is that most laptops
    > have a keyboard combination to turn off the wireless networking card.
    > If it's a desktop, then there is a possibility of having a program
    > installed on the pc that manages wireless connections, and to be able to
    > turn off the card.
    >

    It's a desktop pc. Dell Studio XPS 8100.
    > If this results in a fruitless search of the PC there is an alternative.
    > You can use Wireless Auto Switch which when installed automatically
    > disables any wireless card when it detects a wired connection. You can
    > get it here:
    >
    > http://www.wirelessautoswitch.com/

    Thank you. Will take a look at that.
    > The program is not free, but then it doesn't cost much either. It's
    > only $4.95 for the Vista version which works on WIn7, and $7.95 for one
    > that works on XP, Vista or WIn7.

    snip
    > As for the trolls here on this newsgroup, just use a newsreader with a
    > good Kill filter... :)
    >

    My newsreader calls it "The Bozo Bin". It's gotten a good work out.
    Thanks very much.
     
  15. machinemessiah

    machinemessiah Flightless Bird

    Re: Disable all wireless sevices/devices on Win 7 Thank You Gene.

    In article <15jxw9y1xpid1$.i0xxvdi5t1rm.dlg@40tude.net>, not-
    me@other.invalid says...
    > On Tue, 7 Sep 2010 17:53:29 -0700, Gene E. Bloch wrote:
    >
    > > On Tue, 7 Sep 2010 19:49:41 -0400, machinemessiah wrote:
    > >
    > >> Nice flame war you have going here.

    > >
    > > Huh?

    snip
    > > Set up the wireless security in your router. Don't use WEP, use at least
    > > WPA, but WPA2 is better if you have it.

    >
    > I forgot: turn off SSID Broadcast.
    >
    >

    Thanks for the reply.
    Trouble is, I have no idea what you're on about because I've never used
    a wireless connection in my life.
    All I'd be willing to do on wireless is read the news via google. Maybe
    look at expensive cars on ebay.
    Thanks.
     
  16. johnbee

    johnbee Flightless Bird

    Re: Disable all wireless sevices/devices on Win 7 Thank You Gene.

    "machinemessiah" <cookie@aymarat.net> wrote in message
    news:MPG.26f2006cfeaa5b498968d@news.giganews.com...
    > In article <15jxw9y1xpid1$.i0xxvdi5t1rm.dlg@40tude.net>, not-
    > me@other.invalid says...
    >> On Tue, 7 Sep 2010 17:53:29 -0700, Gene E. Bloch wrote:
    >>
    >> > On Tue, 7 Sep 2010 19:49:41 -0400, machinemessiah wrote:
    >> >
    >> >> Nice flame war you have going here.
    >> >
    >> > Huh?

    > snip
    >> > Set up the wireless security in your router. Don't use WEP, use at
    >> > least
    >> > WPA, but WPA2 is better if you have it.

    >>
    >> I forgot: turn off SSID Broadcast.
    >>
    >>

    > Thanks for the reply.
    > Trouble is, I have no idea what you're on about because I've never used
    > a wireless connection in my life.
    > All I'd be willing to do on wireless is read the news via google. Maybe
    > look at expensive cars on ebay.
    > Thanks.


    If you open help, and type disconnect network or some such, you will get
    instructions on how to disconnect from a network(inc. wireless ones). That
    will mean you can't see any neighbours' PCs. It is actually quite likely
    that they won't be able to see you as well.
     
  17. Gene E. Bloch

    Gene E. Bloch Flightless Bird

    On Wed, 08 Sep 2010 15:49:58 -0500, Char Jackson wrote:

    > On Wed, 8 Sep 2010 13:23:52 -0700, "Gene E. Bloch"
    > <not-me@other.invalid> wrote:
    >
    >>On Wed, 08 Sep 2010 08:57:54 -0500, Char Jackson wrote:
    >>
    >>> I hope your 10 o'clock went well. I picture you as a Dentist. :)

    >>
    >>Actually, we watch the 10 O'clock news pretty religiously. It forces us
    >>to turn off the computers before 10, so there's at least one good side
    >>to the habit :)
    >>
    >>I was thinking more 'psychiatrist', but the idea of 'dentist' is also
    >>something I can sink my teeth into.

    >
    > Oops, I only took a quick glance at the timestamp and read it as AM,
    > not PM. That's why I put you in the (dental) office rather than your
    > home. :)


    That explains everything.

    No, I mean nothing.

    I guess you should set up your timestamp in 24 hour mode (or is it
    mine?).

    I was thinking about my sense of humor last night. I realize that it
    tends towards the abstract or surrealistic, or so I think. E.g, among
    the comics I read are Bizarro and Zippy the Pinhead...

    Not that I always understand them, or even Peanuts, for that matter :)

    --
    Gene E. Bloch (Stumbling Bloch)
     
  18. GlowingBlueMist

    GlowingBlueMist Flightless Bird

    On 9/7/2010 6:49 PM, machinemessiah wrote:
    > Nice flame war you have going here.
    > My husband has a Dell pc which seems to have a built in wireless card.
    > It's not listed separately in the BIOS so I can't disable it there.
    > Yesterday he started seeing other computers listed in his Network
    > Status. We've figured out they are our neighboors using the free
    > wireless access we have on our apt complex.
    > Our network is wired and we prefer it that way for secuity reasons.
    > Husband is paranoid that the neighboors can see his pc the way he sees
    > theirs.
    > What can I shut down in Windows 7 to block the wireless?
    > I found 2 autoconfig WLAN services that I've shut down. Are there any
    > more I need to check?
    > Disabling the wireless card in the device manager is useless as Windows
    > simply re-installs it during the next boot.
    > I'd like NOT to have to install another network card w/o wireless on
    > this nearly new computer to solve this issure.
    > Can anyone recommend a good web forum for Windows 7 issues? This
    > newsgroup seems to have been over run by trolls.
    > TIA.


    What I suspect is happening is that your neighbors are accessing your
    apartment complex's wireless connection by connecting directly to the
    wireless connection of the router, not your PC. You would need to be
    running software not supplied by Windows 7 in order for them to be
    accessing your PC from it's wireless connection while your PC was
    configured to use your wired connection. (Hint, unplug your wired
    connection and verify your internet feed dies.)

    By disabling your PC's wireless ability nothing should change with
    regards to your ability to access your neighbor's hard drives, nor
    theirs to access yours, if they currently can.

    The ability to connect between you and them will still be active as long
    as you are physically connected to the same router in your apartment
    complex, be it a wired or wireless connection. Especially if the
    apartment's router is setup to provide the same IP address range to the
    wired and wireless users.

    One thing you can try as a means of trying to verify things a little is
    to go to your "Network and Sharing Center" in your PC's control panel
    and click on the "See full map" in the upper right corner after the
    computer has running for 10 or 15 minutes. The time is to allow your
    computer to "discover" what is out there at the time. I find the best
    time to try this is around 6 to 8 PM as more PC's are powered on during
    that time frame as people have returned home from work.

    With luck all you will see a diagram with something like your computer,
    a router or gateway, and the internet world. If any other computers
    show up then there is still a problem. As long as your computer can map
    other PC's using your same gateway or switch, they can most likely see
    yours.

    Unless you need to use it between two of your own computers you should
    turn off any file sharing in your computer's control panel.

    The other thing I usually do is to make sure my PC's "Workgroup" or
    "Domain" are not using the default names. Change which ever one your
    computer is using to something different. I know it's not much but
    every little bit helps when it comes to confusing the nosy people.

    Ultimately you may need to invest the time into installing and training
    a third party firewall program to block the neighbors and any others in
    your complex that are accessing the buildings router. There are some
    good freeware ones available as well as the paid versions.
     
  19. GlowingBlueMist

    GlowingBlueMist Flightless Bird

    On 9/9/2010 11:48 PM, GlowingBlueMist wrote:
    <snip> Thought the update might be of use.

    > With luck all you will see a diagram with something like your computer,
    > a router or gateway, and the internet world. If any other computers show
    > up then there is still a problem. As long as your computer can map other
    > PC's using your same gateway or switch, they can most likely see yours.


    If you see something like "The following discovered device(s) can not be
    placed in the map. Click here to see all other devices." then go ahead
    and click on it. You may see more of your "neighbor's" PC's show up at
    that time but hopefully not.
    >
    > Unless you need to use it between two of your own computers you should
    > turn off any file sharing in your computer's control panel.
    >
    > The other thing I usually do is to make sure my PC's "Workgroup" or
    > "Domain" are not using the default names. Change which ever one your
    > computer is using to something different. I know it's not much but every
    > little bit helps when it comes to confusing the nosy people.


    What I meant to say to change the Workgroup or System 7's Homegroup.
    Setting up a Homegroup along with it's password will still allow your
    computer to share with your other computer's, if you have any, while
    still excluding others from accessing them.
     

Share This Page