• Welcome to Tux Reports: Where Penguins Fly. We hope you find the topics varied, interesting, and worthy of your time. Please become a member and join in the discussions.

CNN Still Loosing Viewers

Robert Heiny

Research Scientist of Learning and Education
Flight Instructor
CNN was still loosing domestic TV viewers in April, 2012, according to an unnamed broadcast monthly ratings report. Pierce Morgan was reported to have had the least loss. I heard this reported on the radio this morning. Is that report accurate?

LPH

Flight Director
Flight Instructor
This looks like a March 29 NY Times story:

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/03/30/business/media/30cnn.html

CNN executives have steadfastly said that they will not change their approach to prime-time programs, which are led by hosts not aligned with any partisan point of view.

Well -that's nonsense. CNN is just becoming another entertainment series, hosts using presuppositional arguments during interviews, and hosts chit-chatting with each other, giggling, and being an annoyance. As soon as they started using tweets then it became obvious that they were not broadcasting news.

Robert Heiny

Flight Instructor
Ted Turner said last night in an interview on the Pierce Morgan program that he intended CNN to offer 24 hours of news, sports, entertainment/life style (my term) coverage world wide. He also distinguished international from domestic coverage of these topics. He said it looks to him that they are continuing the original commitment, but does see a difference between the international and domestic quality of coverage. Tee hee!

LPH

Flight Director
Flight Instructor
Quality is the hedge or qualifier he placed on his statement. The word can be interpretted many ways because each individual sets their own definition. Some might argue bantering and chit chat is entertaining while others suggest hosts talking to each other is the lowest form of entertainment. Personally the hosts come across as stupid.

Robert Heiny

Flight Instructor
I've watched more than my share of TV program hosts, but have not met one. I've tried to imagine being one and once was invited to host a 30 minute TV program as part of a university's community outreach effort.

The taks of a TV host reminds me of preparing every day for 60 minutes of performing in a musical recital and saying something like Longfellow's poem Paul Revere's Ride from memory in front of Mrs. Chaney's fifth grade class (each of the 35 plus of us in the class did so one at a time). Plus, interacting live with one or more guests who may drift off of the script or topic. And, having to listen to and figure out what to say when someone keeps talking to you through your ear piece. All of that and handling the politics of the job, preparing for the next week of programs, reading Tweets from listeners, etc.

It's a daunting task. Hosts expose themselves to criticisms and other risks that exceed even their own most severe evaluations, including public rejection and embarrassment.

I tip my cap to those who do it whether once or day after day for decades. You got sand, Hosts! I appreciate your effort and look forward to learning something from you. As Chris Matthews says, "Tell me something I don't know."

LPH

Flight Director
Flight Instructor
Do you think they banter with each other as part of a plan or to just fill dead air because they have nothing to tell us we don't already know?