• Welcome to Tux Reports: Where Penguins Fly. We hope you find the topics varied, interesting, and worthy of your time. Please become a member and join in the discussions.

Claco: The New Learning Network

LPH

Flight Director
Flight Instructor
Eric Simons became famous a few months ago for squatting in the AOL buildings while putting together his new business which was called ClassConnect. Today, Mr. Simons launched the renamed service, Claco, and teachers are able to request invites.

A quick look around suggest the site is heavy in graphics but still loads quickly. There are places for featured teachers, chat areas, sharing and storing of resources.
ActivInspire / Smartboards

Will the site allow uploads of ActivInspire Flipcharts and can they be viewed online? Actually, uploading any smartboard chart should be added as a feature.
Moodle

Many teachers have moodle sites. Will there be a way to import those documents easily? Why should the teacher abandon all of that hard work?

Next, I worry about the term "collaboration" because is this just going to be teachers putting up documents and others taking them without attribution? In other words, is this just a one-way collaboration?

I wish the site well. Hopefully teachers will ask for their invitations, and start using the service.
View on the Blog

Robert Heiny

Research Scientist of Learning and Education
Flight Instructor
Another Edupreneur takes a risk! Best wishes, Erik. And, please let us know how teachers are using your site.

Robert Heiny

Flight Instructor
I wonder if the word edupreneur is an oxymoron for anyone else? From a learners' view (ALV), learning is at the core of education. People learn in the same way. So, what's an entrepreneur to add to learning besides infringing on the traditional role of teachers to make learning more efficient. Wouldn't that make the interloper into education an instrupreneur for an innovatively efficient teacher?

LPH

Flight Director
Flight Instructor
People learn in the same way.

This is why I love your work because it distills down to this simple idea. Sadly, it goes completely against the "in vogue" learning styles nonsense which has taken over education courses.

Now, to your question about an entrepreneur attempting to assemble teachers into a single site, the business is not led by an educationist (educationalist). Maybe that is why the word is an oxymoron.

Robert Heiny

Flight Instructor
People learn in the same way is a good reminder for a T-Shirt Wisdom (TM) (TSW) comment to add to those I've started adding to the bottom of pages on educlassics. Thanks for the reminder!