1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Boot Ini Problem

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by AIANDAS, Jan 18, 2010.

  1. AIANDAS

    AIANDAS Flightless Bird

    Hi,
    I am getting the following error message:
    Invalid Boot Ini Booting from C:/Windows
    So I research this problem and create a new Boot Ini file and when I reboot
    I still get this error.
    I have not attempted yet to do a repair using my XP media, is this what I
    need to do to fix this problem? Or is there a less painful way to fix this?
    Thank you.
     
  2. Rich Barry

    Rich Barry Flightless Bird

    Maybe this will help. You will be interested mainly in the Bootcfg
    command.
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314058



    "AIANDAS" <AIANDAS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    news:9E04022F-4DC2-4AF0-B052-68C32DBB4AC8@microsoft.com...
    > Hi,
    > I am getting the following error message:
    > Invalid Boot Ini Booting from C:/Windows
    > So I research this problem and create a new Boot Ini file and when I
    > reboot
    > I still get this error.
    > I have not attempted yet to do a repair using my XP media, is this what I
    > need to do to fix this problem? Or is there a less painful way to fix
    > this?
    > Thank you.
     
  3. John Hacker

    John Hacker Flightless Bird

    You need to tell us how your boot.ini looks like, For example, my boot.ini
    is as follows:

    [boot loader]
    timeout=30
    default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP
    Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

    hth

    "AIANDAS" <AIANDAS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    news:9E04022F-4DC2-4AF0-B052-68C32DBB4AC8@microsoft.com...
    > Hi,
    > I am getting the following error message:
    > Invalid Boot Ini Booting from C:/Windows
    > So I research this problem and create a new Boot Ini file and when I
    > reboot
    > I still get this error.
    > I have not attempted yet to do a repair using my XP media, is this what I
    > need to do to fix this problem? Or is there a less painful way to fix
    > this?
    > Thank you.
     
  4. AIANDAS

    AIANDAS Flightless Bird

    [boot loader]
    timeout=30
    default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP
    Professional" /fastdetect
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP
    Professional Safe" /fastdetect

    Please see above. Thank you.

    "John Hacker" wrote:

    > You need to tell us how your boot.ini looks like, For example, my boot.ini
    > is as follows:
    >
    > [boot loader]
    > timeout=30
    > default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
    > [operating systems]
    > multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP
    > Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect
    >
    > hth
    >
    > "AIANDAS" <AIANDAS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > news:9E04022F-4DC2-4AF0-B052-68C32DBB4AC8@microsoft.com...
    > > Hi,
    > > I am getting the following error message:
    > > Invalid Boot Ini Booting from C:/Windows
    > > So I research this problem and create a new Boot Ini file and when I
    > > reboot
    > > I still get this error.
    > > I have not attempted yet to do a repair using my XP media, is this what I
    > > need to do to fix this problem? Or is there a less painful way to fix
    > > this?
    > > Thank you.

    >
    >
    > .
    >
     
  5. dadiOH

    dadiOH Flightless Bird

    AIANDAS wrote:
    > Hi,
    > I am getting the following error message:
    > Invalid Boot Ini Booting from C:/Windows
    > So I research this problem and create a new Boot Ini file and when I
    > reboot I still get this error.
    > I have not attempted yet to do a repair using my XP media, is this
    > what I need to do to fix this problem? Or is there a less painful way
    > to fix this? Thank you.


    If you get booted, try...

    Run
    msconfig
    BOOT.INI tab
    Check All Boot Paths

    --

    dadiOH
    ____________________________

    dadiOH's dandies v3.06...
    ....a help file of info about MP3s, recording from
    LP/cassette and tips & tricks on this and that.
    Get it at http://mysite.verizon.net/xico
     
  6. Jose

    Jose Flightless Bird

    On Jan 19, 6:49 am, AIANDAS <AIAN...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
    > [boot loader]
    > timeout=30
    > default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
    > [operating systems]
    > multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP
    > Professional" /fastdetect
    > multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP
    > Professional Safe" /fastdetect
    >
    > Please see above. Thank you.
    >
    >
    >
    > "John Hacker" wrote:
    > > You need to tell us how your boot.ini looks like,  For example, my boot.ini
    > > is as follows:

    >
    > > [boot loader]
    > > timeout=30
    > > default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
    > > [operating systems]
    > > multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP
    > > Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

    >
    > > hth

    >
    > > "AIANDAS" <AIAN...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >news:9E04022F-4DC2-4AF0-B052-68C32DBB4AC8@microsoft.com...
    > > > Hi,
    > > > I am getting the following error message:
    > > > Invalid Boot Ini Booting from C:/Windows
    > > > So I research this problem and create a new Boot Ini file and when I
    > > > reboot
    > > > I still get this error.
    > > > I have not attempted yet to do a repair using my XP media, is this what I
    > > > need to do to fix this problem? Or is there a less painful way to fix
    > > > this?
    > > > Thank you.

    >
    > > .


    It sounds like you have no boot.ini file in c:/

    XP does not require a boot.ini file to boot the default configuration,
    but if c:/boot.ini is missing, you will see that message.

    The boot.ini contents you listed also has some extras. It appears to
    have been tampered with or rebuilt and that Safe thing makes no
    sense. The c:/boot.ini file should look something like this (beware
    of line wraps):

    [boot loader]
    timeout=30
    default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP
    Professional" /fastdetect

    So it looks like your c:/boot.ini is missing and the one you have has
    an extra line in it. It should not be in the c:/windows folder or
    where ever you found/put it.

    If the boot.ini file is missing from c:/, you will have no BOOT.INI
    tab in msconfig.

    Here is how to use the bootcfg command, but I would just edit it by
    hand and put in c:/

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/291980

    If you have the Recovery Console installed (if you have a c:/cmdcons
    folder) it should look differently, so let us know if you have that
    folder.
     
  7. Daave

    Daave Flightless Bird

    Jose wrote:
    > On Jan 19, 6:49 am, AIANDAS <AIAN...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
    >> [boot loader]
    >> timeout=30
    >> default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
    >> [operating systems]
    >> multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP
    >> Professional" /fastdetect
    >> multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP
    >> Professional Safe" /fastdetect
    >>
    >> Please see above. Thank you.


    > It sounds like you have no boot.ini file in c:/
    >
    > XP does not require a boot.ini file to boot the default configuration,
    > but if c:/boot.ini is missing, you will see that message.
    >
    > The boot.ini contents you listed also has some extras. It appears to
    > have been tampered with or rebuilt and that Safe thing makes no
    > sense.


    Perhaps OP was attempting to add the Safe Mode startup option to the
    boot menu:

    http://www.theeldergeek.com/add_safe_mode_to_boot_menu.htm
     
  8. Jose

    Jose Flightless Bird

    On Jan 19, 10:40 am, "Daave" <da...@example.com> wrote:
    > Jose wrote:
    > > On Jan 19, 6:49 am, AIANDAS <AIAN...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
    > >> [boot loader]
    > >> timeout=30
    > >> default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
    > >> [operating systems]
    > >> multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP
    > >> Professional" /fastdetect
    > >> multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP
    > >> Professional Safe" /fastdetect

    >
    > >> Please see above. Thank you.

    > > It sounds like you have no boot.ini file in c:/

    >
    > > XP does not require a boot.ini file to boot the default configuration,
    > > but if c:/boot.ini is missing, you will see that message.

    >
    > > The boot.ini contents you listed also has some extras.  It appears to
    > > have been tampered with or rebuilt and that Safe thing makes no
    > > sense.

    >
    > Perhaps OP was attempting to add the Safe Mode startup option to the
    > boot menu:
    >
    > http://www.theeldergeek.com/add_safe_mode_to_boot_menu.htm


    Yeah - I thought about that too - maybe they didn't finish reading TEG
    info or something and adding that line to the boot.ini does not make
    sense if you are also going to add the /SAFEBOOT option in msconfig.

    Adding /SAFEBOOT in msconfig can also prevent the system from every
    booting in any mode if it is afflicted in a certain way, then you DO
    need to rename/delete the boot.ini, and fix thing even more! It used
    to be an okay idea, but nowadays it is not such a good idea.
    Malicious software has gotten a little smarter.

    I just want to get a good boot.ini, then find out what prompted
    tampering with it in the first place and resolve the the real issue.
     
  9. Daave

    Daave Flightless Bird

    Jose wrote:
    > On Jan 19, 10:40 am, "Daave" <da...@example.com> wrote:
    >> Jose wrote:
    >>> On Jan 19, 6:49 am, AIANDAS <AIAN...@discussions.microsoft.com>
    >>> wrote:
    >>>> [boot loader]
    >>>> timeout=30
    >>>> default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
    >>>> [operating systems]
    >>>> multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP
    >>>> Professional" /fastdetect
    >>>> multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP
    >>>> Professional Safe" /fastdetect

    >>
    >>>> Please see above. Thank you.
    >>> It sounds like you have no boot.ini file in c:/

    >>
    >>> XP does not require a boot.ini file to boot the default
    >>> configuration, but if c:/boot.ini is missing, you will see that
    >>> message.

    >>
    >>> The boot.ini contents you listed also has some extras. It appears to
    >>> have been tampered with or rebuilt and that Safe thing makes no
    >>> sense.

    >>
    >> Perhaps OP was attempting to add the Safe Mode startup option to the
    >> boot menu:
    >>
    >> http://www.theeldergeek.com/add_safe_mode_to_boot_menu.htm

    >
    > Yeah - I thought about that too - maybe they didn't finish reading TEG
    > info or something and adding that line to the boot.ini does not make
    > sense if you are also going to add the /SAFEBOOT option in msconfig.
    >
    > Adding /SAFEBOOT in msconfig can also prevent the system from every
    > booting in any mode if it is afflicted in a certain way, then you DO
    > need to rename/delete the boot.ini, and fix thing even more! It used
    > to be an okay idea, but nowadays it is not such a good idea.
    > Malicious software has gotten a little smarter.
    >
    > I just want to get a good boot.ini, then find out what prompted
    > tampering with it in the first place and resolve the the real issue.


    That's a good plan.
     

Share This Page