1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blue Screen- Dont know what to do!

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by djskillz06, Jun 26, 2010.

  1. djskillz06

    djskillz06 Flightless Bird

    Hello Everyone,

    I am running windows 7 and I have been on windows 7 for at least 2 months. However, I am getting a blue screen error and do not know what to do. Please provide some input to a solution. Thank you


    Problem signature:
    Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
    OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.1
    Locale ID: 1033

    Additional information about the problem:
    BCCode: 50
    BCP1: FFFFFA90063598D0
    BCP2: 0000000000000000
    BCP3: FFFFF88004F667B7
    BCP4: 0000000000000005
    OS Version: 6_1_7600
    Service Pack: 0_0
    Product: 256_1

    Files that help describe the problem:
    C:/Windows\Minidump\062610-33181-01.dmp
    C:/Users\JT\AppData\Local\Temp\WER-53757-0.sysdata.xml

    Read our privacy statement online:
    Windows 7 Privacy Statement - Microsoft Windows

    If the online privacy statement is not available, please read our privacy statement offline:
    C:/Windows\system32\en-US\erofflps.txt


    -----------------------------------------------------------
    I downloaded blue screen view and came up with this below I do not know what all this problematic stuff means from bluescreenview.


    062610-33181-01.dmp 6/26/2010 10:58:39 AM PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA 0x00000050 fffffa90`063598d0 00000000`00000000 fffff880`04f667b7 00000000`00000005 nvlddmkm.sys nvlddmkm.sys+13b970 x64 C:/Windows\Minidump\062610-33181-01.dmp 2 15 7600
    062610-37299-01.dmp 6/26/2010 10:45:01 AM 0x00000124 00000000`00000000 fffffa80`050c7038 00000000`b2000040 00000000`00000800 hal.dll hal.dll+12903 x64 C:/Windows\Minidump\062610-37299-01.dmp 2 15 7600



    BELOW WAS HIGHLIGHTED IN PINK


    ntoskrnl.exe ntoskrnl.exe+ef801 fffff800`02a4c000 fffff800`03028000 0x005dc000 0x4b88cfeb 2/27/2010 3:55:23 AM Microsoft® Windows® Operating System NT Kernel & System 6.1.7600.16539 (win7_gdr.100226-1909) Microsoft Corporation C:/Windows\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
    nvlddmkm.sys nvlddmkm.sys+13b970 fffff880`04ac2000 fffff880`055e5180 0x00b23180 0x4ac791b5 10/3/2009 2:02:29 PM
     
  2. William Baldwin

    William Baldwin Flightless Bird

    undisclosed wrote in news:34470b518f4a5be94ccdb86e5075f921@nntp-
    gateway.com:

    > nvlddmkm.sys nvlddmkm.sys+13b970 fffff880`04ac2000

    fffff880`055e5180 0x00b23180 0x4ac791b5 10/3/2009
    > 2:02:29 PM


    I'd suggest upgrading the driver for your video card.

    http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us
     
  3. Paul

    Paul Flightless Bird

    undisclosed wrote:
    > Hello Everyone,
    >
    > I am running windows 7 and I have been on windows 7 for at least 2
    > months. However, I am getting a blue screen error and do not know what
    > to do. Please provide some input to a solution. Thank you
    >
    >
    > Problem signature:
    > Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
    > OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.1
    > Locale ID: 1033
    >
    > Additional information about the problem:
    > BCCode: 50
    > BCP1: FFFFFA90063598D0
    > BCP2: 0000000000000000
    > BCP3: FFFFF88004F667B7
    > BCP4: 0000000000000005
    > OS Version: 6_1_7600
    > Service Pack: 0_0
    > Product: 256_1
    >
    > Files that help describe the problem:
    > C:/Windows\Minidump\062610-33181-01.dmp
    > C:/Users\JT\AppData\Local\Temp\WER-53757-0.sysdata.xml
    >
    > Read our privacy statement online:
    > 'Windows 7 Privacy Statement - Microsoft Windows'
    > (http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=104288&clcid=0x0409)
    >
    > If the online privacy statement is not available, please read our
    > privacy statement offline:
    > C:/Windows\system32\en-US\erofflps.txt
    >
    >
    > -----------------------------------------------------------
    > I downloaded blue screen view and came up with this below I do not
    > know what all this problematic stuff means from bluescreenview.
    >
    >
    > 062610-33181-01.dmp 6/26/2010 10:58:39
    > AM PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA 0x00000050 fffffa90`063598d0 00000000`00000000 fffff880`04f667b7 00000000`00000005 nvlddmkm.sys nvlddmkm.sys+13b970 x64 C:/Windows\Minidump\062610-33181-01.dmp 2 15 7600
    > 062610-37299-01.dmp 6/26/2010 10:45:01
    > AM 0x00000124 00000000`00000000 fffffa80`050c7038 00000000`b2000040 00000000`00000800 hal.dll hal.dll+12903 x64 C:/Windows\Minidump\062610-37299-01.dmp 2 15 7600
    >
    >
    >
    > BELOW WAS HIGHLIGHTED IN PINK
    >
    >
    > ntoskrnl.exe ntoskrnl.exe+ef801 fffff800`02a4c000 fffff800`03028000 0x005dc000 0x4b88cfeb 2/27/2010
    > 3:55:23 AM Microsoft® Windows® Operating System NT Kernel &
    > System 6.1.7600.16539 (win7_gdr.100226-1909) Microsoft
    > Corporation C:/Windows\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
    > nvlddmkm.sys nvlddmkm.sys+13b970 fffff880`04ac2000 fffff880`055e5180 0x00b23180 0x4ac791b5 10/3/2009
    > 2:02:29 PM
    >
    >


    The "0x00000050 nvlddmkm.sys" tells you your Nvidia graphics driver
    is falling over. Use your search engine with that as a search term,
    to see examples of what other people have tried.

    You can try a different driver.

    Or you can review your hardware test strategy. For example, if
    you build your own computer, use memtest86+ and Prime95 stress
    test, to verify the CPU and RAM are properly adjusted and
    stable. Some people never had a stable hardware platform to begin
    with, and the symptoms can be one blue screen after another, with
    different error messages each time. If you are seeing relatively
    random errors, it could be a CPU/memory adjustment. If the errors
    stay within nvlddmkm.sys, it is also possible the graphics
    card is about to croak. If you have a super high powered
    graphics card, it might even be overloading the PSU at
    peak 3D play. In terms of hardware reasons, you've got a
    few things to consider.

    Before jumping to any conclusions, have a look at
    *all* your bluescreen errors to date, and see if they're
    random, or always the same error (i.e. always the same driver
    file). That kind of info can help you choose a strategy to fix it.

    Paul
     
  4. Peter Foldes

    Peter Foldes Flightless Bird

    BCCode: 50

    http://aumha.org/a/stop.php#0x50
    --
    Peter

    Please Reply to Newsgroup for the benefit of others
    Requests for assistance by email can not and will not be acknowledged.
    http://www.microsoft.com/protect

    <undisclosed> wrote in message
    news:34470b518f4a5be94ccdb86e5075f921@nntp-gateway.com...
    >
    > Hello Everyone,
    >
    > I am running windows 7 and I have been on windows 7 for at least 2
    > months. However, I am getting a blue screen error and do not know what
    > to do. Please provide some input to a solution. Thank you
    >
    >
    > Problem signature:
    > Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
    > OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.1
    > Locale ID: 1033
    >
    > Additional information about the problem:
    > BCCode: 50
     
  5. Trimble Bracegirdle

    Trimble Bracegirdle Flightless Bird

    Undisclosed:
    Have you / can you boot up in Safe Mode ?

    Your not saying exactly where & when the Blue Scr. Crash is happening ?

    You say it was working OK for some months.
    Has anything been added or changed recently ?
    Try unplugging everything thats not needed to start up.
    (\__/)
    (='.':]
    (")_(") mouse (Me, I Guess Ram Memory Fault)
     
  6. djskillz06

    djskillz06 Flightless Bird

    Blue Screen only happens on normal boot. Not safe mode. Also, I ran the MemTest and there were no errors. However, after I normally booted the laptop, it showed like little specks to the right of the screen and then the screen went black. Here are some problems I have had.

    - Screen flickered when booted
    - Screen automatically turned black after windows loaded
    - Ran MemTest, (No Errors), but specs showed up after windows booted
    - Updated Nvidia Driver and nothing happened. Continued to have same problems.

    - Alert message opened- download missing driver for memory card
    - Alert message opened- Install your video card driver

    Tried to do both of these, but microsoft's help is not good at all and always says that the solution could not be downloaded.

    Need help asap!
     
  7. Paul

    Paul Flightless Bird

    undisclosed wrote:
    > Blue Screen only happens on normal boot. Not safe mode. Also, I ran
    > the MemTest and there were no errors. However, after I normally booted
    > the laptop, it showed like little specks to the right of the screen and
    > then the screen went black. Here are some problems I have had.
    >
    > - Screen flickered when booted
    > - Screen automatically turned black after windows loaded
    > - Ran MemTest, (No Errors), but specs showed up after windows booted
    > - Updated Nvidia Driver and nothing happened. Continued to have same
    > problems.
    >
    > - Alert message opened- download missing driver for memory card
    > - Alert message opened- Install your video card driver
    >
    > Tried to do both of these, but microsoft's help is not good at all and
    > always says that the solution could not be downloaded.
    >
    > Need help asap!


    "little specks to the right of the screen" Hmmm.

    Nvidia shipped a large number of defective GPUs, where the problem was
    with the packaging of the integrated circuit. You could check to see
    whether your generation of hardware is affected or not. There
    are many stories about this issue, and this is just one news article
    on the subject.

    http://news.softpedia.com/news/ATI-Says-That-Its-Chips-Have-Reliable-Packaging-Materials-91133.shtml

    One of the cures, is application of heat to the product with the
    defective GPU on it. At least one person took apart a PCI Express
    video card, and baked it in a toaster oven, and claims to have
    cured a video card problem. Similar efforts have been tried
    with laptops as well. (Basically, run the laptop until the GPU
    is boiling hot.) I can't recommend such a method, due to the
    risk of ruining something else in the process. If the product
    was repaired at the factory, they'd use precision equipment,
    that could apply a controlled temperature profile while
    re-soldering a new component. Doing the same thing with
    a toaster oven (temperature = uncontrolled, and easily too high)
    is just insanity. If your laptop has any warranty left, you'd be
    much better off getting them to fix this mistake.

    Testing the hardware with another OS, is another alternative
    means of test. To give an example, I had a video problem
    with my first computer (440BX chipset, ATI Rage video card
    of some sort). Virtually any screen update activity in Windows
    would "tip it over". After musing about the problem for some
    time, and not making any progress, I tried booting a Linux
    LiveCD. And the same damn thing happened. Linux would only
    run for 30 seconds or a minute, before video problems would
    crop up, and that would be it. By using two OSes, and testing
    with both Windows and Linux, I was able to determine that the
    machine with 440BX chipset, was infinitely stable (16 hours
    Prime95 clean) with two sticks of RAM. If three or four sticks
    were present, I'd have video problems. So there was something
    wrong with an interaction between the AGP slot and the memory
    controller (more likely a design defect, rather than defective
    hardware). It probably wasn't the "Photoshop bug" (lack of
    bypass capacitance on memory bus termination), because that
    should have shown up no matter how much memory was present.

    Try to test with two OSes. If you see problems with both, then
    you know it is a hardware issue.

    Paul
     
  8. Big 666

    Big 666 Flightless Bird

    undisclosed wrote:
    > Hello Everyone,
    >
    > I am running windows 7 and I have been on windows 7 for at least 2
    > months. However, I am getting a blue screen error and do not know what
    > to do. Please provide some input to a solution. Thank you
    >
    >


    Did it start happening after a Windows update, and new drivers for
    equipment were installed causing problems?

    Did you contact the computer manufacturer's tech support for help? They
    can help you in this situation.
     
  9. djskillz06

    djskillz06 Flightless Bird

    Yes. Right after windows started updating. And yes I believe equipment could have caused problems. I hooked my HDMI up to my TV. That was also a new change. I contacted POS HP and they said that I am out of warranty. This is the last time they get my money. This is the first time I ever called them for help and they said I am out of warranty. As far as the article about the defective GPUs, I purchased the laptop one month or two before the article was published which gives me an indication that I might have a faulty Nvidia card. As of right now, for some odd reason, the computer has ran for like over 2 hours without shutting down. However, I do not have my HDMI hooked up nor any other wires. But I want to run all my stuff to include HDMI. Also, it seems cooler than normal, but when it was hot, it seemed to shutdown frequently? Maybe my laptop is pregnant lol.

    Any suggestions???
     
  10. Big 666

    Big 666 Flightless Bird

    undisclosed wrote:
    > Big 666;1786875 Wrote:
    >> undisclosed wrote:
    >>> Hello Everyone,
    >>>
    >>> I am running windows 7 and I have been on windows 7 for at least 2
    >>> months. However, I am getting a blue screen error and do not know

    >> what
    >>> to do. Please provide some input to a solution. Thank you
    >>>
    >>>

    >> Did it start happening after a Windows update, and new drivers for
    >> equipment were installed causing problems?
    >>
    >> Did you contact the computer manufacturer's tech support for help?
    >> They
    >> can help you in this situation.

    >
    > Yes. Right after windows started updating. And yes I believe
    > equipment could have caused problems.


    I would say a driver was downloaded to the machine you don't know about.
    And it may be causing the problem.

    Did you check the Windows 7 View Installed Update List (off of Control
    Panel/Programs and Features) to find out what software was updated on
    your machine during the Windows Update?

    > I hooked my HDMI up to my TV.
    > That was also a new change. I contacted POS HP and they said that I am
    > out of warranty. This is the last time they get my money. This is the
    > first time I ever called them for help and they said I am out of
    > warranty. As far as the article about the defective GPUs, I purchased
    > the laptop one month or two before the article was published which gives
    > me an indication that I might have a faulty Nvidia card. As of right
    > now, for some odd reason, the computer has ran for like over 2 hours
    > without shutting down. However, I do not have my HDMI hooked up nor any
    > other wires. But I want to run all my stuff to include HDMI. Also, it
    > seems cooler than normal, but when it was hot, it seemed to shutdown
    > frequently? Maybe my laptop is pregnant lol.
    >
    > Any suggestions???
    >
    >


    You should take the computer to a reputable computer repair shop and
    have them look at it for the overheating and computer shutdown, as that
    is a serious problem.
     
  11. Agent_C

    Agent_C Flightless Bird

  12. SC Tom

    SC Tom Flightless Bird

    <undisclosed> wrote in message
    news:3eb57e55fc486ca463b2733120fdc4cb@nntp-gateway.com...
    >
    > Big 666;1786875 Wrote:
    >> undisclosed wrote:
    >> > Hello Everyone,
    >> >
    >> > I am running windows 7 and I have been on windows 7 for at least 2
    >> > months. However, I am getting a blue screen error and do not know

    >> what
    >> > to do. Please provide some input to a solution. Thank you
    >> >
    >> >

    >>
    >> Did it start happening after a Windows update, and new drivers for
    >> equipment were installed causing problems?
    >>
    >> Did you contact the computer manufacturer's tech support for help?
    >> They
    >> can help you in this situation.

    >
    > Yes. Right after windows started updating. And yes I believe
    > equipment could have caused problems. I hooked my HDMI up to my TV.
    > That was also a new change. I contacted POS HP and they said that I am
    > out of warranty. This is the last time they get my money. This is the
    > first time I ever called them for help and they said I am out of
    > warranty. As far as the article about the defective GPUs, I purchased
    > the laptop one month or two before the article was published which gives
    > me an indication that I might have a faulty Nvidia card. As of right
    > now, for some odd reason, the computer has ran for like over 2 hours
    > without shutting down. However, I do not have my HDMI hooked up nor any
    > other wires. But I want to run all my stuff to include HDMI. Also, it
    > seems cooler than normal, but when it was hot, it seemed to shutdown
    > frequently? Maybe my laptop is pregnant lol.
    >
    > Any suggestions???
    >
    >
    > --
    > djskillz06


    Unfortunately, warranty doesn't mean how many times you haven't called, but
    how long you've owned the laptop. I wish it was based on how many times I
    haven't called; my HPs would never have been out of warranty :)

    Do a search on Google/Bing and HPs site and see if there are any recalls for
    your make and model of laptop. Check on Nvidia's site also. Some of the
    links Paul provided may also give you some kind of recourse. If there's a
    recall based on your chipset, you may be able to get it fixed for free or
    very cheap. Unfortunately, laptop troubleshooting by professionals is mostly
    counter cost effective since a lot of the time it'll cost you almost as much
    as a new laptop would.
    --
    SC Tom
     
  13. Dave

    Dave Flightless Bird

    "undisclosed" wrote in message
    news:3eb57e55fc486ca463b2733120fdc4cb@nntp-gateway.com...
    >
    > Big 666;1786875 Wrote:
    >> undisclosed wrote:
    >> > Hello Everyone,
    >> >
    >> > I am running windows 7 and I have been on windows 7 for at least 2
    >> > months. However, I am getting a blue screen error and do not know

    >> what
    >> > to do. Please provide some input to a solution. Thank you
    >> >
    >> >

    >>
    >> Did it start happening after a Windows update, and new drivers for
    >> equipment were installed causing problems?
    >>
    >> Did you contact the computer manufacturer's tech support for help?
    >> They
    >> can help you in this situation.

    >
    > Yes. Right after windows started updating. And yes I believe
    > equipment could have caused problems. I hooked my HDMI up to my TV.
    > That was also a new change. I contacted POS HP and they said that I am
    > out of warranty. This is the last time they get my money. This is the
    > first time I ever called them for help and they said I am out of
    > warranty. As far as the article about the defective GPUs, I purchased
    > the laptop one month or two before the article was published which gives
    > me an indication that I might have a faulty Nvidia card. As of right
    > now, for some odd reason, the computer has ran for like over 2 hours
    > without shutting down. However, I do not have my HDMI hooked up nor any
    > other wires. But I want to run all my stuff to include HDMI. Also, it
    > seems cooler than normal, but when it was hot, it seemed to shutdown
    > frequently? Maybe my laptop is pregnant lol.
    >
    > Any suggestions???
    >
    >
    > --
    > djskillz06


    You just mentioned this about hot, I haven't noticed that in the thread
    before. It is possible you have a cooling problem. Intake port dirty/dusty,
    fan dirty/dusty, fan going bad and etc. If the airflow is blocked or the fan
    quits the power supply can get hot and cause voltages to change, which can
    cause a BSD. Some graphic cards have processors that run so hot they require
    a cooling fan on their processor, if the same problem occurs with them then
    you can get a BSD from the video card. One other thing, and I know you
    probably know this, but you need to ensure you don't operate a laptop on a
    soft surface, like on your bed or pillow. This can let the laptops air
    intake ports get covered and will cause a laptop to run hot. I suggest you
    check all ports to ensure they are clean and dust-free and you can hear fans
    running. On my HP laptop the cooling fan doesn't run all the time, I guess
    it has a thermal switch or it could have a fan on the video processor that
    kicks on and off, listen on yours to make sure you get a fan noise at some
    time and that the noise is just air movement, not a grinding or growling
    type noise, if you hear the latter then the fan is bad. If you get another
    BSD, check at that time for fan noise.
    I agree with posters that say it sounds like a driver problem since it
    happened when you upgraded, but it could be a coincidence as well.
    HTH,
    Dave
     

Share This Page