1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Arrange Icons By - Not the usual questions

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Jerry and Ce, Mar 15, 2010.

  1. Donald Anadell

    Donald Anadell Flightless Bird

    "Greg Russell" <grussell@invalid.com> wrote in message
    news:807lesFkhU1@mid.individual.net...
    > In news:uZtWM6HxKHA.1548@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl,
    > Donald Anadell <danadell@nospamersmikrotec.com> typed:
    >
    >> Amazing how quick you are to call the OP a sexist, but yet you ignore
    >> your own homophobic tendencies.

    >


    > I don't think anybody's afraid of you.


    I have no idea where you are going with this statement, so if it's just the
    last word you want...you win.

    Donald Anadell


    >
    >
     
  2. dadiOH

    dadiOH Flightless Bird

    Jerry and Ce wrote:
    > Thanks, but I don't have 'column headings' in my folders.



    You said,"I know that you can add to this list from the menu bar by
    choosing
    View/Choose details." Details = column headings.

    If you prefer to NOT view by details do so temporarily, add the column
    headings you want to eventually have in the right click list then go back to
    whatever "view" you want. No more columns but they will be in the list for
    you to choose how to sort.

    dadiOH
    ____________

    >
    > "dadiOH" <dadiOH@invalid.com> wrote in message
    > news:up%23L5GDxKHA.5036@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
    >> Jerry and Ce wrote:
    >>> Hi Guys, I'd appreciate a bit of advice.
    >>> In any folder, when you right-click and choose Arrange Icons By, you
    >>> get a list of ways they can be arranged.
    >>> I know that you can add to this list from the menu bar by choosing
    >>> View/Choose details.
    >>> What I want to be able to do is to select ALL the available
    >>> details, and to apply this to ALL folders, so that in future I can
    >>> select the arrange option I want from the right-click menu.
    >>> Is this possible?
    >>> Many thanks,
    >>> Jerry

    >>
    >> Possible, yes; sensible, no.
    >>
    >> The items shown under "arrange by" are the column headings. You can
    >> select the column headings to be shown by right clicking one; that
    >> will spit out a list of many possibilities. Select them all and
    >> you'll wind up with an unreadable window.
    >>
    >> Right clicking to "arrange by" does nothing except sort the contents
    >> of the window by whatever you choose; you can do the same thing by
    >> clicking the column heading you want to sort by and that is quicker
    >> and easier. --
    >>
    >> dadiOH
    >> ____________________________
    >>
    >> dadiOH's dandies v3.06...
    >> ...a help file of info about MP3s, recording from
    >> LP/cassette and tips & tricks on this and that.
    >> Get it at http://mysite.verizon.net/xico
     
  3. dadiOH

    dadiOH Flightless Bird

    Re: Arrange Icons By - Not the usual questions - TO SUM UP THEN

    Jerry and Ce wrote:
    >>> You WILL have to be in Details view to activate them.

    >
    > My PC, XP SP3 and all updates, but Classic Windows appearance, must be
    > different to yours.
    > I can access the menu to choose the attributes in any type of folder
    > view by going to the Menu Bar, View, Choose Details.


    OK, do it that way then...

    1. Select a folder
    2. "Choose details"
    3. Tick them all
    4. Apply to all folders

    The whole boogie should now show up in "Arrange icons by..." for every
    folder, any "view".


    --

    dadiOH
    ____________________________

    dadiOH's dandies v3.06...
    ....a help file of info about MP3s, recording from
    LP/cassette and tips & tricks on this and that.
    Get it at http://mysite.verizon.net/xico
     
  4. Greg Russell

    Greg Russell Flightless Bird

    In news:eR0iDWIxKHA.2432@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl,
    Donald Anadell <danadell@nospamersmikrotec.com> typed:

    >> I don't think anybody's afraid of you.

    >
    > I have no idea where you are going with this statement, ...


    You're the one who introduced the phobia comment.
     
  5. Twayne

    Twayne Flightless Bird

    OT Re: Arrange Icons By - Not the usual questions

    In news:807fepFrmpU1@mid.individual.net,
    Greg Russell <grussell@invalid.com> typed:
    > In news:-OTMUEWGxKHA.3560@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl,
    > Twayne <nobody@spamcop.net> typed:
    >
    >>>> Hi Guys, I'd appreciate a bit of advice.
    >>>
    >>> There are a great many knowledgeable women in the worl of
    >>> computing ... why do you exclude them in your questions?

    >>
    >> Why do YOU post off topic?

    >
    > If you think addressing the OP's behaviour of excluding
    > women is somehow "off topic" when he specifically mentions
    > it, then you're just as bad as he is. Worse even, for
    > pretending that what's right in front of your face doesn't
    > exist.


    No, you are incorrect. Check any mainstream dictionary for the definition of
    "guy" when it's used in the plural form. Assuming of course, that didn't go
    too far over your head.


    You're so far off track it's almost laughable:
    -- You've clipped the part of the text that was relevant
    -- You've removed the relevant "OT" lable for your post, which is OFF TOPIC.
    -- You seem to think "on topic" means whatever YOU choose to talk about
    when in fact it is information relevant to the OP's query be on topic.
    Commenting on his grammar and word usage etc is OFF TOPIC; NOT related to
    the Subject line OR the OP's query.
    -- I don't mind being "as bad as" the OP because the OP committed no sin. I
    know a lot of people who refer to a group as "guys" regardless of the number
    of women in it. And, it is correct. I suspect you might be from a group of
    "would of" and the like who murder the language at nearly every turn.

    From Merriam Webster's Online Dictionary:
    "
    3 a : man, fellow b : person -used in plural to refer to the members of a
    group regardless of sex <saw her and the rest of the guys>
    "
    -- You seem to think your opinion makes something a law for the rest of the
    world.
    -- And finally, as noted in the dictionary entry above, you are WRONG!. The
    OP was RIGHT.
    So all the above pushes you into the seedy categories of guys that:
    -- Don't fact-check
    -- Spew mindlessly
    -- Assign their own meanings to words due usually to their ignorance of the
    actual details
    -- Attack others for your own feelings of powerlessness and inadequacy
    -- and finally look foolish not that you have submitted your post and it is
    recorded at Google and many other sites which will show your error and your
    obvious lack of scruples, intelligence and interpersonal skills for as long
    as those lists may last, which is longer than you will live, even though you
    are naught but a teenie-bopping wart on someone's ass.

    I shall not troll around with you as I only respond once to trolls, finding
    it more intresting to watch them squirm as they work to elicit further
    responses they can continue to troll to.

    Twayne



    --
    --
    Life is the only real counselor; wisdom unfiltered
    through personal experience does not become a
    part of the moral tissue.
     
  6. Twayne

    Twayne Flightless Bird

    In news:uZtWM6HxKHA.1548@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl,
    Donald Anadell <danadell@nospamersmikrotec.com> typed:
    > "Greg Russell" <grussell@invalid.com> wrote in message
    > news:807iltFfeuU1@mid.individual.net...
    >> In news:%23NFbGoHxKHA.1548@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl,
    >> Donald Anadell <danadell@nospamersmikrotec.com> typed:
    >>
    >>> Perhaps the OP is using the term "Guys" in a Gender
    >>> Neutral way.

    >>
    >> You sound like you're from San Francisco ... not that
    >> there's anything *wrong* with that ...

    >
    > Actually, I've never been San Francisco.
    >
    > Amazing how quick you are to call the OP a sexist, but yet
    > you ignore your own homophobic tendencies.
    >
    > Donald Anadell


    Homophobic? Never! Why, some of my best friends... <g>
    It's national Take a Shower with a Homo week! Get to showering quickly!
    Just keep your little finger straight & down; it'll hide you plenty well
    from their smiling stares.

    Twayne


    --
    --
    Life is the only real counselor; wisdom unfiltered
    through personal experience does not become a
    part of the moral tissue.
     
  7. Greg Russell

    Greg Russell Flightless Bird

    In news:-OrLCIDKxKHA.5576@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl,
    Twayne <nobody@spamcop.net> typed:

    > It's national Take a Shower with a Homo week! Get to showering
    > quickly! Just keep your little finger straight & down


    You sound like the resident expert.
     
  8. VanguardLH

    VanguardLH Flightless Bird

    Jerry and Ce wrote:

    > VanguardLH wrote ...
    >
    >> Jerry and Ce wrote:
    >>
    >>> In any folder, when you right-click and choose Arrange Icons By, you get
    >>> a list of ways they can be arranged. I know that you can add to this
    >>> list from the menu bar by choosing View/Choose details. What I want to
    >>> be able to do is to select ALL the available details, and to apply
    >>> this to ALL folders, so that in future I can select the arrange option
    >>> I want from the right-click menu.

    >>
    >> Open Windows Explorer.
    >> Use the sorting you want, like using the Details view.
    >> Tools -> Folder Options -> View
    >> Click the "Apply to all Folders"

    >
    > As I said, this is not the usual question.
    > I know how to apply a particular view to all folders.
    > That is not what I am asking.
    > Please re-read:


    Boiling away the dross, your post boils down to:

    What I want to be able to do is to select ALL the available details, and
    to apply this to ALL folders, so that in future I can select the arrange
    option I want from the right-click menu.

    So what you asked is what I stated. No one here is a long-distance
    mindreader and being an atypical post as you think it may be doesn't alter
    what interpretation is possible from what you actually wrote.

    You want ALL the available details (Details is a field definition all by
    itself and does not equate to all *fields* available for display). I told
    you how to do that (which you already knew). You want to apply that
    detailed view to all [Windows Explorer view of] folders. Told you how to do
    that (which now you claim to already know). "Select the arrange option".
    You specified WHAT is that option (other than the one already there and
    which has nothing to do with the view setting). Not my fault that you are
    vague and cannot adequately describe what you want so someone ELSE knows of
    what you are really asking.

    If perhaps you meant that you want to add ANOTHER entry in the submenu for
    the "Arrange By" context menu to include a "By Details" selection, that is
    superfluous. In fact, the entire top half of the submenu under the "Arrange
    By" context menu is superfluous (the bottom half gives you grouping, auto
    arrange, and align to grid). All the sorting entries in the Arrange By
    context submenu are already available in Windows Explorer. Just click on
    the header row. If you want to arrange by Filename, click on that header.
    Click again and the sorting order toggles. To sort by Type is just one
    click on the Type header. The sorting is already available by clicking on
    the header by which you want to sort. It's already there.

    If you want more details in the display (on which you can sort) than add
    more fields (headers). Right-click on any field in the header row and add
    more fields, or click on More if you want to add a whole bunch of fields at
    once.
     
  9. VanguardLH

    VanguardLH Flightless Bird

    I see in your other posts that you claim that you have to Details view which
    would show the header row with the fields available in that Details view.

    There is no "Details" selection under the View menu? One you select that
    view, the folder/file pane on the right should show a header row that lists
    all the fields current selected to be displayed. If you want different or
    more fields, right-click on any field and select/deselect some of the
    fields, or use More to select/deselect several at once.

    So now seeing how you further explained yourself in subsequent posts which
    was lacking in your original post, it seems you want "Arrange By -> Details"
    in the right-click context menu. Not possible. The Arrange By menu lets
    you select by which *field* you want to arrange (sort). It does NOT let you
    switch between *views*. You can change the view (to select the Details
    view) by either:

    View menu -> Details
    Right-click, context menu, Views menu, submenu pick Details.

    Again, in the context menu:
    - Arrange By: for sorting on an available field.
    - Views: Pick a view, like Details.
     
  10. mm

    mm Flightless Bird

    On Mon, 15 Mar 2010 12:17:40 -0700, "Greg Russell"
    <grussell@invalid.com> wrote:

    >In news:-OTMUEWGxKHA.3560@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl,
    >Twayne <nobody@spamcop.net> typed:
    >
    >>>> Hi Guys, I'd appreciate a bit of advice.
    >>>
    >>> There are a great many knowledgeable women in the worl of
    >>> computing ... why do you exclude them in your questions?

    >>
    >> Why do YOU post off topic?

    >
    >If you think addressing the OP's behaviour of excluding women is somehow
    >"off topic" when he specifically mentions it,


    He didn't mention anything. He used "guys", which word has been used
    to refer to girls also at least since 1960 (Sixty) when I saw a girl
    use it to address a group composed only of girls.

    How old are you that you don't know this? How old are you that you
    engage in silly questions?

    > then you're just as bad as he
    >is. Worse even, for pretending that what's right in front of your face
    >doesn't exist.
    >
     
  11. Greg Russell

    Greg Russell Flightless Bird

    In news:r9vtp5tndfjtn94v2naio909jrknsdf7d1@4ax.com,
    mm <NOPSAMmm2005@bigfoot.com> typed:

    > He didn't mention anything. He used "guys" ...


    That might be the crux of his problems. Have you read the about the issues
    with the Catholic Pope and his brother, as well as the Irsish cardinal? They
    all used guys too, or at least covered-up their actions for them, using
    Microsoft software.
     
  12. Jerry and Ce

    Jerry and Ce Flightless Bird

    Re: Arrange Icons By - THANK YOU

    Thanks to everyone who has replied (except the troll), I now have what I
    asked for.

    Mostly.

    There seem to be some folders where I am still only getting the standard
    Name/Size/Type/Modified options.
    I'll try to work out what makes these folders different from the rest.

    Thanks again,
    Jerry





    "dadiOH" <dadiOH@invalid.com> wrote in message
    news:uoI3SZIxKHA.812@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...
    > Jerry and Ce wrote:
    >> Thanks, but I don't have 'column headings' in my folders.

    >
    >
    > You said,"I know that you can add to this list from the menu bar by
    > choosing
    > View/Choose details." Details = column headings.
    >
    > If you prefer to NOT view by details do so temporarily, add the column
    > headings you want to eventually have in the right click list then go back
    > to whatever "view" you want. No more columns but they will be in the list
    > for you to choose how to sort.
    >
    > dadiOH
    > ____________
    >
    >>
    >> "dadiOH" <dadiOH@invalid.com> wrote in message
    >> news:up%23L5GDxKHA.5036@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
    >>> Jerry and Ce wrote:
    >>>> Hi Guys, I'd appreciate a bit of advice.
    >>>> In any folder, when you right-click and choose Arrange Icons By, you
    >>>> get a list of ways they can be arranged.
    >>>> I know that you can add to this list from the menu bar by choosing
    >>>> View/Choose details.
    >>>> What I want to be able to do is to select ALL the available
    >>>> details, and to apply this to ALL folders, so that in future I can
    >>>> select the arrange option I want from the right-click menu.
    >>>> Is this possible?
    >>>> Many thanks,
    >>>> Jerry
    >>>
    >>> Possible, yes; sensible, no.
    >>>
    >>> The items shown under "arrange by" are the column headings. You can
    >>> select the column headings to be shown by right clicking one; that
    >>> will spit out a list of many possibilities. Select them all and
    >>> you'll wind up with an unreadable window.
    >>>
    >>> Right clicking to "arrange by" does nothing except sort the contents
    >>> of the window by whatever you choose; you can do the same thing by
    >>> clicking the column heading you want to sort by and that is quicker
    >>> and easier. --
    >>>
    >>> dadiOH
    >>> ____________________________
    >>>
    >>> dadiOH's dandies v3.06...
    >>> ...a help file of info about MP3s, recording from
    >>> LP/cassette and tips & tricks on this and that.
    >>> Get it at http://mysite.verizon.net/xico

    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
     
  13. Anthony Buckland

    Anthony Buckland Flightless Bird

    "Greg Russell" <grussell@invalid.com> wrote in message
    news:807iltFfeuU1@mid.individual.net...
    > In news:%23NFbGoHxKHA.1548@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl,
    > Donald Anadell <danadell@nospamersmikrotec.com> typed:
    >
    >> Perhaps the OP is using the term "Guys" in a Gender Neutral way.

    >
    > You sound like you're from San Francisco ... not that there's anything
    > *wrong* with that ...


    I know various straight Vancouver women who address each
    other or a mixed group as "guys".
     
  14. Greg Russell

    Greg Russell Flightless Bird

    In news:eH%23MfAfxKHA.5940@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl,
    Anthony Buckland <anthonybucklandnospam@telus.net> typed:

    > I know various straight Vancouver women who address each
    > other or a mixed group as "guys".


    It's probably the only thing you have going for you.
     

Share This Page