1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Application failure upon trying to load a .dll file.

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by PSRumbagh, Jan 29, 2010.

  1. PSRumbagh

    PSRumbagh Flightless Bird

    About 33% of the time "aolsoftware.exe" fails to load a needed .dll file
    producing an errpr mesage. In order of frequency it is always one and just
    one of the following three .dll files: (1) bfts.dll, (2) xprt6.dll or (3)
    msvcrt.dll. Each .dll file repeatedly fails at the same exact address .
    Does this mean that these three .dll files are corrupted, or what? If so,
    why does "aolsoftware.exe" load correctly about 67% of the time?
     
  2. Andrew McLaren

    Andrew McLaren Flightless Bird

    On 30/01/2010 06:08, PSRumbagh wrote:
    > About 33% of the time "aolsoftware.exe" fails to load a needed .dll file
    > producing an errpr mesage. In order of frequency it is always one and just
    > one of the following three .dll files: (1) bfts.dll, (2) xprt6.dll or (3)
    > msvcrt.dll. Each .dll file repeatedly fails at the same exact address .
    > Does this mean that these three .dll files are corrupted, or what? If so,
    > why does "aolsoftware.exe" load correctly about 67% of the time?


    There are several reasons why a DLL could fail to load; in your case it
    sounds like a base address conflict, or similar. Depending on the
    sequence of operations, DLLs may be loaded in a different order and at
    different times during a program's execution. DLLs have a "Load Base
    Address", at which they are loaded into the processes address space. If
    another DLL has already been loaded at the desired base address, you
    will get an error like the one you're seeing.

    It's not the only possible cause of the error; but this - or something
    like it - is likely to be the problem.

    "alosoftware.exe" is of course, the AOL software. I'd guess that you are
    an AOL subscriber? If not, you don't need this program; just uninstall
    it. If you are an AOL user, you could try upgrading to the latest
    version of the AOL software, which you can download from www.aol.com
    (9.5 is the latest I think). They are continually improving the quality
    and reliability with each new release.

    If you continue to get the same error even when running the latest
    release of AOL, your best bet would be to ask the AOL Support team; the
    problem is more to do with AOL software than Windows in general.

    Hope this helps,

    Andrew

    --
    amclar at optusnet dot com dot au
     
  3. PSRumbagh

    PSRumbagh Flightless Bird

    Thanks for the insight. Makes sense. I don't pay for AOL anymore since I
    subscribed to Charter Cable Internet 3 years ago. AOL tech help has not been
    available to us "Free-bies" for the last 18 months. Mostly I do use IE8
    through Charter.net. AOL deserves to go bankrupt!

    "Andrew McLaren" wrote:

    > On 30/01/2010 06:08, PSRumbagh wrote:
    > > About 33% of the time "aolsoftware.exe" fails to load a needed .dll file
    > > producing an errpr mesage. In order of frequency it is always one and just
    > > one of the following three .dll files: (1) bfts.dll, (2) xprt6.dll or (3)
    > > msvcrt.dll. Each .dll file repeatedly fails at the same exact address .
    > > Does this mean that these three .dll files are corrupted, or what? If so,
    > > why does "aolsoftware.exe" load correctly about 67% of the time?

    >
    > There are several reasons why a DLL could fail to load; in your case it
    > sounds like a base address conflict, or similar. Depending on the
    > sequence of operations, DLLs may be loaded in a different order and at
    > different times during a program's execution. DLLs have a "Load Base
    > Address", at which they are loaded into the processes address space. If
    > another DLL has already been loaded at the desired base address, you
    > will get an error like the one you're seeing.
    >
    > It's not the only possible cause of the error; but this - or something
    > like it - is likely to be the problem.
    >
    > "alosoftware.exe" is of course, the AOL software. I'd guess that you are
    > an AOL subscriber? If not, you don't need this program; just uninstall
    > it. If you are an AOL user, you could try upgrading to the latest
    > version of the AOL software, which you can download from www.aol.com
    > (9.5 is the latest I think). They are continually improving the quality
    > and reliability with each new release.
    >
    > If you continue to get the same error even when running the latest
    > release of AOL, your best bet would be to ask the AOL Support team; the
    > problem is more to do with AOL software than Windows in general.
    >
    > Hope this helps,
    >
    > Andrew
    >
    > --
    > amclar at optusnet dot com dot au
    > .
    >
     
  4. Andrew McLaren

    Andrew McLaren Flightless Bird

    On 30/01/2010 11:01, PSRumbagh wrote:
    > Thanks for the insight. Makes sense. I don't pay for AOL anymore since I
    > subscribed to Charter Cable Internet 3 years ago. AOL tech help has not been


    Then, yeah - best solution is to get rid of the AOL stuff on your
    system; you don't need it an more!

    Cheers
    Andrew
     
  5. Elmo

    Elmo Flightless Bird

    PSRumbagh wrote:
    > Thanks for the insight. Makes sense. I don't pay for AOL anymore since I
    > subscribed to Charter Cable Internet 3 years ago. AOL tech help has not been
    > available to us "Free-bies" for the last 18 months. Mostly I do use IE8
    > through Charter.net. AOL deserves to go bankrupt!
    >
    > "Andrew McLaren" wrote:
    >
    >> On 30/01/2010 06:08, PSRumbagh wrote:
    >>> About 33% of the time "aolsoftware.exe" fails to load a needed .dll file
    >>> producing an errpr mesage. In order of frequency it is always one and just
    >>> one of the following three .dll files: (1) bfts.dll, (2) xprt6.dll or (3)
    >>> msvcrt.dll. Each .dll file repeatedly fails at the same exact address .
    >>> Does this mean that these three .dll files are corrupted, or what? If so,
    >>> why does "aolsoftware.exe" load correctly about 67% of the time?

    >> There are several reasons why a DLL could fail to load; in your case it
    >> sounds like a base address conflict, or similar. Depending on the
    >> sequence of operations, DLLs may be loaded in a different order and at
    >> different times during a program's execution. DLLs have a "Load Base
    >> Address", at which they are loaded into the processes address space. If
    >> another DLL has already been loaded at the desired base address, you
    >> will get an error like the one you're seeing.
    >>
    >> It's not the only possible cause of the error; but this - or something
    >> like it - is likely to be the problem.
    >>
    >> "aolsoftware.exe" is of course, the AOL software. I'd guess that you are
    >> an AOL subscriber? If not, you don't need this program; just uninstall
    >> it. If you are an AOL user, you could try upgrading to the latest
    >> version of the AOL software, which you can download from www.aol.com
    >> (9.5 is the latest I think). They are continually improving the quality
    >> and reliability with each new release.
    >>
    >> If you continue to get the same error even when running the latest
    >> release of AOL, your best bet would be to ask the AOL Support team; the
    >> problem is more to do with AOL software than Windows in general.
    >>
    >> Hope this helps,
    >>
    >> Andrew


    After removing the AOL software, you can still access their free mail
    from AOL.com. You can also add it to OE, Thunderbird or other email
    clients and get it sent along with your Charter Cable email account:

    http://www.freeemailtutorials.com/outlookExpress/settingUpOutlookExpress/aolMailAccountSetup.htm

    --
    Joe =o)
     

Share This Page