1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

All logins are disabled - Please help!

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Don, Jun 28, 2010.

  1. Don

    Don Flightless Bird

    I'm working on a friend's computer and he has managed to disable all user accounts, including "administrator". How do I get control again so I can enable administrator?

    Thanks,
    Don
     
  2. John John - MVP

    John John - MVP Flightless Bird

    Don wrote:
    > I'm working on a friend's computer and he has managed to disable all
    > user accounts, including "administrator". How do I get control again
    > so I can enable administrator?


    Login to Safe-Mode with the built-in Administrator account.

    John
     
  3. Pegasus [MVP]

    Pegasus [MVP] Flightless Bird

    "Don" <no@adr.com> wrote in message
    news:dv4h26950t6fhnp14nde60fukc2u0qb52d@4ax.com...
    > I'm working on a friend's computer and he has managed to disable all user
    > accounts, including "administrator". How do I get control again so I can
    > enable administrator?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Don


    When you boot the machine with a Nordahl boot CD
    (http://pogostick.net/~pnh/ntpasswd/) then resetting the administrator's
    password will also enable it.
     
  4. PA Bear [MS MVP]

    PA Bear [MS MVP] Flightless Bird

    What anti-virus application or security suite is installed and is your
    subscription current? What anti-spyware applications (other than Defender)?
    What third-party firewall (if any)?

    Has a(another) Norton or McAfee application ever been installed on the
    computer (e.g., a free-trial version that came preinstalled when you bought
    it)?

    Don wrote:
    > I'm working on a friend's computer and he has managed to disable all user
    > accounts, including "administrator". How do I get control again so I can
    > enable administrator?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Don
     
  5. Don

    Don Flightless Bird

    On Mon, 28 Jun 2010 10:12:11 -0300, John John - MVP <audetweld@nbnet.nb.ca> wrote:

    >Don wrote:
    >> I'm working on a friend's computer and he has managed to disable all
    >> user accounts, including "administrator". How do I get control again
    >> so I can enable administrator?

    >
    >Login to Safe-Mode with the built-in Administrator account.
    >
    >John



    All accounts are disabled, including the "administrator" account. How do I deal with this?

    Don
     
  6. Daave

    Daave Flightless Bird

    Don wrote:
    > On Mon, 28 Jun 2010 10:12:11 -0300, John John - MVP
    > <audetweld@nbnet.nb.ca> wrote:
    >
    >> Don wrote:
    >>> I'm working on a friend's computer and he has managed to disable all
    >>> user accounts, including "administrator". How do I get control
    >>> again so I can enable administrator?

    >>
    >> Login to Safe-Mode with the built-in Administrator account.
    >>
    >> John

    >
    >
    > All accounts are disabled, including the "administrator" account.
    > How do I deal with this?


    The very first thing you need to do to deal with this is to copy all
    your data to an external hard drive. You could either remove the hard
    drive or boot off something like UBCD4Win or Ubuntu.

    Then perhaps you can use a rescue disk like the ones mentioned here to
    scan for malware:

    http://www.techmixer.com/free-bootable-antivirus-rescue-cds-download-list/

    What do you mean that the accounts are "disabled"? What exactly happens?
    Have you used Safe Mode?
     
  7. John John - MVP

    John John - MVP Flightless Bird

    Don wrote:
    > On Mon, 28 Jun 2010 10:12:11 -0300, John John - MVP <audetweld@nbnet.nb.ca> wrote:
    >
    >> Don wrote:
    >>> I'm working on a friend's computer and he has managed to disable all
    >>> user accounts, including "administrator". How do I get control again
    >>> so I can enable administrator?

    >> Login to Safe-Mode with the built-in Administrator account.
    >>
    >> John

    >
    >
    > All accounts are disabled, including the "administrator" account. How do I deal with this?


    On Windows XP the built-in Administrator account is *always* available
    and able to logon to the Recovery Console or to Safe Mode...even if it
    is disabled, the system will enable it to allow access via these two
    methods.

    John
     
  8. Don

    Don Flightless Bird

    On Mon, 28 Jun 2010 12:48:27 -0300, John John - MVP <audetweld@nbnot.nb.ca> wrote:

    >Don wrote:
    >> On Mon, 28 Jun 2010 10:12:11 -0300, John John - MVP <audetweld@nbnet.nb.ca> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Don wrote:
    >>>> I'm working on a friend's computer and he has managed to disable all
    >>>> user accounts, including "administrator". How do I get control again
    >>>> so I can enable administrator?
    >>> Login to Safe-Mode with the built-in Administrator account.
    >>>
    >>> John

    >>
    >>
    >> All accounts are disabled, including the "administrator" account. How do I deal with this?

    >
    >On Windows XP the built-in Administrator account is *always* available
    >and able to logon to the Recovery Console or to Safe Mode...even if it
    >is disabled, the system will enable it to allow access via these two
    >methods.
    >
    >John


    Thanks John and the others for your help. John, how do I get to safe mode? I thought I tried every way I know and couldn't get there.

    Don
     
  9. John John - MVP

    John John - MVP Flightless Bird

    Don wrote:
    > On Mon, 28 Jun 2010 12:48:27 -0300, John John - MVP
    > <audetweld@nbnot.nb.ca> wrote:
    >
    >> Don wrote:
    >>> On Mon, 28 Jun 2010 10:12:11 -0300, John John - MVP
    >>> <audetweld@nbnet.nb.ca> wrote:
    >>>
    >>>> Don wrote:
    >>>>> I'm working on a friend's computer and he has managed to
    >>>>> disable all user accounts, including "administrator". How do
    >>>>> I get control again so I can enable administrator?
    >>>> Login to Safe-Mode with the built-in Administrator account.
    >>>>
    >>>> John
    >>>
    >>> All accounts are disabled, including the "administrator" account.
    >>> How do I deal with this?

    >> On Windows XP the built-in Administrator account is *always*
    >> available and able to logon to the Recovery Console or to Safe
    >> Mode...even if it is disabled, the system will enable it to allow
    >> access via these two methods.
    >>
    >> John

    >
    > Thanks John and the others for your help. John, how do I get to safe
    > mode? I thought I tried every way I know and couldn't get there.


    Press or tap the F8 key when the computer is booting up, press it before
    Windows starts to load, just after the BIOS POST routine. When at the
    Advanced boot options screen select Safe Mode and when presented with
    the logon screen enter Administrator in the logon box and enter the
    password... which might be your second hurdle, you need to know the
    password for the account. If you don't know the password often times
    the password is just left blank, press <Enter> and see if you can logon.
    If you cannot get around the password then use the tool suggested by
    Pegasus to get around the problem.

    John
     
  10. Don

    Don Flightless Bird

    On Mon, 28 Jun 2010 16:31:00 -0300, John John - MVP
    <audetweld@nbnet.nb.ca> wrote:

    >
    >Don wrote:
    >> On Mon, 28 Jun 2010 12:48:27 -0300, John John - MVP
    >> <audetweld@nbnot.nb.ca> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Don wrote:
    >>>> On Mon, 28 Jun 2010 10:12:11 -0300, John John - MVP
    >>>> <audetweld@nbnet.nb.ca> wrote:
    >>>>
    >>>>> Don wrote:
    >>>>>> I'm working on a friend's computer and he has managed to
    >>>>>> disable all user accounts, including "administrator". How do
    >>>>>> I get control again so I can enable administrator?
    >>>>> Login to Safe-Mode with the built-in Administrator account.
    >>>>>
    >>>>> John
    >>>>
    >>>> All accounts are disabled, including the "administrator" account.
    >>>> How do I deal with this?
    >>> On Windows XP the built-in Administrator account is *always*
    >>> available and able to logon to the Recovery Console or to Safe
    >>> Mode...even if it is disabled, the system will enable it to allow
    >>> access via these two methods.
    >>>
    >>> John

    >>
    >> Thanks John and the others for your help. John, how do I get to safe
    >> mode? I thought I tried every way I know and couldn't get there.

    >
    >Press or tap the F8 key when the computer is booting up, press it before
    >Windows starts to load, just after the BIOS POST routine. When at the
    >Advanced boot options screen select Safe Mode and when presented with
    >the logon screen enter Administrator in the logon box and enter the
    >password... which might be your second hurdle, you need to know the
    >password for the account. If you don't know the password often times
    >the password is just left blank, press <Enter> and see if you can logon.
    > If you cannot get around the password then use the tool suggested by
    >Pegasus to get around the problem.
    >
    >John



    Thanks, John and others. I'll try this tonight. I'm not at that
    computer right now.

    Thanks agan,
    Don
     
  11. Don

    Don Flightless Bird

    On Mon, 28 Jun 2010 05:22:29 -0700, Don <no@adr.com> wrote:

    >I'm working on a friend's computer and he has managed to disable all user accounts, including "administrator". How do I get control again so I can enable administrator?
    >
    >Thanks,
    >Don


    Got it working thanks to all of you guys. Thanks much!!!

    Don
     
  12. John John - MVP

    John John - MVP Flightless Bird

    Don wrote:
    > On Mon, 28 Jun 2010 05:22:29 -0700, Don <no@adr.com> wrote:
    >
    >> I'm working on a friend's computer and he has managed to disable all user accounts, including "administrator". How do I get control again so I can enable administrator?
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >> Don

    >
    > Got it working thanks to all of you guys. Thanks much!!!


    You're welcome.

    John
     
  13. HeyBub

    HeyBub Flightless Bird

    Don wrote:
    > On Mon, 28 Jun 2010 05:22:29 -0700, Don <no@adr.com> wrote:
    >
    >> I'm working on a friend's computer and he has managed to disable all
    >> user accounts, including "administrator". How do I get control
    >> again so I can enable administrator?
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >> Don

    >
    > Got it working thanks to all of you guys. Thanks much!!!
    >
    > Don


    I trust you've learned a valuable lesson about "working on a friend's
    computer..."
     
  14. Nil

    Nil Flightless Bird

    On 29 Jun 2010, Don <no@adr.com> wrote in
    microsoft.public.windowsxp.general:

    > Got it working thanks to all of you guys. Thanks much!!!


    It would have been considerate of you to describe how you resolved the
    problem so other people could take advantage of the help you received
    here.
     

Share This Page