• Welcome to Tux Reports: Where Penguins Fly. We hope you find the topics varied, interesting, and worthy of your time. Please become a member and join in the discussions.

Active Ingredients of Learning (AILs)

Robert Heiny

Research Scientist of Learning and Education
Flight Instructor
We've started adding definitions and descriptions of active ingredients of learning (AILs). Of all the words, images, motions, and other activities during lessons, whether in or out of classrooms , learners use AILs to solve problems they face. From a learners' view, the rest are distractions from learning how to solve their problem. We also started editing the definition of the word learning, so it includes descriptions of the place of AILs..
View the Post on the Blog

Robert Heiny

Flight Instructor
Yes, from a medical model, ail means illness, etc. From a learners' view, AIL means that some activities in a lesson help solve a problem and the rest that goes on during a "lesson" hide or distract from those relevant sensory inputs. Kinda "cold" for learning, eh? ;)

LPH

Flight Director
Flight Instructor
OK. I finally realized what was mulling around in my head. Maybe this is a missing ingredient.

1. A learner's view assumes a student is a learner. A student is mandated by government to attend school. The government mandate is not for the student to learn.

2. Conversations at the national level have not occurred regarding student accountability; that is, accountability measures for the student are not in place. For example, I'd offer students must pass an entrance exam to become enrolled in high school. Presently, a teen can be enrolled in high school without having "passed" middle school.

Robert Heiny

Flight Instructor
Interesting descriptions. Let me back up to describe technical definitions of two key terms.

The term a learners' view (ALV) represents descriptions reported by empirical experimental behavioral scientists of steps learners take to learn/solve a problem. The term active ingredients of learning (AIL) represents those sensory inputs to which learners will likely respond first, second, etc.

No assumptions, suppositions, or other preconditions beyond scientific processes used for these these terms.

I use these terms to distinguish what learners do in order for teachers to try to match lessons and instruction with fundamentals of what learners do during lessons.

Does this make sense?

Robert Heiny

Flight Instructor
As to your two mullings, they're interesting. Let me offer arguable comments.

1. I don't remember reading, hearing, or seeing formal distinctions that assert students aren't necessarily learners. That counters the social function of schooling. I' argue that learning is implied in public policies fo education by tradition. Also, a learners view represents experimental empirical behavioral science descriptions of what learners' do to learning. No assumption, but I do liken the idea using the term in more general ways. Yes?

2. Grades, tests, critiques of papers, etc. represent accountability of students now and in the past. Common Standards appear to represent one set of contemporary conversations. Perhaps you have concern with the apparent corruption of traditional accountability measures?