1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Activation by Phone to a "Real" Person at Microsoft

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Alan, May 21, 2010.

  1. Alan

    Alan Flightless Bird

    Hi all,

    I had to do a clean XP Home installation today on an old Compaq Presario
    2500 laptop for a client of mine.

    Because he had none of the Recovery or XP Installation CDs that came with
    the machine, I called H-P to request a replacement set. However, because the
    laptop is so old by their standards they had no installation media that I
    could buy.

    I told the H-P/Compaq rep that I have a Dell OEM Windows XP Home CD that
    came with my own machine. He said that XP should install okay using that --
    which it did.

    I'm now trying to register Windows XP using the 25 Character XP Code on the
    bottom of the Compaq laptop. While I thought it MIGHT just work over the
    Internet, it was flagged as being incorrect.

    I then called the phone number listed and all I can get is an automated
    voice response which tells me -- after I read the 54 character message
    code -- that the code is wrong and "I won't be able to validate my
    installation right now."

    Is there a phone number with a real person at Microsoft, who I can call and
    activate this installation?

    Thanks very much.

    Alan
     
  2. Volunteer J

    Volunteer J Flightless Bird

    Alan wrote:
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I had to do a clean XP Home installation today on an old Compaq
    > Presario 2500 laptop for a client of mine.
    >
    > Because he had none of the Recovery or XP Installation CDs that came
    > with the machine, I called H-P to request a replacement set. However,
    > because the laptop is so old by their standards they had no
    > installation media that I could buy.
    >
    > I told the H-P/Compaq rep that I have a Dell OEM Windows XP Home CD
    > that came with my own machine. He said that XP should install okay
    > using that -- which it did.
    >
    > I'm now trying to register Windows XP using the 25 Character XP Code
    > on the bottom of the Compaq laptop. While I thought it MIGHT just
    > work over the Internet, it was flagged as being incorrect.
    >
    > I then called the phone number listed and all I can get is an
    > automated voice response which tells me -- after I read the 54
    > character message code -- that the code is wrong and "I won't be able to
    > validate my
    > installation right now."
    >
    > Is there a phone number with a real person at Microsoft, who I can
    > call and activate this installation?
    >
    > Thanks very much.
    >
    > Alan

    =====================================
    Maybe the following links would be worth a look:

    (307890) How to activate Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307890/en-us

    (295539) How and When to Contact Microsoft
    Customer Service
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=295539

    --

    Volunteer J - MS-MVP
    Digital Media Experience

    Notice
    This is not tech support
    I am a volunteer

    Solutions that work for
    me may not work for you

    Proceed at your own risk
     
  3. Daave

    Daave Flightless Bird

    Alan wrote:
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I had to do a clean XP Home installation today on an old Compaq
    > Presario 2500 laptop for a client of mine.
    >
    > Because he had none of the Recovery or XP Installation CDs that came
    > with the machine, I called H-P to request a replacement set. However,
    > because the laptop is so old by their standards they had no
    > installation media that I could buy.
    >
    > I told the H-P/Compaq rep that I have a Dell OEM Windows XP Home CD
    > that came with my own machine. He said that XP should install okay
    > using that -- which it did.


    You should *not* have used a Dell-branded XP installation CD, and the
    HP/Compaq rep should not have told you this would work! The Dell-branded
    XP installation CD is locked to Dell motherboards.

    > I'm now trying to register Windows XP using the 25 Character XP Code
    > on the bottom of the Compaq laptop. While I thought it MIGHT just
    > work over the Internet, it was flagged as being incorrect.


    This can happen when you use a branded OEM installation CD!

    > I then called the phone number listed and all I can get is an
    > automated voice response which tells me -- after I read the 54
    > character message code -- that the code is wrong and "I won't be able
    > to validate my
    > installation right now."
    >
    > Is there a phone number with a real person at Microsoft, who I can
    > call and activate this installation?


    I doubt it. You are not permitted to use the Dell CD on an HP product. I
    agree it sucks since your customer obviously has a license to run XP
    Home on that PC.

    Here are some ideas:

    1. Search online for the generic HP product key for XP Home. This might
    help:

    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...fai=CBDggzkL3S6u1KZy2yATNhvGqDwAAAKoEBU_QC2B1

    Maybe if you use that Product Key, Activation will work (not
    Registration, that's something else!).

    2. Obtain the correct restoration media from a site like this:

    http://www.restoredisks.com/

    3. Obtain a *generic* OEM XP Home installation CD. Also, it is possible
    to create your own, using the Dell-branded one as a base:

    http://www.howtohaven.com/system/createwindowssetupdisk.shtml

    FWIW, I had issues performing a Clean Install of XP Pro onto an HP
    laptop once, using a generic OEM XP Pro installation CD. What worked for
    me was to enter the generic product key first, during the installation.
    Later I needed to enter the Product Key on the COA sticker when it was
    time to activate:

    http://groups.google.com/group/micr...pport/msg/35e37f9b9b54654f?hl=en&dmode=source

    Good luck and let us know how you make out!
     
  4. Andrew E.

    Andrew E. Flightless Bird

    That xp cd will not work with another pc..The 25 letters/numbers was
    not issued by microsoft,it is thru the pc mfg with a volume
    license...Microsoft
    keys are always seperate from the pc,usually in or with its packaging.

    "Alan" wrote:

    > Hi all,
    >
    > I had to do a clean XP Home installation today on an old Compaq Presario
    > 2500 laptop for a client of mine.
    >
    > Because he had none of the Recovery or XP Installation CDs that came with
    > the machine, I called H-P to request a replacement set. However, because the
    > laptop is so old by their standards they had no installation media that I
    > could buy.
    >
    > I told the H-P/Compaq rep that I have a Dell OEM Windows XP Home CD that
    > came with my own machine. He said that XP should install okay using that --
    > which it did.
    >
    > I'm now trying to register Windows XP using the 25 Character XP Code on the
    > bottom of the Compaq laptop. While I thought it MIGHT just work over the
    > Internet, it was flagged as being incorrect.
    >
    > I then called the phone number listed and all I can get is an automated
    > voice response which tells me -- after I read the 54 character message
    > code -- that the code is wrong and "I won't be able to validate my
    > installation right now."
    >
    > Is there a phone number with a real person at Microsoft, who I can call and
    > activate this installation?
    >
    > Thanks very much.
    >
    > Alan
    >
    >
    > .
    >
     
  5. Daniel

    Daniel Flightless Bird

    Just to confirm that you used the CD Key numbers on the HP during install ,
    then
    tried to activate, the CD key numbers are not the activation numbers,
    automatic activation over the net should work fine, and so should manual
    activation
    if you follow the correct procedures including using the activation codes
    generated,
    you may be asked to confirm that the software is not installed elsewhere,
    but I doubt it.

    I only carry one XP install disk with me (and it happens to be a Dell) and
    use it on many different
    machines I repair and I have never had any problem with activation.

    cheers

    Daniel
    "Alan" <somewhere@nospam.not> wrote in message
    news:ulHgx3U#KHA.4316@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I had to do a clean XP Home installation today on an old Compaq Presario
    > 2500 laptop for a client of mine.
    >
    > Because he had none of the Recovery or XP Installation CDs that came with
    > the machine, I called H-P to request a replacement set. However, because
    > the laptop is so old by their standards they had no installation media
    > that I could buy.
    >
    > I told the H-P/Compaq rep that I have a Dell OEM Windows XP Home CD that
    > came with my own machine. He said that XP should install okay using
    > that -- which it did.
    >
    > I'm now trying to register Windows XP using the 25 Character XP Code on
    > the bottom of the Compaq laptop. While I thought it MIGHT just work over
    > the Internet, it was flagged as being incorrect.
    >
    > I then called the phone number listed and all I can get is an automated
    > voice response which tells me -- after I read the 54 character message
    > code -- that the code is wrong and "I won't be able to validate my
    > installation right now."
    >
    > Is there a phone number with a real person at Microsoft, who I can call
    > and activate this installation?
    >
    > Thanks very much.
    >
    > Alan
    >
     
  6. Daniel

    Daniel Flightless Bird

    Clarification: The CD Key used in install must be the CD key that belongs to
    the machine
    being installed on, not the key on the install disk being used.

    Daniel

    "Daniel" <noone@nowhere.com> wrote in message
    news:#5D3J9W#KHA.4652@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...
    > Just to confirm that you used the CD Key numbers on the HP during install
    > , then
    > tried to activate, the CD key numbers are not the activation numbers,
    > automatic activation over the net should work fine, and so should manual
    > activation
    > if you follow the correct procedures including using the activation codes
    > generated,
    > you may be asked to confirm that the software is not installed elsewhere,
    > but I doubt it.
    >
    > I only carry one XP install disk with me (and it happens to be a Dell) and
    > use it on many different
    > machines I repair and I have never had any problem with activation.
    >
    > cheers
    >
    > Daniel
    > "Alan" <somewhere@nospam.not> wrote in message
    > news:ulHgx3U#KHA.4316@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
    >> Hi all,
    >>
    >> I had to do a clean XP Home installation today on an old Compaq Presario
    >> 2500 laptop for a client of mine.
    >>
    >> Because he had none of the Recovery or XP Installation CDs that came with
    >> the machine, I called H-P to request a replacement set. However, because
    >> the laptop is so old by their standards they had no installation media
    >> that I could buy.
    >>
    >> I told the H-P/Compaq rep that I have a Dell OEM Windows XP Home CD that
    >> came with my own machine. He said that XP should install okay using
    >> that -- which it did.
    >>
    >> I'm now trying to register Windows XP using the 25 Character XP Code on
    >> the bottom of the Compaq laptop. While I thought it MIGHT just work over
    >> the Internet, it was flagged as being incorrect.
    >>
    >> I then called the phone number listed and all I can get is an automated
    >> voice response which tells me -- after I read the 54 character message
    >> code -- that the code is wrong and "I won't be able to validate my
    >> installation right now."
    >>
    >> Is there a phone number with a real person at Microsoft, who I can call
    >> and activate this installation?
    >>
    >> Thanks very much.
    >>
    >> Alan
    >>

    >
     
  7. PA Bear [MS MVP]

    PA Bear [MS MVP] Flightless Bird

    > I told the H-P/Compaq rep that I have a Dell OEM Windows XP Home CD that
    > came with my own machine. He said that XP should install okay using
    > that --
    > which it did.


    But did he say you'd be able to Activate the install?

    And what about the Compaq-specific drivers?

    I think you're SOL here. That being said...

    <canned>
    Please visit http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/ and click on the Validate
    Windows button then restart your computer.

    If you weren't able to Validate, proceed as follows:

    1. Download this diagnostic tool, saving it to your desktop:
    http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=56062

    => WinXP: Double-click on the executable to run the tool.

    => Vista & Win7: Right-click on the executable and select Run as
    Administrator to run the tool.

    2. After running the tool, click on the Windows and/or Office tab as
    appropriate and then click on Copy (to clipboard).

    NB: You may want to open a new Notepad file, paste the contents of your
    clipboard into it & save for future reference.

    3. Begin a new thread in the following Microsoft Genuine Advantage forum and
    paste the results from the WGA and/or OGA Diagnostic Data tool in a detailed
    post: http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/genuinewindowsxp/threads

    4. A troubleshooting specialist will analyze the data and recommend an
    appropriate solution.
    </canned>


    Alan wrote:
    > I had to do a clean XP Home installation today on an old Compaq Presario
    > 2500 laptop for a client of mine.
    >
    > Because he had none of the Recovery or XP Installation CDs that came with
    > the machine, I called H-P to request a replacement set. However, because
    > the
    > laptop is so old by their standards they had no installation media that I
    > could buy.
    >
    > I told the H-P/Compaq rep that I have a Dell OEM Windows XP Home CD that
    > came with my own machine. He said that XP should install okay using
    > that --
    > which it did.
    >
    > I'm now trying to register Windows XP using the 25 Character XP Code on
    > the
    > bottom of the Compaq laptop. While I thought it MIGHT just work over the
    > Internet, it was flagged as being incorrect.
    >
    > I then called the phone number listed and all I can get is an automated
    > voice response which tells me -- after I read the 54 character message
    > code -- that the code is wrong and "I won't be able to validate my
    > installation right now."
    >
    > Is there a phone number with a real person at Microsoft, who I can call
    > and
    > activate this installation?
    >
    > Thanks very much.
    >
    > Alan
     
  8. Alan

    Alan Flightless Bird

    Thanks to everyone for your replies, since I first posted this message last
    night.

    I managed to get a "real person" at Microsoft by calling the phone number
    listed in http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=295539. (Fortunately, for me it
    was before 9:00 PM Pacific time.)

    I explained the situation to the first person, who checked the 25 character
    Product Key affixed to the Compaq machine. He then escalated me to an
    Windows XP Activation support rep.

    This rep asked me for both the 25 character Product Key on the Compaq
    machine as well as the number shown in the Registered To field -- the one
    that displays in Properties after right-clicking on the My Computer icon.
    This number was the same as that which shows on my own Dell E520:
    76477-OEM-x x x x x x x - x x x x x.

    Either the numbers verified my story -- or I just had an honest voice --
    but he believed me. :->

    He had me go to the following page via Internet Explorer to bring up the The
    Windows Product Key Update Tool:
    http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/se...en&sGuid=0549415e-e9b3-465a-bd03-f178df022063.

    I agreed to the I understand this tool will send the above information to
    Microsoft message and then clicked on the Download radio button. In the File
    Download dialog box, I clicked Run and the application started.

    It was a simple process: I inserted the 25 character Product Key from the
    sticker on the Compaq machine and was instructed to re-boot. After
    re-booting, the Microsoft tech had me click on Start | Run and type in
    "oobe/msoobe /a" (without the quotation marks) to bring up the Windows
    Activation screen. I clicked on the "Validate by Internet" choice and
    received a message stating that Windows had been validated.

    As the last step, the rep had me go to the
    http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/default.aspx?displaylang=en where I clicked
    on the
    Validate Windows radio button.

    Everything is now kosher!

    Alan



    He then had me click on Start | Run. In the command window I typed
    "oobe/msoobe /a" to bring up the Windows activation screen. In the space
    where it says Enter Product Key if instructed

    As expected
    "Alan" <somewhere@nospam.not> wrote in message
    news:ulHgx3U%23KHA.4316@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I had to do a clean XP Home installation today on an old Compaq Presario
    > 2500 laptop for a client of mine.
    >
    > Because he had none of the Recovery or XP Installation CDs that came with
    > the machine, I called H-P to request a replacement set. However, because
    > the laptop is so old by their standards they had no installation media
    > that I could buy.
    >
    > I told the H-P/Compaq rep that I have a Dell OEM Windows XP Home CD that
    > came with my own machine. He said that XP should install okay using
    > that -- which it did.
    >
    > I'm now trying to register Windows XP using the 25 Character XP Code on
    > the bottom of the Compaq laptop. While I thought it MIGHT just work over
    > the Internet, it was flagged as being incorrect.
    >
    > I then called the phone number listed and all I can get is an automated
    > voice response which tells me -- after I read the 54 character message
    > code -- that the code is wrong and "I won't be able to validate my
    > installation right now."
    >
    > Is there a phone number with a real person at Microsoft, who I can call
    > and activate this installation?
    >
    > Thanks very much.
    >
    > Alan
    >
     
  9. Alan

    Alan Flightless Bird

    PA Bear,

    The Compaq drivers were not a problem. I went to the H-P website using my
    Dell PC, and downloaded whatever I needed.

    Then, using a thumb drive, I transferred whatever drivers I had downloaded
    to the Compaq laptop and installed.

    Alan

    "PA Bear [MS MVP]" <PABearMVP@gmail.com> wrote in message
    news:%232wrAcX%23KHA.4316@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
    >> I told the H-P/Compaq rep that I have a Dell OEM Windows XP Home CD that
    >> came with my own machine. He said that XP should install okay using
    >> that --
    >> which it did.

    >
    > But did he say you'd be able to Activate the install?
    >
    > And what about the Compaq-specific drivers?
    >
    > I think you're SOL here. That being said...
    >
    > <canned>
    > Please visit http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/ and click on the Validate
    > Windows button then restart your computer.
    >
    > If you weren't able to Validate, proceed as follows:
    >
    > 1. Download this diagnostic tool, saving it to your desktop:
    > http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=56062
    >
    > => WinXP: Double-click on the executable to run the tool.
    >
    > => Vista & Win7: Right-click on the executable and select Run as
    > Administrator to run the tool.
    >
    > 2. After running the tool, click on the Windows and/or Office tab as
    > appropriate and then click on Copy (to clipboard).
    >
    > NB: You may want to open a new Notepad file, paste the contents of your
    > clipboard into it & save for future reference.
    >
    > 3. Begin a new thread in the following Microsoft Genuine Advantage forum
    > and paste the results from the WGA and/or OGA Diagnostic Data tool in a
    > detailed post:
    > http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/genuinewindowsxp/threads
    >
    > 4. A troubleshooting specialist will analyze the data and recommend an
    > appropriate solution.
    > </canned>
    >
    >
    > Alan wrote:
    >> I had to do a clean XP Home installation today on an old Compaq Presario
    >> 2500 laptop for a client of mine.
    >>
    >> Because he had none of the Recovery or XP Installation CDs that came with
    >> the machine, I called H-P to request a replacement set. However, because
    >> the
    >> laptop is so old by their standards they had no installation media that I
    >> could buy.
    >>
    >> I told the H-P/Compaq rep that I have a Dell OEM Windows XP Home CD that
    >> came with my own machine. He said that XP should install okay using
    >> that --
    >> which it did.
    >>
    >> I'm now trying to register Windows XP using the 25 Character XP Code on
    >> the
    >> bottom of the Compaq laptop. While I thought it MIGHT just work over the
    >> Internet, it was flagged as being incorrect.
    >>
    >> I then called the phone number listed and all I can get is an automated
    >> voice response which tells me -- after I read the 54 character message
    >> code -- that the code is wrong and "I won't be able to validate my
    >> installation right now."
    >>
    >> Is there a phone number with a real person at Microsoft, who I can call
    >> and
    >> activate this installation?
    >>
    >> Thanks very much.
    >>
    >> Alan

    >
     
  10. Volunteer J

    Volunteer J Flightless Bird

    You're welcome.

    Thanks for the update.

    --

    Volunteer J - MS-MVP
    Digital Media Experience

    Notice
    This is not tech support
    I am a volunteer

    Solutions that work for
    me may not work for you

    Proceed at your own risk

    =====================

    > Thanks to everyone for your replies, since I first posted this
    > message last night.
    >
    > I managed to get a "real person" at Microsoft by calling the phone
    > number listed in http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=295539.
    > (Fortunately, for me it was before 9:00 PM Pacific time.)
    >
    > I explained the situation to the first person, who checked the 25
    > character Product Key affixed to the Compaq machine. He then
    > escalated me to an Windows XP Activation support rep.
    >
    > This rep asked me for both the 25 character Product Key on the Compaq
    > machine as well as the number shown in the Registered To field -- the
    > one that displays in Properties after right-clicking on the My
    > Computer icon. This number was the same as that which shows on my own
    > Dell E520: 76477-OEM-x x x x x x x - x x x x x.
    >
    > Either the numbers verified my story -- or I just had an honest voice
    > -- but he believed me. :->
    >
    > He had me go to the following page via Internet Explorer to bring up
    > the The Windows Product Key Update Tool:
    > http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/se...en&sGuid=0549415e-e9b3-465a-bd03-f178df022063.
    >
    > I agreed to the I understand this tool will send the above
    > information to Microsoft message and then clicked on the Download
    > radio button. In the File Download dialog box, I clicked Run and the
    > application started.
    > It was a simple process: I inserted the 25 character Product Key from
    > the sticker on the Compaq machine and was instructed to re-boot. After
    > re-booting, the Microsoft tech had me click on Start | Run and type in
    > "oobe/msoobe /a" (without the quotation marks) to bring up the Windows
    > Activation screen. I clicked on the "Validate by Internet" choice and
    > received a message stating that Windows had been validated.
    >
    > As the last step, the rep had me go to the
    > http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/default.aspx?displaylang=en where I
    > clicked on the
    > Validate Windows radio button.
    >
    > Everything is now kosher!
    >
    > Alan
    >
    >
    >
    > He then had me click on Start | Run. In the command window I typed
    > "oobe/msoobe /a" to bring up the Windows activation screen. In the
    > space where it says Enter Product Key if instructed
    >
    > As expected
    > "Alan" <somewhere@nospam.not> wrote in message
    > news:ulHgx3U%23KHA.4316@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
    >> Hi all,
    >>
    >> I had to do a clean XP Home installation today on an old Compaq
    >> Presario 2500 laptop for a client of mine.
    >>
    >> Because he had none of the Recovery or XP Installation CDs that came
    >> with the machine, I called H-P to request a replacement set.
    >> However, because the laptop is so old by their standards they had no
    >> installation media that I could buy.
    >>
    >> I told the H-P/Compaq rep that I have a Dell OEM Windows XP Home CD
    >> that came with my own machine. He said that XP should install okay
    >> using that -- which it did.
    >>
    >> I'm now trying to register Windows XP using the 25 Character XP Code
    >> on the bottom of the Compaq laptop. While I thought it MIGHT just
    >> work over the Internet, it was flagged as being incorrect.
    >>
    >> I then called the phone number listed and all I can get is an
    >> automated voice response which tells me -- after I read the 54
    >> character message code -- that the code is wrong and "I won't be
    >> able to validate my installation right now."
    >>
    >> Is there a phone number with a real person at Microsoft, who I can
    >> call and activate this installation?
    >>
    >> Thanks very much.
    >>
    >> Alan
     
  11. Doum

    Doum Flightless Bird

    "Daniel" <noone@nowhere.com> écrivait
    news:uyJn2AX#KHA.348@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl:

    > Clarification: The CD Key used in install must be the CD key that
    > belongs to the machine
    > being installed on, not the key on the install disk being used.
    >
    > Daniel
    >

    <snip>

    And the version on the CD must match the version on the COA sticker on the
    PC, ie : Home CD for Home sticker, Pro CD for Pro COA sticker, language
    must be the same.
     
  12. Daniel

    Daniel Flightless Bird

    "Doum" <me@domain.net> wrote in message
    news:XnF9D80AEF5B7AC5doumdomainnet@207.46.248.16...
    > "Daniel" <noone@nowhere.com> écrivait
    > news:uyJn2AX#KHA.348@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl:
    >
    >> Clarification: The CD Key used in install must be the CD key that
    >> belongs to the machine
    >> being installed on, not the key on the install disk being used.
    >>
    >> Daniel
    >>

    > <snip>
    >
    > And the version on the CD must match the version on the COA sticker on the
    > PC, ie : Home CD for Home sticker, Pro CD for Pro COA sticker, language
    > must be the same.
    >

    Yep, that's right.
     
  13. Twayne

    Twayne Flightless Bird

    In news:uDt2BmV%23KHA.1892@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl,
    Daave <daave@example.com> typed:
    > Alan wrote:
    >> Hi all,
    >>


    ....
    >
    > You should *not* have used a Dell-branded XP installation
    > CD, and the HP/Compaq rep should not have told you this
    > would work! The Dell-branded XP installation CD is locked
    > to Dell motherboards.


    Not so. My Dell T3400 workstation came with a complete, unlocked XP system
    disk and at the SP3 level along with a win7 install disc, but it was older,
    sans the SP for it. It's a win7 machine but I asked for XP Pro to be
    preinstalled, so they did that. First thing I did was wipe/reinstall XP Pro
    to my likings & partitions. So far, as long as I had their code, I've used
    it (a copy of course) to install two other XP machines; one an Acer and the
    other an HP. Dell gives the discs on certain, not all models. You have to
    read to see which is which, or ask.

    HTH,

    Twayne`
    ....
     
  14. Twayne

    Twayne Flightless Bird

    In news:%232wrAcX%23KHA.4316@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl,
    PA Bear [MS MVP] <PABearMVP@gmail.com> typed:
    >> I told the H-P/Compaq rep that I have a Dell OEM Windows
    >> XP Home CD that came with my own machine. He said that XP
    >> should install okay using that --
    >> which it did.

    >
    > But did he say you'd be able to Activate the install?


    That would be a silly omission and a silly comment, no offense.

    >
    > And what about the Compaq-specific drivers?


    Assuming the disc isn't locked to the Dell, which many are not: Any non-XP
    Compaq specific drivers are on the Drivers disc and a Programs Disk maybe
    with a different name anyway. If the only recovery ware is on-disk in a
    hidden partition, then what you say may be true. Dell is still a Quality
    outfit and provides the legit XP disc on many of its models.
    >
    > I think you're SOL here. That being said...


    Depends; chances are good he's OK.
    Good links below, BTW.

    HTH,

    Twayne`

    > <canned>
    > Please visit http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/ and click on
    > the Validate Windows button then restart your computer.
    >
    > If you weren't able to Validate, proceed as follows:
    >
    > 1. Download this diagnostic tool, saving it to your desktop:
    > http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=56062
    >
    > => WinXP: Double-click on the executable to run the tool.
    >
    > => Vista & Win7: Right-click on the executable and select
    > Run as Administrator to run the tool.
    >
    > 2. After running the tool, click on the Windows and/or
    > Office tab as appropriate and then click on Copy (to
    > clipboard).
    > NB: You may want to open a new Notepad file, paste the
    > contents of your clipboard into it & save for future
    > reference.
    > 3. Begin a new thread in the following Microsoft Genuine
    > Advantage forum and paste the results from the WGA and/or
    > OGA Diagnostic Data tool in a detailed post:
    > http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/genuinewindowsxp/threads
    >
    > 4. A troubleshooting specialist will analyze the data and
    > recommend an appropriate solution.
    > </canned>
    >
    >
    > Alan wrote:
    >> I had to do a clean XP Home installation today on an old
    >> Compaq Presario 2500 laptop for a client of mine.
    >>
    >> Because he had none of the Recovery or XP Installation CDs
    >> that came with the machine, I called H-P to request a
    >> replacement set. However, because the
    >> laptop is so old by their standards they had no
    >> installation media that I could buy.
    >>
    >> I told the H-P/Compaq rep that I have a Dell OEM Windows
    >> XP Home CD that came with my own machine. He said that XP
    >> should install okay using that --
    >> which it did.
    >>
    >> I'm now trying to register Windows XP using the 25
    >> Character XP Code on the
    >> bottom of the Compaq laptop. While I thought it MIGHT just
    >> work over the Internet, it was flagged as being incorrect.
    >>
    >> I then called the phone number listed and all I can get is
    >> an automated voice response which tells me -- after I read
    >> the 54 character message code -- that the code is wrong
    >> and "I won't be able to validate my installation right
    >> now." Is there a phone number with a real person at Microsoft,
    >> who I can call and
    >> activate this installation?
    >>
    >> Thanks very much.
    >>
    >> Alan
     

Share This Page