• Welcome to Tux Reports: Where Penguins Fly. We hope you find the topics varied, interesting, and worthy of your time. Please become a member and join in the discussions.

Absence of Malice (1981)

Paul

Master of None
Flight Instructor
Since we are looking at old movies, Absence of Malice is one of my all time favorites. The newspaper scenes remind me of how far we have progressed (is progress the right word?).

Screen Shot 2012-05-27 at 10.10.50 PM.png

Ah - even the opening scene is fun to watch. People are sitting in a smoke-filled room and watching a movie reel. Now we'd all be sitting around watching a PowerPoint. Wait - maybe that is so 2000. :D

Robert Heiny

Research Scientist of Learning and Education
Flight Instructor
When I come across a reference to "progress," I ask myself, "Progress toward what?" It seems to me that the use of the word "progress" or term Progressive are ways to hide a goal that not everyone will accept. Yes?

LPH

Flight Director
Flight Instructor
When I come across a reference to "progress," I ask myself, "Progress toward what?" It seems to me that the use of the word "progress" or term Progressive are ways to hide a goal that not everyone will accept. Yes?

Since the movie was made before personal computers - there are "many people" (See? I can be like Donald Trump) that would argue the computer age progressed man from an age of slow to fast communication. The progress allows us access to information.

Now - the flip side - we've progressed to a era in which misinformation spreads quickly.

Fortunately the basis of the movie remains: reporting every sneeze as news does not make someone a good reporter. It just makes them sleazy for using people.

LPH

Flight Director
Flight Instructor

Since the movie was made before personal computers - there are "many people" (See? I can be like Donald Trump) that would argue the computer age progressed man from an age of slow to fast communication. The progress allows us access to information.

Now - the flip side - we've progressed to a era in which misinformation spreads quickly.

Fortunately the basis of the movie remains: reporting every sneeze as news does not make someone a good reporter. It just makes them sleazy for using people.

LPH

Flight Director
Flight Instructor

Paul

Master of None
Flight Instructor
Progress assumes there is a destination. What is the final destination for technology?

Robert Heiny

Research Scientist of Learning and Education
Flight Instructor
I use technologies as tools to accomplish something else. Technologies are inanimate even when they interact in ways that make them look alive and willful. Self correcting, yes. Can they replicate, yes. Can they intrude into animate life, yes. But, they are only tools for one or more people to use them to accomplish something else. Yes?