• Welcome to Tux Reports: Where Penguins Fly. We hope you find the topics varied, interesting, and worthy of your time. Please become a member and join in the discussions.

A Decade of Tablets in Schools

Robert Heiny

Research Scientist of Learning and Education
Flight Instructor
On January 19, 2012, Apple announced its iBooks® 2 for iPad®, featuring iBooks textbooks, "an entirely new kind of textbook that’s dynamic, engaging and truly interactive."

For almost a decade, educators and learners have used Tablets in schools, starting with the initiative at Bishop Hartley High School in Columbus, OH by Kenneth Collura. He has been demonstrating that students can learn what they want when they want 24/7, including in structured classroom lessons. That learning occurs through text and static as well as increasingly dynamic images.

The Kahn Academy lessons demonstrate that students seek out sources of learning online that supplement and extend school lessons.

The Apple announcement signals a giant step forward in the computer industry's attempt to capture more of the school budget such as that indicated by Bishop Hartley High School and Kahn Academy. All, of course, in the name of helping to educate the next generation of students, who already have access to more smartphones with Internet access than do school based educators with any electronic communication tools.

Yet, with all the dynamic razzle dazzle that lessons on Tablets can provide, it remains an open question: To what extent do lessons for mobile devices increase the measured rate of learning by users?

LPH

Flight Director
Flight Instructor
The question about mobile devices raising scores overlaps school board policies against smartphones. My students reach for their phones constantly throughout a class period - calculator, dictionary, Internet site and texting. Having an iPad or Tablet PC almost controls this behavior and directs attention to material.

In terms of the quality, I purchased the $15 Environment text and it feels skimpy on content. I have not done a side-by-side comparison. The images do come alive in some areas.

Finally, $15 is better than an $89 book with the scribbles and ripped pages.

Robert Heiny

Research Scientist of Learning and Education
Flight Instructor
Glad to learn that the question, does the use of mobile devices (that includes tablets and smartphones) increasing learning overlaps with school board policies. I wonder what data your board used to ban the use of smartphones in classes. Was it anecdotal teacher complaints or did they have data indicating the use of the phones during classes affected academic performance scores?