1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

64 bit compilers

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Paul Richards, Mar 15, 2010.

  1. Paul Richards

    Paul Richards Flightless Bird

    Are there any free c/c++ compilers which will allow compilation
    targeting 64 bit WIndows 7?

    --
    Paul
    Melbourne, Australia
     
  2. John

    John Flightless Bird

    On Tue, 16 Mar 2010 01:28:31 -0500, "Paul Richards"
    <paulrichards@XXXNOSPAMiinet.net.au> wrote:

    >
    >Are there any free c/c++ compilers which will allow compilation
    >targeting 64 bit WIndows 7?



    Apparently Intel does, see
    http://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/using-intelr-compilers-for-linux-under-fedora/

    The cite is for Fedora but you should be able to glean enough
    information there to locate a source that fits your usage.

    From a cursory reading it looks as though the main difference is in
    the libraries.


    John B.
     
  3. GreyCloud

    GreyCloud Flightless Bird

    Paul Richards wrote:
    > Are there any free c/c++ compilers which will allow compilation
    > targeting 64 bit WIndows 7?
    >


    You might try http://gcc.gnu.org/
     
  4. Paul Richards

    Paul Richards Flightless Bird

    GreyCloud wrote:

    > Paul Richards wrote:
    > > Are there any free c/c++ compilers which will allow compilation
    > > targeting 64 bit WIndows 7?
    > >

    >
    > You might try http://gcc.gnu.org/


    Thanks for the replies, guys.

    What about the MinGW toolchain which uses the GCC software? I've found
    the mingw-w64 sourceforge.net project which describes itself as "a
    complete runtime environment for gcc to support binaries native to
    Windows 64-bit and 32-bit operating systems". I presume this will be OK
    on Windows 7 - am I correct in that assumption?

    For IDEs I have used Code::Blocks, Notepad++ and NetBeans on previous
    occasions.


    --
    Paul
    Melbourne, Australia
     
  5. GreyCloud

    GreyCloud Flightless Bird

    Paul Richards wrote:
    > GreyCloud wrote:
    >
    >> Paul Richards wrote:
    >>> Are there any free c/c++ compilers which will allow compilation
    >>> targeting 64 bit WIndows 7?
    >>>

    >> You might try http://gcc.gnu.org/

    >
    > Thanks for the replies, guys.
    >
    > What about the MinGW toolchain which uses the GCC software? I've found
    > the mingw-w64 sourceforge.net project which describes itself as "a
    > complete runtime environment for gcc to support binaries native to
    > Windows 64-bit and 32-bit operating systems". I presume this will be OK
    > on Windows 7 - am I correct in that assumption?
    >
    > For IDEs I have used Code::Blocks, Notepad++ and NetBeans on previous
    > occasions.
    >
    >

    NetBeans should work with the MinGW set. Of course I've used Netbeans
    on Solaris and it works ok, albeit it is different in trying to pull in
    outside files into a project... which is what you have to create before
    you can compile and run the program. Use the latest MinGW as I
    understand it will work with Win7. GCC has a switch...

    gcc -m64 -o filename filename.c the -m64 switch compiles to 64-bit.

    You have to realize that the standard gcc was designed for unix and
    linux oses. The MinGW is a port of gcc to windows. So, a lot of
    reading is in order.
     
  6. Paul Richards

    Paul Richards Flightless Bird

    GreyCloud wrote:

    > Paul Richards wrote:
    > > GreyCloud wrote:
    > >
    > > > Paul Richards wrote:
    > > > > Are there any free c/c++ compilers which will allow compilation
    > > > > targeting 64 bit WIndows 7?
    > > > >
    > > > You might try http://gcc.gnu.org/

    > >
    > > Thanks for the replies, guys.
    > >
    > > What about the MinGW toolchain which uses the GCC software? I've
    > > found the mingw-w64 sourceforge.net project which describes itself
    > > as "a complete runtime environment for gcc to support binaries
    > > native to Windows 64-bit and 32-bit operating systems". I presume
    > > this will be OK on Windows 7 - am I correct in that assumption?
    > >
    > > For IDEs I have used Code::Blocks, Notepad++ and NetBeans on
    > > previous occasions.
    > >
    > >

    > NetBeans should work with the MinGW set. Of course I've used
    > Netbeans on Solaris and it works ok, albeit it is different in trying
    > to pull in outside files into a project... which is what you have to
    > create before you can compile and run the program. Use the latest
    > MinGW as I understand it will work with Win7. GCC has a switch...
    >
    > gcc -m64 -o filename filename.c the -m64 switch compiles to
    > 64-bit.
    >
    > You have to realize that the standard gcc was designed for unix and
    > linux oses. The MinGW is a port of gcc to windows. So, a lot of
    > reading is in order.


    Thanks for the comment. I shall be polishing my reading spectacles!

    --
    Paul
    Melbourne, Australia
     

Share This Page