• Welcome to Tux Reports: Where Penguins Fly. We hope you find the topics varied, interesting, and worthy of your time. Please become a member and join in the discussions.

2012 Consumer Electronics Show Features

Robert Heiny

Research Scientist of Learning and Education
Flight Instructor
Tekla Perry, IEEE Spectrum Tech Talk, reports an analysis of invitations he has received of press releases for attending press conferences, demonstrations, and discussions of new and prototype products at the International CES (Consumer Electronics Show) 2012. Watch for his descriptions of what he sees with the new Stream TV 3-D for home use that does not require 3-D glasses. Also, for what he says about the big-screen OLED (organic light emitting diode) displays, expected to be introduced by LG and Samsung. LG says its 55-inch OLED TV will be less than .08 meter thick. These will be among the newest and largest screens using OLED technology, commonly found for years as phone screens.

I remember marveling, maybe at CES 2008, at a Sony TV just 3/8th of an inch thick; just a piece of 20+ inch glass showing a movie on a free standing holder in the company's booth. I wonder what will marvel you at the show this year!

Robert Heiny

Research Scientist of Learning and Education
Flight Instructor
Joan saw this morning, as she flipped through TV channels, a reporter commenting about seeing the big 55 inch LG TV. The reporter said the blacks were strikingly darker giving clearer images. Wish I had $5 to $8k to buy one for an independent product review.