• Welcome to Tux Reports: Where Penguins Fly. We hope you find the topics varied, interesting, and worthy of your time. Please become a member and join in the discussions.

XenWord Pro 2017 Is development still happening?

LPH

Flight Director
Flight Instructor
Of course.

I've been stuck on new users not understanding how XenWord operates. @Gracie became annoyed answering the same questions over and over and has demanded that I come up with a solution. She's put her foot down. She's right but a working solution has been a struggle.

My first thought was to rearrange the XenWord settings. This is in a redux framework ini file -- and it's a hornets nest from trying to get both XF1 and XF2 support. The on/off switch is now in the upper level and after the settings area. I wanted to do "Step One, Step Two, etc" and spent weeks trying that approach.

A second idea is this notification bar shown below. It shows after XenWord is activated and the master on switch is enabled. The problem is people (mis)interpreting what this means. Many do not understand http versus https cannot be mixed. The same happens with www and non-www settings. They then get redirected over and over and don't understand.

I'll keep working on the wording as well as maybe link to tech support articles explaining the settings.

XenWord Pro Notification Bar.png

royalrumble

Tween Bird
XenWord Professional
Good to hear from you @LPH - can understand @Gracie's frustration :p

As well as the above, you could perhaps tidy up install/upgrade resource (can be a little tricky to navigate and very easy to come across old, perhaps dated/no good instructions)

Also - perhaps you could consider offering a paid installation/upgrade service? I adore Xenword Pro but don't have the confidence to upgrade from XF1 to XF2 due to XenWord - if you offered a paid service I'd pay it, and it would perhaps limit tedious support requests.

LPH

Flight Director
Flight Instructor
As well as the above, you could perhaps tidy up install/upgrade resource (can be a little tricky to navigate and very easy to come across old, perhaps dated/no good instructions)

Yes. The XenWord Pro backend has been a moving target and I once again moved the backend to the order of installation. I hope it helps others.

Today's release

( 22 ) 2018.06.07 - June 7, 2018
Tested under WordPress 5.0-alpha & XenForo 2.07
Added notification bar and switch to disable after installation

( 21 ) 2018.04.4 - April 4, 2018
Tested under WordPress 5.0-alpha & XenForo 2.04
Added conditional to choose signature or About You in Author Bio
Bug Fix: User Mapping supports multiple secondary groups

LPH

Flight Director
Flight Instructor
Decided to add to this thread -- for no particular reason that I want to get back to the code.

Here is the latest screenshot of the XenWord Pro settings panel on release candidate 3. The cleanup of the sequencing in the ini file is much nicer, as well as adding in the installation steps into the file.

Other changes include:
Change CSS for notification bar to use position:sticky instead of position:fixed
Change CSS for Login Widget -- margin-bottom: 5em;
Bug Fix: Wrong hook for notification bar
Bug Fix: Community statistics widget default title

When will this be released? I'm going through different themes to see if the CSS changes are fine. You see that nothing is a show stopper and simply clarifying steps for people new to the bridge.

XenWord Pro README File.png