• Welcome to Tux Reports: Where Penguins Fly. We hope you find the topics varied, interesting, and worthy of your time. Please become a member and join in the discussions.

New Feature avoid "duplicate content" with iframes?

Ralle

Tween Bird
Hi,

is it possible to embed a Wordpress-post in the first post of a xf-thread via iframe? Then we would not have the "duplicate content" problem. And it would be right HTML-formated also, right?

Adam H

Young Flying Bird
The usage of iframe would be just as detrimental, the real solution to this kind of "portal" forum/homepage content replication would be to set the canonical URL in which ever version you wish to have indexed , so if you want the forum thread to be indexed the canonical URL would be the forum thread URL and visa versa.

With working with these kind of portal style setups i normally only have homepage threads in a certain section of the forum which is hidden to guests, so all posts that are shown on the wordpress site are seen as the only copy...........not ideal but Iframes are certainly not the solution.

Ralle

Tween Bird
mmmh, I do not plan to have the discussion-posts on the wordpress-pages. There will only be a link to the xenforo thread and the discussion unfolds there. So I would like to have the wordpress node indexed for the original news-post and the xf-thread-node for the discussion...

BUT If I would be forced to choose because I could only have one, I would only want to have the WP-nodes indexed, not the xf-threads.

So:
the automatic XenWord-threads will be in a specific xf-subforum. Do you think, I can put a nofollow on the branch of the forum (how?) and google will be happy?

Ralle

Tween Bird
The usage of iframe would be just as detrimental,
Are you sure about this? When I read this: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/12611091/can-i-add-rel-nofollow-to-iframe-tag and especially this: http://moz.com/blog/handling-duplicate-content-across-large-numbers-of-urls it sounds like iframes help in this matter.
They specifically bring up iframes as a tool to avoid duplicate content:

if you have some unique content, but you have a significant amount of content that you know is duplicate and you feel is still useful to the user, you want to put it on that page, you can use iframes to keep it kind of out of the engine's index, or at least not associated with this particular URL. If I've got this page here and I say, "Gosh, you know, I do want to put these user reviews, but they're the same as a bunch of other places on the web, or maybe they're duplicates of stuff that happened on other pages of my site." I'm going to take this, and I'm going to build a little iframe, put it around here, embed the iframe on the page, but that doesn't mean that this content is perceived to be a part of this URL. It's coming from it's own separate URL, maybe over here, and that can also work.

Adam H

Young Flying Bird
The usage of iframes especially in the manner you want to use them in my opinion is not the way to go, Iframes would be an absolute last resort. Like i said above the implementation of the canonical tag in some form or another would be the the ideal, and/or using Excepts of content on the homepage which leads to the full article and discussion on the forum.

There does need to be some work done to improve it as core XenWord functionality imo but there are plenty of things you can do to help your self such as only using excerpts, ensuring the forum threads get replies to bolster content on the main thread pages or if your using wordpress as a doorway like a portal then you could simply noindex/nofollow the wordpress versions with Yoasts plugin : https://yoast.com/wordpress-noindex-specific-posts-and-pages/

Ralle

Tween Bird
I do not want to use excerpts, because I want the users to be able to use the Quote-mechnisms of XenForo on the whole text.
And I also do not want the discussion on the wordpress-pages as that turns out to be plain ugly - especially when rendered on smartphones and with multipage-posts.

So I will just "hide" the whole forum from Google.