• Welcome to Tux Reports: Where Penguins Fly. We hope you find the topics varied, interesting, and worthy of your time. Please become a member and join in the discussions.

Mind-Reading Computers

Robert Heiny

Research Scientist of Learning and Education
Flight Instructor
Robert Heiny submitted a new blog post:

Mind-Reading Computers

Are you ready, asks Devindra Hardawar , for predictive tech to read your mind? The biggest change in how we interact with computers in years is underway and it requires less input from all but a few techies. It's way beyond voluntarily tapping or touching the command, input, publish, enter, or send buttons we all use now.

A simple Google search brings up what their algorithms identify as what you likely will use, based on your past selections, not necessarily the range of choices you may want to see. Google Now offers more refined and extensive predictions. Facebook includes ads among posts by family and friends for products and services related to searches you have conducted previously. It's hard to tell sometimes if your cousin really liked that product with her name on it, if the computer algorithm made the connection, or if you did something that triggered the ad. And have you met Cortana yet on your Microsoft based smart phone?

These phenomena appear as recent steps toward personal assistants at home, in cars, in classrooms, at offices, and during surgery. They appear to offer choices we may make, but which choices do we not make because of these assistants?

Did Dick Tracy and 007 ask for these devices to make their jobs of fighting evil easier, or are our 20th century social ways on the way out to join the buggy whip in museums and sideshows? Off-the-grid-inquiring-minds want to know, yes? So do some of us on the grid. We're lucky that way!

Read more: http://medcitynews.com/2014/03/ready-predictive-tech-read-minds/#ixzz305s9iRMS
Continue reading the Original Blog Post

Last edited:

nextgen

Teen Bird
XenWord Owner
Interesting and scary at the same time. Now even thinking could be monitored. That is all i need. After 2o plus years of marriage and in laws and needing to watch what i say was hard enough. Now if these start roaming around we wont even have private thoughts. LOL Wonder if i can still blame it on the kids some how.

All kidding aside though. nothing surprises me anymore. Look how far we have came in even my lifetime. I can imagine where we will be in a 100 years. Glad i will be a memory by then. I still hate computers in my cars.

LPH

Flight Director
Flight Instructor
I still hate computers in my cars.

Someone recently reminded me about the dangers of the computer in the car. While backing up, I was still looking around rather than watching the camera. They asked me why so I explained that it is better to verify with your own eyes. Some object can always be missed by the sensor and not seen by the camera.

A simple Google search brings up what their algorithms identify as what you likely will use, based on your past selections, not necessarily the range of choices you may want to see. Google Now offers more refined and extensive predictions.

This is the part that bothers me more than what lurks in the car - the actual reality of Google changing what is returned to me in search based on what I've done in the past. It's a bad idea because I'll have no idea what is being missed from other points of view, other ideas, other opportunities.